Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any "like to cook" foodies here?
RE: Any "like to cook" foodies here?
Last week's radio recipe set is completely vegan: fermented grape jelly, pine nut custard and cultured almond milk (three recipes).
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
A couple of fun snacks:

Soft Funfetti Sugar Cookies - "Funfetti" is where you put the sprinkles into the dough before mixing and baking

[Image: FUNFETTI-OPEN-COOKIE.jpg]

Pastel Candied Popcorn

[Image: BAKED-POPCORN.jpg]
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is Grilled peach and prosciutto salad. Includes a recipe for basil vinaigrette.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Montreal steak spice - the wonder of the ages. Okay, the wonder of the last seven decades.

Unless you work at Schwartz's, you're not going to know what's in the original Montreal steak spice... but here's one reporter's try at duplicating it: 'Tis the seasoning: What's behind Montreal steak spice, flavouring food for more than 70 years?

And this is how you use it:

[Image: steak-spice-meat.jpg]
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hm. I think I actually have a jar of a commercial "Montreal" spice in my spice cabinet that I've never used. I should pull it out and try it on the next steak I grill.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I managed to google chicken wing sauce, take the first result in google for 'chicken wing sauce' and had it all eaten before I got any.

A bottle of Franks hot sauce, a fifth of a kilo of butter, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, worcester sauce, garlic powder and that dangerous smelling redshit in the spice cabinet. Stick it on some wings, let 'em soak for a bit tyhen stick them on a BBQ until they're done and then leave the rest as dipping and it's fucking golden.

The sauce was great and the wings turned out well enough that they got nommed bofre I got any. But I did get to put the sauce on a hot dog.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Last week's radio recipe is sakura water raindrop cake.

(I'll have to at least mention these somewhere in There's Nothing Better...)

[Image: sakura-water-raindrop-cake.jpeg]
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That looks like some kind of bizarre alien. Are you sure it's meant to be stuffed into your face and eaten, rather than eating your face?
--
‎noli esse culus
Yes, quite sure. Think "fancy Jello".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Heh, ooo-kay... At least now you have someone's reaction to use when it's introduced in the story, I guess?
--
‎noli esse culus
Your guide to buying, brewing and enjoying specialty coffee — even if you've yet to enjoy your first sip

Quote:Specialty coffee importers buy higher-quality beans, which, lucky for us, means better tasting coffee. These beans cost more, as the price more properly supports the production process, the coffee farm co-ops, the farmers and their families, essential to the production of coffee.

Quote:Geoff Woodley of IKAWA Coffee says "a scale, French press and burr grinder are all you need to start out." Woodley stressed the importance of the grinder, adding, "you can spend $150 on a burr grinder and $20 on a brewer, and get a better cup of coffee than if you were to spend $150 on a brewer and $20 on a grinder."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-25-2019, 07:10 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Hm.  I think I actually have a jar of a commercial "Montreal" spice in my spice cabinet that I've never used.  I should pull it out and try it on the next steak I grill.

I seem to recall finding something similar here in Los Angeles, but I believe we've used it all up?

At the moment, my 'go to's in that department are actually spice mixes I bought in Jamaica on last years cruise
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Oh, and it turns out the jar was "Montreal Chicken Spice". I haven't had the time to compare its ingredients to what's in the article to see if there's any functional difference, but I suspect there is. I'm betting there's sage and a couple other "poultry-only" things in it that wouldn't work on a steak.

I have to say that after having read that article I have had a powerful hankering to grill a steak with Montreal seasoning, and finding out I had the wrong thing was a bit of a disappointment. The next time I'm at a place with a specialty spice store -- Schooner's Wharf in Beach Haven, or Peddler's Village in Lahaska, PA to think of two -- I'll pick up some proper Montreal Steak Seasoning. Unless someone can vouch for stuff I might find in my local grocery.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
11 Canadian books about food to check out this summer

Books about food, fiction that features food, and cookbooks. (One of the cookbooks is by a chef who has a couple of recipe links in this thread. I've eaten in Joe Thottungal's restaurant many times. So if you only buy one of these books, buy that one, okay?)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is a pimento cheese sandwich. Maybe not exactly what they serve at the Masters, but close enough.

For some heat, replace the pimentos with pickled jalapenos.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is doughnuts

Yeast doughnuts, not the lighter cake style.

Be sure to listen to the segment - it has some tips that aren't in the written article.

These folks want to sell their homemade jams, sauces, and spreads... but I'm sure equivalents to most of their products are available wherever you live. Or, if you happen to be visiting Algonquin Park, you can get their products. Smile

Yummies in a Jar - Recipes
  • Orange Chicken with Yummies in a Jar Tangerine Apricot Marmalade
  • Chocolate Cherry Trifle
  • Blueberry Maple Cake
  • Cranberrylicious Muffins!
  • Yummies in a Jar Red Pepper Jelly BBQ Sauce
  • Cherry & Almond Cheesecake Square
  • Couscous Salad with Yummies in a Jar Vinaigrette and fresh Trout with our Maple Glaze
  • Yummies in a jar Pepper Jelly Cheese Cake Appetiser
  • Wild Rice with Yummies in a Jar Vinaigrette
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is Trindadian-style roti. The base recipe is vegetarian, but the food truck that the chef owns serves this with curried chicken (EDIT: or jerk chicken, or jerk goat) and potatoes in the filling.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
40 delicious vegan recipes to dine on morning, noon and night

An index of articles, from Banana Waffles to Coffee Smoothies to Peanut Stew to Grilled Potato Salad to Vegan Philly "Cheesesteak" to Chocolate Tahini Butter Cup Pie, and the proverbial much much more.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-12-2019, 06:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: Last week's radio recipe is doughnuts

Be sure to listen to the segment - it has some tips that aren't in the written article.

Umm, Rob?  I've always found Yeast donuts to be lighter than any Cake styles?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
(08-24-2019, 06:23 AM)Star Ranger4 Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 06:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: Last week's radio recipe is doughnuts

Umm, Rob?  I've always found Yeast donuts to be lighter than any Cake styles?

Likewise, but that's what the chef said... Go figure.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is sweet potato croquettes.

Contains cinnamon and cloves - go easy on the cloves!

Power waffles!

The protein comes from white beans... which apparently don't add a flavour to the recipe. (I haven't tried this one yet.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Better archive the recipes on this site if you want them - the site owner is having trouble staying afloat.

Marché de l'Outaouais - recipes
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Have a Latin-American style meal: Spicy Margarita (shaken, not frozen), Columbian Beef Empanadas, and Mexican Tres Leches Cake
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is sarma: Serbian-style cabbage rolls with sauerkraut leaves. Contains carrot, onion, garlic, paprika, and bacon.

The cooking time is six hours in a slow cooker, or three hours on the stovetop.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is a "walking taco".

My first thought on seeing this was "they needed a recipe for that?"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown