Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[IC][Story][Arc 1] Learning to Be Yourself
[IC][Story][Arc 1] Learning to Be Yourself
Star 
Ottawa, ON, Canada
January 17, 2017
10:17 AM

Mayumi Osaka looked up as the front door's chime rang, to see a nervous young woman walk into her shop. "May I help you, miss?"

"Well, I was hoping I would be able to help you. I'm looking for a job."

"I see." While she could use some help around the shop, she wasn't about to hire just anybody. The last thing she needed was to wake up in the basement, tied up and gagged, hearing somebody in the shop pretending to be her. Again. But she had to take a chance if she was ever going to hire anybody to work in the shop. "Do you have a resume, miss ...?"

"Hanyu. Mimi Hanyu. I'm sorry, but I don't have a resume to show you. And I don't have any previous experience in retail, either."

Mayumi frowned. "But you still think that you can work in a jewellery shop. Miss Hanyu, I have to wonder whether, as they say here, you were born yesterday."

"Would you believe I was born four days ago?"

She almost replied in the negative, but she realized that Ms. Hanyu was being completely serious. Either she was deluded, or she was involved in the weirdness that had started to overwhelm her life; either way, Mayumi wondered whether she should just ask this woman to leave now. Then she realized that her thoughts were showing on her face - and that Ms. Hanyu had read her expression.

"Please, Ms. Osaka, please give me a chance! I don't have a diploma, I don't have any relevant experience, I don't even have a resume because I've never worked for a wage. All I have is a couple of character references, who both suggested that I talk to you first."

"Ms. Hanyu, I'll be honest with you. From how you just described yourself, you are unemployable at any job more complicated than flipping hamburgers at a fast-food restaurant." But then she realized that Ms. Hanyu had addressed her by name, which she hadn't mentioned. "How did you know my name?"

"My character references - Rob Donaldson and Usagi Tsukino - suggested that I talk to you first. I can give you their telephone numbers, if you want to call them and ask about me. You are Mayumi Osaka, aren't you?"

Mayumi did her best to not let her amazement show. Ms. Hanyu probably wasn't deluded about having been born four days ago... but that meant she was involved with the weirdness that had seeped into her life. However, she had said that Usagi-chan was willing to vouch for her. Pulling out her cellphone, she replied, "There's no need for that; I have both of their numbers on speed dial." She almost tapped Usagi's speed dial button before remembering that she was in class, along with her daughter Naru. She tapped Mr. Donaldson's speed dial number instead. After a moment, the call connected. "Hello, Mr. Donaldson. This is Mayumi Osaka calling. ... You were? If you were expecting my call, then you probably also know why I'm calling. ... Yes, Ms. Hanyu is standing in front of me right now. ... Ah. I'll apologize to her after we finish our conversation." She winked at the other woman in the room, who smiled. "Is there anything important that I need to know about her? ... Yes, that is important. Can I assume that anybody who knows Tsukino-chan is Sailor Moon is trustworthy?" It was her turn to smile, as she saw Ms. Hanyu - Mimi - raise her eyebrows in surprise. "Oh. Well, I trust you; you've always told me the truth. ... No, I'll let her tell you. Thank you for your time, Mr. Donaldson." And, after giving him a chance to end the call, she ended it for him. Then she looked straight at Mimi. "Mr. Donaldson tells me that in this country it's extremely unusual to check somebody's references while the person is in the same room. I apologize for being rude, even unknowingly."

"Oh, that's all right. Think nothing of it," Mimi replied.

"He also tells me that you're from the same universe as Ms. Tsukino... so we have that in common." She smiled. "When can you start?"

Mimi's grin lit up the room. "Right now!"

Mayumi shook her head. "No, that's too soon. I have to draw up an employment contract for you to read and sign. Can you come back at 10 am tomorrow?"

"I'll be here! And thank you so much for being willing to take a chance on somebody like me."

"Well, we - what did Mr. Donaldson call us? Oh, yes - we displacees need to stick together. And now I have to figure out how to teach you the basics of retail - unless that's what you learned in school."

Mimi shook her head. "No, I'm hoping to go back to school starting next semester. I was a dramatic arts major back in Tokyo."

With that, Mayumi realized that Mimi's expressions throughout the impromptu job interview might not have been authentic. But if Mimi could play her emotions that way, then she could do the same with customers' emotions - and flatter them into buying more, and more expensive, jewellery without saying a word. What were the ethics of that?

"Is something wrong?"

"What? No, I was just thinking about what to teach you to do, and not do. Oh, we should make this formal." She extended her hand. "I'm Mayumi Osaka, the owner of the OSA-P jewellery shop. Welcome to the OSA-P family."

Mimi took her hand and shook it. "I'm Mimi Hanyu. Please take care of me."

OSA-P, Ottawa, ON, Canada
January 20, 2017
5:05 PM

It was quiet in the shop, so the two girls in the front room were chatting with each other while cleaning the glass display cases.

"You have a sister?"

Naru looked surprised at Mimi's question. "That's right. Why do you ask?"

"Tsukino-san said that you were an only child."

Naru's expression went from surprise to puzzlement. "Usagi's met Naruru. Why would she think I don't have a sister?"

