Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D modeling thread #2 - re-render

That's okay - the person who had asked doesn't want anything for newer characters, so my question is moot.

In an unrelated note, I just noticed this on the FaerieWylde forums:
Quote:Due to spammers flooding us with new registrations we closed the registration page. If any of you have friends trying to join tell them to use Contact us on the portal page (www.faeriewylde.com) with their email address and the username they would like and we will manually register them.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:That's okay - the person who had asked doesn't want anything for newer characters, so my question is moot.

In an unrelated note, I just noticed this on the FaerieWylde forums:

Quote:Due to spammers flooding us with new registrations we closed the registration page. If any of you have friends trying to join tell them to use Contact us on the portal page (www.faeriewylde.com) with their email address and the username they would like and we will manually register them.
There appears to be a spike of that lately. I know a month or so back that the U.S.S. Tamerlane forums had to also close their registrations for similar reasons. Looks like the latest attempt to get links into forums to try to improve search results (never mind that search engines tend to be capable of noticing - and thus ignoring - such things anymore).
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

@Rob (or anyone else, for that matter)

Have you spotted a hemisphere primitive anywhere out there. My Google-fu hasn't turned any up.

I seem to recall the original "SkyDome" is a hemisphere... maybe.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/45996
--
Rob Kelk

New freebie from Mr. Sparky:

http://www.poserdirect.com/free_toontrain.html

(Buy something from him, too. Even with the low prices he charges, there's enough IP-rights-infringement of his stuff that he's having trouble... and he's one of the good guys in the hobby/industry.)
--
Rob Kelk

That Skydome will do the trick. Thanks, Rob!

Free Oval Office!

http://inlitestudio.com/3D/3d_president_office.html

(And, combining that with the free train set two posts up: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/ ... 30/#266016 )
--
Rob Kelk

Downloading the office, maybe I can use it as a generic round room in the future.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
RE: 3D modeling thread #2 - re-render
Sale alert:
Carrara is half-price, today only.

Does anyone here know anything about Luxus? It's less than half the price of Reality... but it only runs on Studio 4.5. They're both Daz Studio front-ends for LuxRender, but does Luxus do as much as Reality does?

Edit: Found a link to the manual for Luxus in this thread, if that helps. Re-edit: Oops, that's a PC-members-only thread. Well, having read through it, I do believe Luxus is not ready for prime time... yet. But I wouldn't mind an outside opinion on that. (At least the product developer is taking part in the thread, but his replies are rather terse.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Here's a hard one:

I want to do a "formal" image of my Fenspace characters. For that, I'll need formal outfits, which are easy enough to find for most of the characters (who were built off of V4). However, Safety is built off of K4, and she has wings.

Does anyone know of a conforming (because I use Daz Studio), backless dress for K4?

(Lacking that, are there any decent tutorials out there for making transmaps and textures? I'd rather not go that route - yet - but if I have to modify something I already have, then I first have to learn how to modify something...)
--
Rob Kelk

I think so. I recall doing a couple of recolors for a child's 'formal' dress fairly quickly a year or two ago; but I cant recall just what the process was. Overall IF I recall correctly the main issue is creating the links between texture and model
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!

-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Sorry, Rob, I've been busy this month.

I took a look at Luxus and . . . it reminds me of the older, surface-editing tools: producing amazing results . . . if you can get through the incomprehensibly-dense extra parameters it adds to the models.

I'm not saying that Reality is easy, but it looks easier than that. You might see about PMing Bruno over at the SJGames fora to see what she thinks.

Of course they do this when I'm in debt from my parents' 50th anniversary and can't afford to take advantage of it...

Renderosity gift certificates are on sale - different values at different times between now and Wednesday. At the time of this posting and for another two hours, get 10% off a $100 GC.
Edit: That one's done. Currently up for an 8-hour stint (7.75 hours left as of this editing) is 10% off a $15 GC.
--
Rob Kelk

There's a new Poser / Daz Studio forum at Poser World:
http://community.poserworld.com/

You don't have to buy a PW membership to set up an account there. You can posts links to commercial items in other stores. Their online gallery works (unlike the one at Daz3D, which hasn't worked since they changed their forums almost a year ago). And, so far, they seem serious about sticking to those principles.
--
Rob Kelk

I see Reality is on for half price at Rendo...

