Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ic][STORY] February 2017 in Ottawa
[ic][STORY] February 2017 in Ottawa
Star 
That's a placeholder title for the forum. This is going into the main story thread on the wiki, so it doesn't need a "real" title.

EDIT: Post-retcon, all stories get titles. This one's is 5 vs 5

Ottawa, ON, Canada
February 4, 2017
11:27 AM

"I'm not talking to Mii right now."

Rob raised an eyebrow. "Why not?" he asked over his coffee cup.

"Her teams won yesterday."

"Playing what?"

"Basketball. The Hoops Classic games."

"Oh, right - the university matches. I didn't know you followed the varsity games."

Ami smiled. "I don't, but it seems like everybody else in my classes does." She took a sip of her own coffee. "Oh, this is good."

"Better than what comes out of the coffeemaker at home, right?" Rob took a quick sip of his coffee while Ami nodded. "Bridgehead is a local chain, and they do good coffee. I don't know what I'd do if they ever got bought out by one of the big chains." He put his coffee cup down. "But you wanted to talk where everybody else couldn't overhear us."

"I did, yes."

Ami took a long, slow drink from her cup.

People walked past the coffee shop, neither knowing nor caring what was happening on the other side of the shop's front window.

He didn't rush her.

"I finally got to talk with Hyoga about that link we all share."

He knew exactly which link she was talking about; under whatever spectrum it was that Skuld's glasses let them see, it manifested as a red string tied between their pinkie fingers. It was there when they first had the ability to look - which was after they had confessed their love for each other - and was strengthened when Hyoga learned how to stop her feelings for Rob from bleeding across their link. They thought that it would have dissolved once they discovered that their emotions were being controlled... but the connection was still there after they had used a divine wish to become free of outside influences.

"I'm almost afraid to ask what she said."

Ami knew that his love for her was real. She also knew he was three times as old as her, and respected that, so far, he had manifested his love for her only with words, not with deeds. She took another drink of her coffee to have an excuse to not answer for a moment - that let her choose her words carefully. "Hyoga's our protector now, just like Mamoru protects Usagi. And she cares for you deeply. She doesn't want to see you hurt."

"So, she ... did something?"

Ami nodded. "She strengthened and armoured the bond between us. The imposed bond isn't there any more - it's as if your wish untied the knots that somebody had tied to connect the red string of fate between us. But we excluded Hyoga from the wish's effect."

"Not by the wording of the wish, we didn't."

She shook her head once. "Not the wording, no, but Skuld knew the intent. It's Hyoga's red string between our fingers now, not Urd's or Peorth's or anybody else's."

Rob didn't know how he felt about that. "Can she untie it?" In a whisper, he continued, "And do I want her to?"

Ami sighed deeply, then pretended that she hadn't heard the whisper. "She can, but she doesn't want to. She says it's all or nothing, and she's afraid you won't like her any more if she changes things between us. Including between us and Mii."

"Oh, dear. Ami, you know what I think of you, and you know what I think of Mii - you were there when I answered you, and even if our emotions were being manipulated, in my case they were emotions that were already present." She smiled at his words; she still wasn't used to hearing a confession of love from somebody who she was sure that she loved in return. Then her smile dissolved - did she still love him? Not knowing Ami's thoughts, Rob continued, "But Hyoga doesn't know that. She knows what I think of her ..."

"So do I, every Friday night."

Rob looked startled. "Are we distracting you? I thought that she wasn't leaking her emotions across our link any more."

"It isn't that - Hyoga needs to consciously push an emotion across the link now, or purposefully listen for our emotions. But my apartment is directly above yours."

He winced. "Oh. I'm so sorry about that, Ami."

"Don't be." She smiled an honest, pure smile. "She deserves all the happiness you can give her, and if that's what makes her happy and it doesn't hurt you, who am I to complain? Especially considering what my birth certificate says. And I'll admit that some of the things the two of you say give me a different perspective on what my Gross Anatomy textbook says about the matter."

He was very happy that she was wearing her uOttawa coat and hat, and thus looked like a petite 18-year-old woman instead of her actual age - just in case somebody overheard their conversation. "I'll pretend I didn't hear you say that. Ask Mii why." They both knew that Mii knew the laws about such behaviour better than any of the others in their ... Group? Circle? Family? None of them knew what to call their relationship any more. "And I'll see about putting some soundproofing in my ceiling."

"Thank you, Rob."

"But getting back to what you said about the red string..." He sipped at his own coffee. "What do you want? This affects you, just as much as it does Hyoga and Mii and me."

She finished off her own coffee, carefully put the cup down in its saucer, looked straight at his face, and gave him an honest answer. "I don't know."

"If you want Hyoga to untie the red string between us, I'll respect that decision. But think about it. Don't rush to any decision. Talk with Mii about it, too."

