Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I ranked every episode of OG BGC. And ADP Files. And BGCrash. And two other OVA's.
RE: I ranked every episode of OG BGC. And ADP Files. And BGCrash. And two other OVA's.
(11-04-2021, 05:03 PM)Dartz Wrote: 2040 had a decent idea and started well - if with a slower and more deliberate energy that comes from having time to build. It had some interesting ideas on the origin of the Boomer brains, and the early hardsuit stuff was interesting where Linna introduces us to the world of the Knight Sabers.  It just sort of went off the rails in a desperate attempt to do the Eva thing but without having the excuse of running out of budget.

The Giant naked space chick and the Ecco the hardsuit were, well, significant low points in the experience. I

Imma keep it real with you chief, I think it was trying to be Eva from the beginning, was off the rails from its genesis. The five-minute battery bullshit was not an accident. It was co-produced with ADV, and so I assume the logic was to make Eva again as a cash-grab, and AIC figured what the hell, might as well.

The other flipside of the budget issue is that even up until the last 2 episodes Eva looks pretty damn good, especially compared to how broke-ass even OVA’s were in the 90’s. From what I’m given to understand, what made Eva go off the rails was Anno’s own self-loathing and scheduling problems. They had to cut a whole episode where the Angel was a gas of sorts (I think it probably was the Iruel episode) because, you know, Aum Shirikyo. 
But BGC resorts to bullshit from like the second episode - I still remember the scene used in ep2 (and reused in ep3) where Linna is stuck in a sim of Priss while Priss backflips from another tentacl-y Boomer like seven times, an animation cycle which focuses mostly on the arms and head so it doesn’t have to animate too much of the backflip. This was how the show was meant to be, I assume, cheap and yet a guaranteed return because it was akin to Eva and fanboys love that show, right? Throw in some cheap yuri-bait and we’re good, it’s a guaranteed return on investment fellas.

I’m not going to work on ripping 2040 on the regular, no. I’m gonna try to do a few more fanfic reviews, since that feels more… positive? Even reviewing the bad ones feels kinda cathartic. I promise YT2032 isn’t on the shit list, though..

Messages In This Thread
RE: I ranked every episode of OG BGC. And ADP Files. And BGCrash. And two other OVA's. - by STMPD - 11-04-2021, 09:27 PM