Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RWBY Volume 4

This week's release is another World of Remanant, looking at the Schnee Duct Company, and confirms that Weiss' Dad took his wife's name. Sounds like her grandfather, the company founder, was a decent guy, though.

Ep 7 is up on YouTube now. I haven't watched it yet -- we're waiting for Helen to come over tomorrow night to watch it together.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

And the whole idea of "Weiss Schnee, Bolshevik Revolutionary" - or at least, Rebel Princess - is growing stronger....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:
Quote:ECSNorway wrote:
Ya know....
Judging from the opening animation, Jauney-boy needs to learn Anchor Howl. He's already got the shield movement down, he just needs the incantation...
... Screw that.  RWBY needs to be more like Log Horizon, period.  Just in the sense where the Big Damn Heroes aren't gonna put up with fate's bullshit, so they punch her in the face and tell her to fuck off.
So, we're coming up on the end of Volume 4, and this comment BA? This sums up the last volume perfectly. Our girls and boys are battered, bruised and grieving. Some blame themselves, some are trapped and almost alone in enemy territory, some are broken, and some are gone. But this volume fixed damn near every problem I had with Volume 3, because our heroes? They won't stand for it. They'll get up, they'll fight back, and they'll live.

And we now have Lie Ren and Nora's origin story. Interesting sort of thing.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I just caught up on episodes 6-10 today.  This season is a lot more enjoyable than the last season.  It's like they replaced the pointless tournament arc with characterization.  And the theme song is like a new anthem for the Trump era (sorry robkelk for turning everything into a political thread).  A few random thoughts, about one per episode:
  • Weiss really doesn't fit in with the Davos crowd.
  • If this is what he can do, I kind of want to see Qrow fight it out with Himura Kenshin.
  • Creation, Destruction, Knowledge, and Choice -- huh, that's an interesting grouping.  Usually Choice (choix?) is more quintessential instead of being one of the four.
  • Blake has a cat's tongue. ?? Also her family is awesome.
  • Poor Qrow, his semblance is the Hedgehog's Dilemma.
  • Oh look, it's a Ren flower.  No, not a lotus, definitely a ren.
Heh, that turned out to be mostly anime references.
Edit: spelling
-- ∇×V

Qrow, not Krow.

This seasons song is probably my favourite RWBY song to date, and I'm really looking forward to the full version when the soundtrack comes out.

Honestly, every major and more than a few supporting characters have had some great moments and character arcs this season. I alternate between which storyline is my favourite on an hourly basis. Right now it's Blake, whose declaration at the end of last ep was amazing. All of RNJR have been amazing, Weiss has been an incredible mix of brilliance and tears, and Yangs arc comes close to making me forgive what they did to her last volume. Ironwood is a fascinating inversion of the tin man myth, breaking because he cares too much, Sun is actually contributing to the plot again, Oscar and Ozpin, WOW.

As I said in the last thread, Volume 3 was very mixed and rather negative for me, but I was willing to give volume 4 a chance based off both the first two volumes, and Miles work with Red Vs Blue. I'm glad I did, because this volume, they found their footing, and I'm loving it.

I'm deeply amused by the revelation of Blake's backstory.

"Oh, hi, I'm the heiress to the famous and stupidly wealthy Schnee Dust Company!"
"Hi, we're sisters, and our dad teaches at the kiddy hunter school!"
"Hi, I used to be a civil rights activist, then a terrorist. Oh, I never told you that my dad is, like, the Duke of Hawaii? Dang. I forgot."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Matrix Dragon Wrote:This seasons song is probably my favourite RWBY song to date, and I'm
really looking forward to the full version when the soundtrack comes
out.
I have mixed feelings on that.  The lyrics are great.  The melody is just weird when you sing it a capella.  I'm not enough of a musician to know what's going on, but there are either accidentals or key changes in strange places, which probably implies some weakness in the melody line.  As a full composition, this is mostly covered up.  But I sing tenor, which means I've sung some strange parts, and this is one of the strangest.  If someone could find me a score I'd be interested.
Last season's song has a devastatingly good intro both in music and lyrics -- and a mediocre rest of the song.
-- ∇×V

So, who has seen the finale? Not saying anything, beyond that I loved the credits song.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Just finished watching it, and I gotta agree with Matrix Dragon's post  further up the page (where he's quoting BA and ECS)
Looking forward to Volume 5 (and hopefully RWBY Chibi volume 2) 8D
Edit to add:

Have not seen it yet -- waiting until Helen comes over tomorrow night. No spoilers, please!
-- Bob
---------

Well, it's about this girl called Ruby...

Phbbbbbttt.
-- Bob
---------

Blake is actually a catgirl!

A minor spoiler but not-spoiler, and my favorite Youtube comment: "JAUNE'S SWORD IS ALSO A SWORD."
Cool actor allusion in the stinger, too.  Who's a pipsqueak?
-- ∇×V

Okay, on warm Saturday afternoons with new Undocumented Features to read, my mind sometimes goes strange places...

...and today it went to RWBY/Vocaloid mixes, and after a couple YouTube videos, I started wondering...

Wouldn't it be cool to use the Vocaloid concert projection system with RWBY data to do a stage show?
-- Bob
---------

It would.

Especially if it lead to the RWBY characters Awakening.

Except Cinder. She can die in a fire.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Subtitles Wrote:(I can't believe Penny is dead lol)
You monster!
-- ∇×V

-- Bob
---------

Stumbled across some new RWBY AMVs

-- Bob
---------
episode 2