Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][META] Writer dropout
RE: [OOC][META] Writer dropout
After thinking about it, I'll be willing to accept Labster's idea for dealing with Raj's character.

I still have concerns in dealing with the tenants, though.

While working on another story, Rob and I have already established that being without the supervision of an apartment manager is... well, it isn't that it's not allowed, per se... but it puts a person on the Demons' radar in a way they might not find to be comfortable.

And Mal and his crew are now on Earth That Was.  You honestly think that they're not going to want to hang around to see what parts of their history is actually Alliance Propaganda?  Or enjoy some culture that is absolutely unfettered with the taint of the Alliance?  Yeah, sure, they're gonna want to run around the system a bit...

...But the thing is, there's nothing out there.  Nothing worth doing much with, anyhow, in the little time that they're supposed to be there.  And Sol system, when compared to the star system they came from, is downright puny.  Yeah, having Valley Forge out there orbiting Saturn is a cute idea, but we're getting ahead of ourselves with that.  That's Season 2 material - the point at which the shit really hits the fan and fictional cities and orbital platforms start showing up.  We're still dealing with Season 1 for the most part where it's mostly just the main characters and a few of the more popular side characters.

That said...  Sure, they can go prospecting.  But there'd be no point to it since the implication during Season 1 is that everyone's going back in about a year or so.  They'd only be able to just barely accomplish the initial stages of a small mining colony, which are the most hazardous.  There'd be no real payoff for making that investment.

Sorry to seem like the Fun Police here, but we are trying to at least keep this somewhat deconstructionist.

Another thing to consider is how little Raj submitted while he was with us.  If we are having his character "re-assigned" near the end of Season 1, then that's a lot of filler material we'd have to come up with.

And besides, I can't see something like the situation we've concocted being a slow-boil thing.  Ritsuko, Kaji, and Misato will all be quick to call the fowl, and Mal would be quick to side with them for the sake of protecting the Pilots, because what Raj's character pulled was some Alliance-level BS.  And let me tell you, he ain't havin' any a'that!  Even Jayne would think it's a pretty scummy thing to do - tricking someone to con them out of goods or money is one thing, but trying to trick someone into buying into your beliefs?  Yeah, he'd be all, "Fuck this shit, I'm out."

All that said, I would really like it if these characters were more active in the setting.  The question of, "What do Big Damn Heroes do when they're forced to take an extended vacation?" is an interesting premise to write about, even if it is more slice of life than anything else.  And I'm sure that we can come up with some suitable antagonists if we really need to.

For my part... I would like it if Mal and his crew came to Westwoods for one primary reason: Inara.

For one thing, there's her terminal condition that needs to be dealt with.  Washu would probably want her to stick around for a month or so to monitor her condition just to make sure its licked for good.

For another, Ben would REALLY appreciate her being there to act as a sort of safety observer for the relationship between himself and Fate and Nanoha.  He wants to love those two very much, but they're still just kids, which means they really need to wait.  Inara would be the perfect person to have watching for developing problems and gently nudge them down along a path that has the best outcome.

For the Evangelion crew...

There's a LOT of unresolved issues there.  Sebastian might say that the series ended on one Hell of a note, and he'll mean that literally.  But now?  Rei is back to being part of the Human Race instead of being the Human Race, but that's still going to be a lot for her to unpack.  Asuka and Shinji are both ready to start healing, but they still need to go through that process.  The Adults (Ritsuko, Maya, Misato, and Kaji) all need to get their heads around what the hell they just went through.  Touji, Hikari, and Kensuke... are more or less okay.  Confused as all hell, but okay.  They form a critically needed clique of friends for Shinji and Asuka - people that they are familiar with who are more or less normal (at least by their standards).

And there'd be a lot of opportunities for good interactions with the rest of the Westwoods residents - particularly with the FMP crew.  They'd probably get along well enough that they might even want to go back to that world instead.  There's not much left for them in their native timeline, anyhow.

Sooo....  Thoughts?

Messages In This Thread
[OOC][META] Writer dropout - by robkelk - 01-14-2021, 08:50 AM
RE: [OOC][META] Writer dropout - by robkelk - 01-14-2021, 06:50 PM
RE: [OOC][META] Writer dropout - by Labster - 01-14-2021, 09:35 PM
RE: [OOC][META] Writer dropout - by Norgarth - 01-14-2021, 11:51 PM
RE: [OOC][META] Writer dropout - by Black Aeronaut - 01-15-2021, 04:26 AM
RE: [OOC][META] Writer dropout - by robkelk - 11-14-2021, 10:31 PM
RE: [OOC][META] Writer dropout - by Labster - 11-15-2021, 01:39 AM
RE: [OOC][META] Writer dropout - by Bob Schroeck - 11-15-2021, 09:01 AM
RE: [OOC][META] Writer dropout - by Norgarth - 11-15-2021, 04:53 PM
RE: [OOC][META] Writer dropout - by Dartz - 11-15-2021, 05:26 PM