Is it worthwhile also grabbing this freebie?
http://www.sharecg.com/v/68284/browse/2 ... -Luxrender
--
Rob Kelk

If they're all mesh lights, you'll need a rendering farm to do anything useful with them.  When I get some time, I'll see about downloading them and giving them a go.
Something in one of the more recent versions of LuxRender broke mesh lights.
Mesh lights are how I do lightsabers and other "glowy" bits--I used to use them a lot.  That pic of Rose took about 20-hours , with 8 cores, to render.  Now, the same picture takes me 24 cores (all i7 cores) and about 72 hours to get the same level of detail.  It's starting to get better (at 1.21), but still a far cry from how it was.[Image: 2a316e61a0bf89a9722ea229e238e23ceb929c8e_r.png] [Image: 69a263b626a83bf0894ac77314b3c1a933454418_r.png]
All that said, I still would rather use Reality/LuxRender than just about anything else.

Look what's on Clearance over at Rendo:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/inde ... duct=56669

As soon as I have a couple of coins to rub together, I'll be grabbing that - it'll be useful for Harry-Potter-esque renders.
--
Rob Kelk

Damn you Rob. Damn you. Big Grin
--

...how can an online store selling entirely digital wares need to do a clearance?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Damned if I know... but that's what they call "if you want this, buy it now before we de-list it from our catalog."

(Please don't ask why an online store needs to de-list anything, especially considering they keep a copy so that buyers can re-download it in the future... I still haven't figured that one out.)
--
Rob Kelk

Bob, I've never really questioned it. It's likely just to help reduce the number of items that will come up in a search... they tend to do it for products that fall under certain sales numbers. Clearance is kind of the "last gasp" for products, one more chance to earn at least something before it becomes delisted.

Given that the site has been around for something like 15 years, that has the potential to be a LOT of digital product that they've delisted. (This would explain why one doesn't see clothing for the old P4 "Posette" figure in the Marketplace.)
--

Anyone here still in college? I just noticed a scholarship on the DAZ3D website...

If you're 18 or older, a post-secondary student attending an accredited college or university, and legally resident in the USA, you can apply for a $1000 scholarship from the company. It's intended for "3D Graphic Design Students seeking financial aid for tuition, books, and education related [sic] costs," but at no place in the official rules does it say you have to be in an arts program in order to apply. You do, however, need to use a specific coupon code when you (re-)download their software.

The deadline to submit finished artwork - which you give up ownership of, whether you get the scholarship or not - is no later than June 1, 2013 at 11:59 pm Mountain Standard Time.

And "Except where prohibited, by accepting a Scholarship Prize, the Scholarship Prize Recipients agree that Sponsor may, without any limitation or further compensation or notice, use his or her name, voice and/or likeness in any and all media, worldwide, for the purpose of advertising and promoting the Website, the Sponsor, the Scholarship Program, or any other promotion sponsored by daz3d.com."

If you're still interested, see the details and get the download code at http://www.daz3d.com/3d-graphic-design-scholarship/
--
Rob Kelk

Still buying content from Daz3D.com? Not using their DAZ Install Manager yet, or you bought something that DIM can't handle yet? As of today, you need these instructions.

(What? Can I copy this? Consider what reputation Daz3D has regarding usable documentation. They didn't write this, I did.)

How to download what you just purchased from DAZ3D.com

Note: These instructions assume that you already have an account and you have made a purchase.

1) Log in to your account.

2) Go to your “My Dashboard” page, at http://www.daz3d.com/customer/account/

3) You’ll see a menu of options immediately below the house ad. Click on “Product Library”, the third option from the left.

4) You will see a list of products on the left-hand side of the screen. At the top of the list, there is a filter box on one line, and a set of “Sort by:” selector buttons on the second line. Click on “Purchase Date” on the Sort By line. EDIT: And click on "Purchase Date" again to sort the list most-recent first.

5) Your most-recent purchases will now be listed at the top of the list. Click on the item name of the item you want to download. (BUG: This resets the list on the left-hand side of the page to being sorted by Name. Click on “Purchase Date” again to fix this.) EDIT: Bug has been fixed.

6) A description of the item will appear on the right-hand side of the page. Scroll down to the bottom of this description; you should see a box titled “Downloads”. Click on the appropriate file links. (PROTIP: The link marked “DIM”, if it exists, points to a zip file usable on either PC or Mac.)

7) Repeat steps 5 and 6 as necessary to download all of your purchases.
--
Rob Kelk

This looks like it could be a useful tool for outdoor renders that need a bit of greenery... It's platform-neutral, too - it creates OBJ files.

http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

(Scroll past all the sample images to get to the links to the textures and tutorials)
--
Rob Kelk

Looks like Dreamlight is wanting emails again. Free city canyon landscape set.

http://www.3dlightmaster.com/freecscity/?&AID=408

As per the last time, don't give them an email you mind seeing advertising in.
--