Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patreon? Kofi? Something else?
Patreon? Kofi? Something else?
Okay.  So Rob has said that he'd be willing to send me money just so I could sit down and write.  And others have said that they wouldn't mind sending me a bit of cash to help me keep a roof over my head.

Now, I've had this idea in the back of my head for a bit, but Rob's statement brought it back to the front burner.

Basically, I start a Patreon or Kofi or something else to help support me so I don't have to worry about income quite as much.

The nice thing about this is that I can set up polling to determine by popular demand which story I focus on, set myself up with a Betabooks account and let people in the higher donation tiers be my official prereaders, and other nifty things.

Like anyone just starting out with this sort of thing, I know I won't be able to do it full-time.  I'll still have to work and all.  But then I'll also be able to justify spending most of the day at my computer working on my stories.

So, feedback time.  What do we know about Patreon and other platforms like it, risks and rewards, and should I pull the trigger on this?

EDIT: A cursory search online reveals a very polarized divide. Which kinda puzzles the fuck outta me because, at first glance, the two services compliment each other nicely. One is a subscription system that allows for rewards and tiers. The other is a digital tip jar, geared towards one-time donations. But apparently some people just wanna fight it out.

Messages In This Thread
Patreon? Kofi? Something else? - by Black Aeronaut - 03-17-2020, 01:27 PM
RE: Patreon? Kofi? Something else? - by robkelk - 03-17-2020, 01:55 PM
RE: Patreon? Kofi? Something else? - by robkelk - 03-17-2020, 04:02 PM
RE: Patreon? Kofi? Something else? - by Labster - 03-18-2020, 03:20 AM