She smiled at his trust in her. "Thank you, Rob. But I'm not talking to Mii right now, remember?" They both laughed at that.

As Rob's laughter trailed off, he replied, "I hope you'll take more than just a weekend to think about it."

"I've already taken a month."

He nodded. "It can be overwhelming, can't it?"

"The circumstances behind me being in Canada don't help, either..." She stopped talking as somebody outside the coffee shop caught her eye.

He looked at her, saw where she was looking, and looked outside to see an Asian girl with long hair who appeared to be a bit younger than Ami. She was carrying a large box or container of some sort, which she had wrapped her coat around... which showed that she was wearing a Tokiwadai school uniform.

"She'll probably talk to somebody her own age before she'd talk to me," Rob said. "Would you...?" But Ami was already out the front door. By the time he had his phone out, Ami was talking with the girl. He took a photo of the two of them through the window, and texted it to Mikoto and Kuroko with the question "Cosplayer or displacee?" and his GPS coordinates.

He just managed to put his phone back in his pocket when Ami lead the girl into the coffee shop. "How did you find your way here?"

"I honestly don't know. We were walking home from the veterinarian's clinic when I noticed that the temperature had dropped and I didn't recognize any of the buildings in the area. After I wrapped my coat around Ecaterina's carry-cage, I stepped out from the alleyway I had found myself in to discover that I had no idea where I was. Then you stepped out of this shop and spoke to me, and you know the rest."

Ecaterina's carry-cage. Not a cosplayer, he realized. He smiled at both girls, then said, "Thank you, Ami; it would be a shame to let this young lady freeze to death in our climate." Then he turned to the other girl "I suspect you're only carrying Japanese money. May I buy you a coffee or a hot chocolate, to help you warm up? You can pay me back once you've exchanged your cash for Canadian currency."

She looked at him with suspicion in her eyes. "Would you attempt to make a clumsy pass at me, knowing that I am ..." Rob and Ami joined in. "... Mitsuko Kongo of Tokiwadai?"

Mitsuko looked shocked for a moment, then regained her composure and continued, "I see that my fame has spread to wherever this place is."

"Ottawa, Canada, Miss Kongo. And my name is Rob Donaldson; I'm pleased to meet you." He noticed an odd shimmering in the air behind her - one that he knew he wouldn't have seen if he wasn't wearing the glasses that Skuld had given him.

"May I ask how you heard of me, Mr. Donaldson?"

"We told him what a pain you can be sometimes," said the girl who hadn't been there a moment before.

Mitsuko turned on her heel and confronted the girl who had just spoken. "That had better have been a poor attempt at humour, Shirai-san."

Kuroko looked Mitsuko straight in the eye. "You know that I don't like how you try to take advantage of oneesama being friends with you." Then she smiled. "But it's good to see you again, Kongo-san."

"You are behaving oddly, Shirai-san."

Rob cleared his throat. "We'll explain later. Ms. Kongo, do you have a place to stay in Ottawa?"

"I didn't even know that I was in Ottawa, Mr. Donaldson."

"Well, then ..."

Kuroko interrupted Rob. "Oh, no. Don't you dare say ..."

He ignored her. "I run a residence for displaced people, including Ms. Shirai, Ms. Misaka, Ms. Uiharu, and Ms. Saten. We have an available apartment."

"Aargh! You said it!"

"If you can tolerate the drama, you're welcome to use it while you're here." He turned from Mitsuko to Kuroko. "Oh, and Shirai-san, she's your school-mate. You get to explain the Metacontinuity to her."

The glare that Kuroko gave Rob in reply was, in his opinion, priceless.

Blossom Apartments, Ottawa, ON, Canada
February 4, 2017
12:05 PM

"Welcome to Ottawa, Kongo-san!"

She blushed at having the attention of everyone in the room (save for Maika) focused on her. Using her folding fan to conceal her unease, she replied, "Why, thank you! There was no need to welcome me with a banquet, though."

Maika looked at her with lidded eyes. "This isn't a banquet, it's just lunch. All we did was set an extra place for you."

"Thank you, Maika," Rob said to the building's maid before she could continue. Turning to Mitsuko, he continued, "We normally have more people here for weekend luncheons, but some of your new apartment-mates are out shopping today." He looked around and failed to see any of the Misaka Sisters, then remembered that the firing range was open. "Or out practicing their hobbies, or whatever else it is they're doing right now. Feel free to choose whichever seat you want."

Mitsuko looked pensive at that invitation, then announced, "Oh, I wouldn't dream of encroaching on your hospitality by taking someone else's accustomed seat."

"Oh, that isn't an issue," Ami answered before Rob could. "We usually change seats every meal, just so we can talk with everyone else at least once a week."

"In that case, I accept your kind offer. But I should see to Ecaterina's well-being before I dine."

