Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ur-Magical Girl
The Ur-Magical Girl
Musing about Sailor Moon this weekend, I realized that there is an American prototype for the transforming, short-shirted, magically-powered (pre-)teen girl hero, and she was first published sixty or more years ago: Mary Marvel, from Fawcett Comics (later DC when they bought the Fawcett line). With the Crisis on the Infinite Earths back in the 80s, Earth-S was incorporated into the single generic DC Earth, and the Marvels became part of the continuity, and as such were updated to the current time period. Which led me to wonder... how about a crossover fic sending Mary Batson/Marvel to Juuban? Five ranged weapons and one close-in brawler who's almost on Superman's level... might be fun.
More on this as it develops.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Mary Marvel Anime Girl
I'm actually trying to write a Mary Marvel as an Anime Girl type story, sort of an elseworld, since a lot of the elements of the pre-crisis Marvel Family fits the magical girl mode.
Fer instance: Mary says a magical phrase to go into an ADULT super-human body.
The person who told Mary to say Shazam was Tawky Tawny, an anthropomorphic tiger in a green tweed suit.
Re: Mary Marvel Anime Girl
Murmur, please drop me a private email, okay? Thanks.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Mary Marvel Anime Girl
Mary really didn't age that much, she just became "prettier" (much in the way that Clark Kent can't be Superman because he wears glasses; people just don't notice that Mary and Mary Marvel are the same). At least, in the books that I've seen her in. Billy was really the most radical of the transformations, since Freddy didn't change much either when he became Capt. Marvel Jr. (Funny aside: CMJ recently joined the Teen Titans, about 2-3 years ago. The audition ended poorly because he couldn't tell them his name, for fear of transforming. Circumstances allowed them to understand later.)
Anywho, that notwithstanding, I suppose that she could follow the Magical Girl formula, but she's much more sedate than many of the magical girls that I'm familiar with. The Wisdom of Solomon makes for a much more calm and sensible heroine.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Re: email
I sent you a reply to your email a few days ago; hope you got it all right.
You know, in retrospect, I think that it came out WAY TOO snarky and just plain mean than I meant it to. Interesting concept overall, and I know that the execution will be all right.
Re: email
Oh, yeah, I got it; I'm just way behind on replying to my email. I hope to get to it sometime this weekend, but it's already Sunday morning...

-- Bob
---------
So
How're you doing on this, anyway? Have you worked on it at all or have you abandoned it?
-murmur
Re: So
It's pretty much where it was when you last saw it. I let your reply sit in my inbox, where it remains to this day, with the intent of getting back to it when I finished That Damned Book. Unfortunately, I've been lazy about my correspondence since then. I wouldn't call it abandoned, not by a long shot; I do want to finish it. But it's going to require some serious work -- as you recall, it was more the beginning of a story than anything else, without a real plot yet. I need to solve that problem before I can really go further.

-- Bob
---------