Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX
...Alright, now that I've had a good night's sleep and some breakfast being prepped, let's get through all of this, shall we?

(06-25-2021, 07:10 PM)LynnInDenver Wrote:
(06-25-2021, 05:44 PM)Labster Wrote: So, I haven't commented much lately, but let me start with saying that the Fandom decision is pretty bad. What GethN7 posted was terribly ignorant, but people are ignorant on the internet all the time and they don't ban all of those people. Instead of trying to correct someone who was trying to follow the rules after years of service, they just banned him. This is cancel culture at his dumbest.
Yeah, this doesn't track at all in my mind, especially considering the following:
Quote:I would agree that Geth should have been given the opportunity to prune his views off the post first before being banned. The pointing out of the views and how he's having to stifle them because of the local rules was, shall we say, absolutely and utterly unnecessary even in the context. It doesn't help prove the point in the discipline he was metting out, and indeed may have also harmed his position because, "well, maybe you should be fighting for me instead of asking me to follow these 'asinine' rules."

Precisely. Nothing obligates him to share his views publicly, and lest we forget: that he can doesn't mean he should.

Beyond that, if a user on ATT flouted openly and repeatedly about following "inconvenient" rules while doing nothing to actually suggest or facilitate improvement, I get the feeling they would be unceremoniously booted - and rightfully so.

This is to say nothing of being in a position to enforce said rules, as it then begs the question of why one would bother taking the position if they could not put their views aside for the community's good - I would think we saw TVTropes's decline as a result of what happens when you cannot divorce the two.

(06-25-2021, 05:44 PM)Labster Wrote: But let's go back to the ignorance. What he wrote shows he hasn't thought things through that much. You didn't even define transgender correctly; no hormones or body alteration is required to be trans. Do you even know any trans people, Geth? I have three friends, and three more acquaintances, who are trans women. You didn't think about it from their perspective, obviously. But you're failing at the religious perspective, too. First principles is: "Love the Lord your God and love your neighbors as yourself." Does what you said show love to these people? I think it fails at that. There is perhaps an argument to be made on the last clause about whether trans people love themselves, but that's neither here nor there because it's honestly not your business. You know what can overcome "immutable reality"? Faith, that's what. Sheesh.

+1 - for being such a stickler about beliefs, it seemed incredibly convenient to dispose of that particular one when the opportunity arose.

(06-25-2021, 07:56 PM)LynnInDenver Wrote: Bringing up your views as "noted reservations" wasn't being obedient in this case. They don't stop you from having the views and ideology, they just make it clear they don't want the views and ideology expressed on their site. If they wanted you to stop having the views and be a "mindless drone", they'd be attacking you anywhere you express it, rather than just showing you the door.

Hard +1.

Quote:I believe you're not the first one to be banned for such expression, but I'm sure they've had enough of trying to give chances and having the chances wasted, and they're through wasting the time presenting the chances to begin with.

I agree. See also the proliferation of shoddy anonymous edits that was cited as the rationale for disallowing anonymous editing altogether.

Quote:[...]this has still removed a key condition for the FANDOM fork being allowed to use the All The Tropes trademark. I will point this out where everyone can see it: it is not the fault of the fork that the license is now in jeopardy of being pulled. Nor is it technically the fault of FANDOM, even with the "no second chances" drop of the banhammer.

But for this I might've been tempted to let this entire thing sit, or at least not harp on about it as long - as it stands, I had to read about a cease and desist being considered for an affiliate that lost the copyright to the ATT name due to being put in an unfavorable position through no real fault of their own.

That hasn't sat well with me, quite honestly, and in addition to adding a name to my own ignore list, I have to give serious thought to what actions I should take regarding my own contributions to troping moving forward. This is not something I particularly enjoy having to make known - but as it happens, my /own/ beliefs make it very difficult for me to sit on my hands instead of acting on what I know.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX - by Umbire - 07-12-2021, 12:51 PM