Mimi thought for a moment, then replied, "I have no idea." Then she noticed a light blinking beside the cash register - discreet notice that the device Uriharu-san and somebody called "Washuu-chan" installed earlier that week had detected somebody approaching the front door. She quickly wiped dry the glass case in front of her and stepped behind the cash, squatting down to put her cloth and glass cleaner on the shelf below the till. Thus, she was hidden behind the counter when the door opened.

"Welcome to ... Oh, no."

That wasn't a good sign. Mimi stayed hidden.

"That's right. Just keep your hands where we can see them, cutie. We're taking everything you've got on display."

Naru's voice was shaking. "Please don't hurt me. Either of you. Please!"

So there were two of them. Mimi grinned... not noticing that she was grinning.

"Just do what we say, girl. Get the cash while she gets the necklaces out of there."

Mimi heard somebody grunt as he approached the counter she was hiding behind. No choice now. Do or die. She stood up, seeing just where the two thieves were. She pointed at both of them at the same time.

"Charm Buster!"

Bolts of black energy shot from her hands to their heads.

Both men stood transfixed for a moment, then slumped to the floor.

Mimi looked at her hands. "Did I just ... did I do that?"

Naru looked at Mimi in horror. "You're ... you're Mimete!" Then she saw the look on Mimi's face, and her fear was instantly replaced with concern. "What's wrong?"

Mimi looked at Naru, tears in her eyes. "Call Tsukino-san... please... I need her help..."

Blossom Apartments, Ottawa, ON, Canada
January 20, 2017
5:09 PM

The Good Neighbour System sounded an alarm. Of the three people in the room, Usagi was the closest to the display. She read the message, transformed to Sailor Moon, grabbed Rob (who had walked over to read the alert), and teleported out.

Ruiko - the only other person in the common room - looked up from reading the owner's manual that had come with her Christmas present. I guess I should let Mako-chan know they've left, she thought as she stood up and headed for the kitchen.

OSA-P, Ottawa, ON, Canada
January 20, 2017
5:10 PM

There was a flash in the middle of the store, and suddenly two more people were in the room. "I cannot stand by and watch while evil is taking place! In the name of ..." Sailor Moon realized that the only attackers present were already unconscious.

Rob cleared his throat. "What have we told you about monologues?"

"Ah-heh... After the fight?"

"Right." He turned to the others. "What happened?"

Mimi answered first. "They came in and tried to rob the store, and I ... I ... cast a spell at them."

"You didn't tell me you're a Witch!"

Mimi turned to Naru, tears still in her eyes. "I thought I wasn't a Witch any more! Please believe me!"

"And I did tell your mother that Ms. Hanyu used to be possessed, Ms. Osaka," Rob added. "I'm sorry; I should have told you as well."

"'Used to be'. So she shouldn't be able to cast spells! Should she?"

"I didn't know that I could still cast a Charm Buster!"

Rob quickly jumped in front of Naru, taking the blast himself. As he dropped to the floor, he muttered, "Pretty birdie, big black birdie, wants to eat my heart..." Then he lost consciousness.

Everybody stared at him, Mimi, or both of them. As Naru moved to put Sailor Moon between herself and Mimi, Usagi commented, "Okay, that just happened. Now what?"

"Maybe you should wake him up?"

"Oh, right. Moon Healing Escalation!" The room was suddenly filled with golden light, and Rob opened his eyes. "Ow."

The two attempted thieves groaned as they also regained consciousness... and Mimi grabbed them both and tossed them out the front door. Then she looked at her hands again. "How did I do that?"

As he stood up, Rob replied, "I'm guessing you gave yourself a magical strength boost somehow. Ms. Hanyu, please don't say the phrase 'Charm Buster' again."

"Yeah. Right."

"Thank you. Now, did you use the magic, or did the magic use you?"

The more Mimi thought about her answer, the more frightened she looked. Finally, she replied, "I think it used me."

Rob grimaced. "I was afraid of that. I think you need to learn how to use the magic that you have, so that it doesn't use you instead." Hearing the door to the back room open, he turned to see Mayumi walking in. "Ah, Ms. Osaka. Do you mind if Mimi takes some time off, once we find her a teacher?"

"Hey!" Everybody turned to look at Mimi. "Stop trying to decide my life for me! I can't take time off right now, I need the money to buy food and pay rent. And I need something normal in my life."

Rob raised one eyebrow in amusement. "And who collects the rent from you? I can cover your food bills for a few weeks."

"It takes years to learn magic."

"And I need somebody staffing the counter," Mayumi added.

"Mama, she's Mimete of the Witches 5."

"Not any more, I'm not! Why won't people believe me when I say that?" The tears finally started flowing down her cheeks.

"You cast two Charm Busters in five minutes."

Mayumi turned to her daughter. "She what?"

Usagi quickly stepped between the elder and younger Osakas. "We should tell this as a single story, and I think the only person here who knows it all is Mimi..."

Rob cleared his throat. "If you'll excuse me for a moment, I'll make a couple of calls while you're explaining things. We need to let Mako-chan know we're going to miss supper, and somebody needs to call Los Angeles."

At that, Mimi went for her own phone. "I should be the one to call L.A."

Rob nodded. "We both will - you call her, then I'll call her landlord."

to be continued...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
[IC][Story][Arc 1] Learning to Be Yourself - by robkelk - 08-22-2020, 11:59 AM