Rob nodded. "I suppose you should," he replied, dreading the response that he was sure was forthcoming from almost everyone else in the room.

Sure enough, when Mitsuko unwrapped Ecaterina's carry-cage, Maika, Mamoru, and all of the Sailor Senshi recoiled in fear... except for Ami. "Oh, she's lovely!"

"How can you say that, Ami-chan? That's a snake! Probably poisonous!"

"She isn't venomous, Usagi. She's a python." Ami moved toward the carry-cage, close enough to get a better look but not so close that she'd frighten the snake.

Seeing this, Rob cleared his throat and said, "Perhaps she could stay in your apartment for the moment, Ami-san. We'll figure out which apartment Kongo-san can use after lunch."

Mitsuko looked at Rob for a moment. "You appear to be uncomfortable in Ecaterina's presence, Donaldson-san."

"Not uncomfortable, just respectfully wary of an animal who could crush me if I'm not careful around her."

"She would never do that! I keep Ecaterina fed properly; she has no reason to hunt for food."

Rob smiled. "I'm happy to hear that, Ms. Kongo." Then he looked at the other people in the room, all huddled against the wall farthest from Ecaterina. "But it would probably be best for the harmony of the house if she was to refrain from joining us at meals, at least for a few days until everyone becomes comfortable in her presence."

Mitsuko nodded. "I understand the situation perfectly, Mr. Donaldson. Even in my dormitory in Academy City, there are some people who believe the stereotypes instead of the facts about pythons. But this reminds me; you mentioned Ms. Uiharu is one of your tenants, but I don't see here here."

"Kazari's out getting her laptop upgraded," Ruiko said before Rob could reply. "She said she's probably going to be at Piffle all day, and she'll get lunch at Chiroru."

"Ah. Then I am sure that her seeing Ecaterina again will be a pleasant ending to her day." Mitsuko turned to Ami. "Would you be so kind as to show me where Ecaterina will be staying for the moment?"

As Mitsuko, Ami, and Ecaterina left the room. Rob leaned over to Ruiko. "You've texted her?"

"I texted everybody about Kongo-san as soon as you all got back."

"Thanks."

A few minutes later, everyone had relaxed and Mitsuko and Ami had returned. "Your lodging here is more spacious than my dormitory room at Tokiwadai, but less spacious than I am accustomed to at home. Are all of the apartments the same size as yours?"

"The ones that I've been invited to enter, yes," replied Ami. "Except for a few two-bedroom apartments, but those are all occupied by families."

Mitsuko did her best to hide her disappointment. "I see. Well, one must accept what is available."

"Shall we sit here?" Ami gestured to a four-person table, rather than one of the larger tables that had been set for lunch.

"I would be delighted to join you for luncheon," replied Mitsuko as Mamoru held her chair out for her. Ami sat to Mitsuko's left, and Kuroko quickly took the seat opposite Mitsuko when she saw that Usagi was joining them to Mitsuko's right. "Even if one of the company might leave something to be desired." Mitsuko turned to Usagi. "And who might you be, miss?"

Before either of the Senshi could answer, Kuroko said with some satisfaction, "You are in the presence of Her Royal Highness, Serenity II, heir-apparent to the throne of the Crystal Millennium."

"Oh! Oh, my."

"But you can call me Usagi," added said princess while taking both of Mitsuko's hands in her own. "Pleased to meet you!"

"Please, call me Mitsuko, then," she replied while wondering just who this girl was. The references were obvious, yet impossible.

Maika and Makoto served lunch - nikujaga, rice, and corn potage - and the girls did the usual pre-meal small ceremonies. "You're lucky," Kuroko commented. "Usually we eat western food on Saturdays."

"Would that be French cuisine, by any chance?"

Ami shook her head. "No, it isn't anything that fancy. This -" she tapped the rim of her soup bowl with her spoon. "- is more likely to be a heavier soup made with peas instead of corn, and the main dish is more likely to be a heavy stew than nikujaga."

"And some of the other dishes are unusual," added Kuroko. "What was it that Rob-san called last week's main course? Tory air?"

"Tourtière," Usagi answered. "I thought it was good. More meat and less bread than a steamed bun."

Mitsuko looked puzzled. "Isn't that French?"

"French-Canadian," answered Kuroko. "I remember that much. The one thing it has in common with nikujaga is that they're both home cooking."

"I see," replied Mitsuko, obviously not understanding at all. A moment later, she turned to Usagi. "May I ask whether that is your natural hair colour? Judging by the way you wear it, and considering the title that Kuroko told me was yours when I asked, one might think that you identify with the old Sailor Moon stories."

Everybody else at the table sighed in unison. Kuroko was the first to speak. "Kongo-san, Rob-san told me to tell you about the Metacontinuity. We may as well do that now, since you've brought it up. She is Sailor Moon, and Ami-san is Sailor Mercury."

