Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Up
It's Up
www.eclipse.net/~rms/dw2-15.html
Once again, habitues of this forum get first crack at the chapter, before the FFML or anyone else. All I ask is that you post your comments, good and bad.
I hope it doesn't disappoint. Have at it!

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Re: It's Up
Oh, and I'm still working on the Concordance. I'll post here when it's been updated.

-- Bob
---------
^_^ I would like to congratulate you Bob on fininshing this step at last.
And now! On to the story!
*WF goes to read the final chapter of this step*
copying to laptop for consumption at work now.[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Gah. Now I have to finish OMB11. What a lovely time for my girlfriend to move in. :/--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Which one? Ami or Rachel?

-- Bob
---------
Bob Wrote:
B> I hope it doesn't disappoint.
You are too modest, Bob. I enjoyed it very much.
Quote:
"But you know them all already, of course. Lee and Elizabeth were positively gifted when it came to designing them. Their greatest success was, of course, Arcanum." He shook his head. "Lee could play him so well -- such unrelenting, untouchable evil."
Unquote.
I'm touched. It almost makes me wish I had revealed the totality of Arcanum's nastiness to you, but then, Quincy would be that much more nasty now wouldn't he?
Quote:
"''?" the Chairman laughed.
"Yeah," Sangnoir replied smugly. "Exactly."
"Ah, but you see, my dear Douglas, I am not following the
conventions of popular fiction and films, but of our gameworld,
of *your* homeworld."
Unquote.
Arcanum would be so disappointed. "Make 'em die ignorant." was his watch phrase. Not that anyone ever heard that that was still breathing... {Evil Grin}
Still: Damn well done, Bob. Damn well done.

Skitz
*snort*
Amusingly enough, her name is Amy.
Not amusingly, I'm trying to figure out how one human being can have THAT MANY CLOTHES.
GAH.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Quote:
Not amusingly, I'm trying to figure out how one human being can have THAT MANY CLOTHES.
She keeps it in her purse. Smile
In other news, great work, Bob. I am annoyed that I was so close and yet so far when I guessed that Quincy was Arcanum... and highly amused that, looking back, Leon was right about Doug being something spawned by GENOM... in a way Smile
And I even got most of the in-jokes this time. yay me.
We'll break in with further updates as they happen. Smile
oh yeah... Which story is next? My vote is for either the OMG step or the EVA step... Honestly, what I've seen of Sana-chan (only on the forums here) isn't endearing it to me...
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
The next step is, Chris' schedule allowing, DW5. We really haven't formally discussed the start of work on it, but if he's amenable, well, I've been doing a little development on the side that he needs to vet soon...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
I would like to congratulate you Bob on fininshing this step at last.
Thank you! It only took five and a half years. Hopefully DW5 will go faster.

-- Bob
---------
Skitz said:
Quote:
You are too modest, Bob. I enjoyed it very much.
I'm very glad. You know I consider the other Warriors' World players my toughest audience, right?
Quote:
I'm touched. It almost makes me wish I had revealed the totality of Arcanum's nastiness to you, but then, Quincy would be that much more nasty now wouldn't he?
Probably. Of course, I'd still have to keep him in character with the original anime version, even so.
Quote:
Arcanum would be so disappointed. "Make 'em die ignorant." was his watch phrase. Not that anyone ever heard that that was still breathing... {Evil Grin}
Well, Arcanum had to answer to no one but himself. I have to answer to my readers, and if Quincy didn't explain himself, I'd've gotten lynched. Since I had to have the exposition, though, I decided to play with it, turn it into a conscious emulation of the cliche.
Quote:
Still: Damn well done, Bob. Damn well done.
Thank you, John.

-- Bob
---------
*Snicker* *Snort* *BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!*- "I suppose that, technically, the existance of the Association of Foul Sorcerers is my fault, but, damnit, I was joking when I told them that they should unionize!"
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Well, all I have to say is that I in fact *did* wake up one morning and decide to be a supervillain, in hopes of luring out some superheroes. Then around breakfast I realised I didn't have that much in the way of leadership potential, and signed on as part of worldconquer.org to be a Mostly Trusted Lieutenant. Perhaps if I die in a suitably loyal fashion I'll recieve the coveted promotion to Fully Trusted Lieutenant, unless of course there's a way to bring me back - our mighty Leader is scrupulous about following the Evil Overlord's List, right down to the five-year old (well, not anymore, but he was when appointed) advisor to poke holes in his plans.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
*Snicker* *Snort* *BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!*
What was that in response to, Aleh?

