Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kick ALL the Starters!
RE: Kick ALL the Starters!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/189...ddity-high

Derek Ehlmann Wrote:Oddity High is a tabletop RPG about the life of a Japanese high school student - one who’s also got one foot firmly in the bizarre. It's influenced from the ground up by anime, manga, and video games that take the life of a high schooler and drive it off the deep end: Haruhi Suzumiya, the Persona games, Hatoful Boyfriend, and many more.

You're a high school student that's probably nowhere close to being ordinary. Whether you’re dealing with aliens, psychics, ghosts, demons, eldritch gods or sentient cats is up to you - but whatever it is, you’re in the thick of it. Fortunately, by happenstance or by design, you’ve got a gang of like-minded, equally-abnormal friends at your side - and with their help, you’ve got a fighting chance at surviving it. Just don’t forget that you’re also going to need to survive high school, as well.

It's powered by the Apocalypse World engine, but unlike most PBTA games, you start with two playbooks: one for your so-called Real Life, and one for your Other Life. "So, for example, you can be a Model Student that's a member of a secret agency, a Space Cadet who's really a robot, or an Otaku that, despite all odds, is actually an ordinary human." (The Other-Life Playbooks for those are respectively Plainclothes, Interface, and Vanilla.)

The first update includes the current state of the game files -- one book of rules, one collection of all the playbooks, and one sheet listing the basic moves -- and I'm glad I bought in. Particularly, while all the character examples cited are from anime and manga, there's technically nothing that stops one using this game to play out events at a Weird version (or even a Silly or Dark version) of Illuminati University (except, of course, that it would give Beth and Walter a sad).
RE: Kick ALL the Starters!
And that's it for this thread. Time for a new one!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....