Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semi-Non-Important Pseudo News
Re: Semi-Non-Important Pseudo News
Replying to Jeanne's post...
Quote:
Sounds pretty dumb to me, requiring a close for paragraphs when 99 times out of 100 it's just going to be immediately followed by an open-para tag.
If you're just using the default styles, then it doesn't make much sense, no. But if you start playing with CSS, then it becomes vital - if you have a open-paragraph tag followed by another open-paragraph tag, are you defining two paragraphs in a row or two nested paragraphs?
Quote:
Also sounds like I'm not going to bother with HTML4 if I don't have to.
HTML4 isn't that different from what you're using, actually. The biggest thing you have to remember is to close everything that you open (which is just polite... )
Quote:
Sure doesn't sound very efficient - I wonder why someone thought setting the font tags over and over with every paragraph was more efficient than setting it once and not messing with it again unless or until something changes.
CSS is designed to set things once and not mess with it again, actually - the programs that set the style on every paragraph are horridly broken.
Using my fanfic CSS as a sample:
body {background-color:white}
I want a white background on all webpages that use this sheet. (Yes, it's the standard, but I've seen some browsers that use light grey instead - I don't want that.)
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {color:black;font-familyConfusedans-serif}
I want all the header lines to have black letters (the standard), and in a sans-serif font (not the standard).
hr {margin-top:0.4cm;margin-bottom:0.4cm;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;clear: both}
I want all hard separators to have 0.4cm of whitespace above and below them (smaller than the standard), stretch all the way to the left and right sides of the page (longer than the standard), and force the next paragraph to start on a new line rather than wrapping around any tall image above (not the standard).
p {color:black;text-indent:0.5cm;margin:0;font-familyConfusederif}
I want all paragraphs to start with a half-centimeter of white space on the first line, have no white space before or afterwards, and be in a black serif font. (Only the font is standard - the rest is custom.)
snipping a bit...
img {font-size:medium;font-weight:normal;font-familyConfusedans-serif}
I want any text associated with an image to be the same size and boldness as the rest of the text, but in a sans-serif font. (I put this line in for one case - an image of a handwritten line of text. If the image doesn't load, then the ALT tag on the image will show up in the same size font as the rest of the story, so the reader won't have any problem following the story.)

It's only when I want to override any of these for some paragraph that I have to code it on the paragraph; all the others get these automatically.
There are some good tutorials for CSS (and HTML) on the web...
-Rob Kelk
(Edit to have the colon-b pair show up as a colon-b pair instead of a smiley - stupid EZBoard...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Messages In This Thread
Semi-Non-Important Pseudo News - by Jeanne Hedge - 08-06-2005, 04:54 AM
Re: Semi-Non-Important Pseudo News - by robkelk - 08-06-2005, 05:37 AM
Re: Semi-Non-Important Pseudo News - by CattyNebulart - 08-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Re: Semi-Non-Important Pseudo News - by Jeanne Hedge - 08-09-2005, 02:43 AM
Re: Semi-Non-Important Pseudo News - by Jeanne Hedge - 08-09-2005, 02:48 AM