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Well, all I have to say is that I in fact *did* wake up one morning and decide to be a supervillain, in hopes of luring out some superheroes. Then around breakfast I realised I didn't have that much in the way of leadership potential

<chuckle>

-- Bob
---------
Lisa
Ha! I was right about Lisa! You did have it planned!
Good job with the story. I loved the way it turned out. I can't wait to see the next one. And the one after that. And the one af... Well, all of them.
You also find some great quotes. Sets off your story quite nicely.
Have a nice day,
faithful DW reader,
Freddy Isnot
-Freddy Isnot

"You are now graduated from newbie and are just clueless. Consider that a compliment."
-Zipcode
Re: Lisa
Thank you, Freddy. I do try. I have a relatively easy time with the quotes -- I've been collecting them for 22 years now, and I have almost 23,000 of them in a 3-megabyte file, formatted for use with the Unix fortune program. (In fact, I've written my own Windows version of fortune, complete with a custom editor. I also have a custom tool I wrote which lets me search for specific words and export lists of matching quotes -- which is how I start building the quote lists for the stories in the first place.)
Anyway, enough rambling. Thank you again.

-- Bob
---------
Bravo.
I finally got around to reading chapter 15, and as I put in my subject line,
Bravo.
Now we devout fans can start pestering jpub to finish OMB! so we can read some of DW5! *evil chuckle*
*looks behind him to the snorting fans behind him*
Or... I could, maybe, get back to work on IWATDP ch. 11?
*snorting fans nod once, sharply*
Okay, okay, just let me finish, a'ight?
*fans grumble, but acquiesce*
So, other than the metacrossover, do you have any plans for a section of "what comes after" fan-fanfiction? Sailor Loon is just too good to pass up.
Another point... Has your Lisa self-sabotaged her own magegift? She might find that she can only use magic if it's couched in Magical Girl terms. That is, she has to shout some ridiculous phrase to make any spell work...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: Bravo.
Quote:
I finally got around to reading chapter 15, and as I put in my subject line,
Bravo.
Thank you, Foxboy! It's always gratifying when another writer, especially one whose work I enjoy so much, sends praise my way.
Quote:
Or... I could, maybe, get back to work on IWATDP ch. 11?
Gotta find out who's got that DVD, right?
Quote:
So, other than the metacrossover, do you have any plans for a section of "what comes after" fan-fanfiction? Sailor Loon is just too good to pass up.
Well, I hadn't any particular plans, other than her appearance in "Girls, Girls, Girls" (and a fragment of a scene from a post-Step "Sakura Wars" thingie). But Dragonflight's "Dead Bang" (there's a link in the other comment thread, if you haven't seen it) looks like a very promising exploration of what happens right after Doug leaves...
Quote:
Another point... Has your Lisa self-sabotaged her own magegift? She might find that she can only use magic if it's couched in Magical Girl terms. That is, she has to shout some ridiculous phrase to make any spell work...
Most wizards do, you know -- it's called "spellcasting". But to properly answer your question, no -- she's not stuck in a "magical girl" mode; it's just a personal idiom. It's just that, due to a convergence of events, she's starting out her wizardly career with a "macro" that transforms her current outfit into the Sailor Loon suit. And that's all "Sailor Power Make-Up!" does -- she has all her wizardly talent whether she's wearing a miniskirted seifuku or not.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
due to a convergence of events, she's starting out her wizardly career with a "macro" that transforms her current outfit into the Sailor Loon suit. And that's all "Sailor Power Make-Up!" does -- she has all her wizardly talent whether she's wearing a miniskirted seifuku or not.
So the various attacks she used were all from Invisible Touch, despite having shouted out silly phrases for them? That might be a problem if she gets into trouble and 'transforms' expecting to be able to fight her way out, unless having used them in that format before makes it easier for her to comme up with her own version of them on the fly.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Quote:
So the various attacks she used were all from Invisible Touch, despite having shouted out silly phrases for them?
Right. She could have done all the telekinetic stuff without a word (and without much conscious effort). The senshi make-up, though, was something a little more complicated -- although based in telekinesis, it was sort of a first, big magic lesson, and it got "burned in" to use an evocative but inaccurate metaphor; as soon as her magegift activated, that "burned in" lesson was available for her use again.
Quote:
That might be a problem if she gets into trouble and 'transforms' expecting to be able to fight her way out, unless having used them in that format before makes it easier for her to comme up with her own version of them on the fly.
Since the next time I expected to use her I knew she'd have a complete handle on her abilities, I never gave too much thought to the inbetween stage. It wasn't a story I was going to tell, so I didn't do any development for it. I happen to think, on reflection, that Dragonflight's got the right of it -- Sylia, upon learning via Nene and Lisa about her awakening, takes it upon herself to see to Lisa's training. And having all of those books in Legion's gift available, she will make sure that Lisa does not get hung up on any kind of psychological crutches or limitations -- like shouting out attack names and the other conventions of magical girl anime. The fact that Lisa likes doing that is a quirk, not a requirement, and she's certainly capable of more stealthy spellcasting when it's necessary. In a way, the appearance of being a magical girl is useful because it gives any possible opponents a false impression of her limits and requirements.

-- Bob
---------