"Your attempts at humour grow less believable every day, Shirai-san."

Ami whispered, "Shabon Spray," covering her own meal - and only her meal - in a dense fog.

"That is an unusual esper ability," Mitsuko commented.

Rob looked at the girls from the next table over. "I doubt she'll believe you without more evidence. How about we watch a beach episode of an anime after lunch?" Glancing at Mikoto, he added, "I'll stop it early."

February 4, 2017
1:34 PM

"That was me."

Rob nodded as he put the disc back into its case. "Yes, Ms. Kongo, that was you."

"That ... was me."

"We did try to warn you," answered Ami.

"That was ... me."

"I thought the animators did a pretty good job telling the story of that day," Mii mused. "At the time, I didn't realize just how good we all look in swimsuits," she added while silently resolving to buy a swimsuit that actually fit her once springtime came around - she didn't want just anybody seeing that much of her cleavage.

"That -"

"Get over it, will you?" Kuroko almost shouted as she teleported into Mitsuko's personal space. "If you can't handle that, there's no way you can handle the other shocks that are coming your way."

Mitsuko went pale. "You mean to tell me that I need to be ready for additional surprises?"

Just then, the common room's door opened. "We're home, Misaka Niiko announces while removing her coat."

"We used up all of our allotment of ammunition at the firing range, continues Misaka Rei."

"So you'll need to pay for more, Donaldson-san, Misaka Nana adds, hoping that her request will be fulfilled soon."

"Oh, but I see we have a guest, observes Misaka Kokono. Hello." The barest ghost of what might be the precursor to friendly smiles appeared on the clones' faces.

Mitsuko blinked. Twice.

Completely deadpan, Kuroko said, "Surprise."

February 4, 2017
2:57 PM

Rob poured tea for Mikoto. "I'm impressed by how well Kongo-san took everything. She didn't lose her composure even when she met Accelerator."

"I think she was numb by then," Mikoto answered as she poured tea for Rob.

"Meeting Mimi - Last Order Mimi - and Chibi-Usa seemed to cheer her up, though. Where is she right now?"

"Usagi, Rei, Mimi - the older Mimi - and Ami took her to the sparring room, so they could show off their powers. Mitsuko-san asked to see what real magic looks like."

Rob nodded in approval. "We're going to have to start calling them Mimi M and Mimi H, or something else to keep them sorted out." Then he sighed. "Why do people from Academy City keep showing up here, though? I thought that this whole Metacontinuity was an emergency thing that would be over and done with in a month or two, then we'd all go home. That's why I said we should all attend the Halloween party in San Antonio - I thought it might be the only chance we'd all have to get together. But it looks like nobody's going home yet."

"It's not just people from Academy City, Rob. Think about it: First we showed up, then the Sailor Team showed up, then Accelerator and my clones showed up, then Mamoru-san, Chibi-Usa, and the Mau showed up, then Maika arrived, then we rescued Touma and Index, then the Osakas arrived, then we rescued Mimi, and now Kongo-san is here."

Rob sipped at his tea while he thought for a moment. "There was almost a regular alternation going there."

Mikoto looked worried at that comment. "Maybe there was a regular alternation, but we missed seeing some people."

He thought about her comment for a moment. "If that's true, who did we miss?"

She shrugged. "If we're lucky, some of Kuroko's classmates. If we're unlucky," she held up a copy of volume 12 of Touma's light novel series, "someone from the Roman Church, one or more of the Kihara family, or one of the other Level 5s. Or maybe the other Witches 5."

"If it happened at all," Rob pointed out. Then he frowned, remembering something that Ben had joked about during the Halloween party. "I think I'll ask the goddesses why we keep getting people from your worlds showing up, and see if they'll give us a list of people to look for."

"Will they answer?"

"Maybe. But I'm sure of one thing: They definitely won't answer if I don't ask."

Elsewhere
Same Time

"What are you reading?"

He looked up at his girlfriend. "Books about us."

"Is there anything in them that wasn't in the anime about us that you found?"

"Plenty. And you need to read the parts I bookmarked in volumes 15 and 19." He handed his tablet to her.

Five minutes later, she said, "We have to leave while we still can."

"All three of us, yeah. But where can we run to?"

She handed the tablet back to him, took a few of her pills, let them take effect, then concentrated. Shaking from the drug's side-effects (and her terror at what she'd read), she finally pointed. "That way. A long way away."

He already had a map running on the tablet. Drawing a line, and extending it again and again as he re-scaled the map, he finally said, "Looks like we're headed to ... Ottawa."

To be continued ...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
[ic][STORY] February 2017 in Ottawa - by robkelk - 11-20-2020, 08:37 PM