Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any "like to cook" foodies here?
RE: Any "like to cook" foodies here?
This week's recipe is so Canadian, eh?

Bison tartare with Nunavut crowberry jam

If you don't have crowberries, substitute blackberries or blueberries. EDIT, three years after original post: Or buy some crowberry jam from this shop in Newfoundland.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
This week's radio recipe uses up your leftover Halloween pumpkins - Pumpkin tarts

Contains pecans, cashews, almond milk, and coconut oil.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's recipe is finally up: Grilled pork chops. (The recipe is for the marinade.)

The chef recommended a "heirloom" breed (she didn't say which) when this was aired. Modern pigs have less fat, and thus the pork is not as moist.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's recipes are finally up

Cookies!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Still waiting for this week's recipe. In the meantime, a modern twist on an aboriginal dish: Wagmú na Tȟaspáŋ Waháŋpi nakúŋ Watȟókeča T'áǧa Yužápi (Squash and Apple Soup with Fresh Cranberry Sauce​)

EDIT: And surfing the "related" links from that article turns up a few more interesting pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I doubt it was because I mentioned I was still waiting, but this week's recipe is up. Ploughman's lunch, with individual recipes for porchetta, salsa verde, pickeled red onion, and honey-oat bread. (The posted "assembly" recipe fails to mentioned the boiled egg, and only mentions the cheddar in passing.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A fundraiser-event recipe: kale and squash frittata

The fundraiser was for the local food banks. They raised over $100,000 (although, in a city of 1,000,000 people, that won't last very long).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This week's radio recipe: Flemish rabbit

A site that I just discovered today: Savory Japan
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Seasonal recipes: Three ways to prepare duck or goose.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm wondering if you can give me some advice. I received a "Tefal 8 in 1" cooker for Christmas. However, I've no idea what the different programs actually do (I'd ideally want heating, temperature, time etc.) or how to use them. Any advice?
This week's radio recipe: What the gluck?

(A.k.a. use up your leftovers.)

(12-31-2017, 08:27 AM)Jinx999 Wrote: I'm wondering if you can give me some advice. I received a "Tefal 8 in 1" cooker for Christmas. However, I've no idea what the different programs actually do (I'd ideally want heating, temperature, time etc.) or how to use them. Any advice?

(goes and looks)

Okay, the eight functions are Rice, Quick rice, Brown rice, Cereals, Oatmeal/Porridge, Steam, Slow Cooking/Soup, and Cake.

Rice / Quick rice / Brown rice: it's a rice cooker. There usually isn't too much variety in rice cooking. Use rice the way you usually would - as a side dish on its own, around onigiri, under sushi, whatever.

Cereals / Oatmeal/Porridge / Steam: it's also a steamer. You should be nearby when steaming food, since it's easy to get wrong; use the programs as guidelines, not fire-and-forget cooking aids. Cook veggies without losing the vitamins or making them go limp; make oatmeal, porridge, cream of wheat, Red River cereal, or any other hot cereal; steam an English style pudding.

Slow Cooking/Soup: It's also a slow cooker. Any crockpot caveat or recipe should work here.

Cake: see "steam an English style pudding", above.

And that's just off the top of my head...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've never used a rice cooker, but always cooked rice in a saucepan. I've used a slow cooker quite a bit, but only for simple recipes. I've heard about steaming vegetables . . .
Last week's radio recipe: French onion soup.

Contains beef, bacon, beer, and cheese.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oooh, I'm going to have to try that one.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The radio recipe went vegan last week: Seitan, a meat alternative for dishes such as pot pie.

Contains wheat gluten and garlic.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
While looking for something completely different, I found this collection of recipes from the Charlevoix region - the area where this year's G7 Summit will be held.

There are nine recipes on the site: Saint-Urbain Emu Ballotine, Duck Magret, Eggs Benedict with Charlevoix cheese, chili-con-carne-style cross rib roast, lamb tenderloin, chicken and cheese bake with leeks, springtime salad with rabbit, kid served three ways, and Galloway steer sausage. The recipes are in French to begin with, so click on "EN" beside teh recipe's title if you want the English translations.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-15-2018, 03:54 PM)robkelk Wrote: The radio recipe went vegan last week: Seitan, a meat alternative for dishes such as pot pie.

The article is entitled "How to make your own seitan," but it doesn't start with washing the starch out of wheat flour. "How to cook your own seitan" would be a better title.

And yeah, washing the starch out of flour is how you extract gluten. The gluten isn't soluble and is left behind. I'm lazy; I buy Bob's Red Mill.
(01-15-2018, 08:39 PM)Inquisitive Raven Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 03:54 PM)robkelk Wrote: The radio recipe went vegan last week: Seitan, a meat alternative for dishes such as pot pie.

The article is entitled "How to make your own seitan," but it doesn't start with washing the starch out of wheat flour. "How to cook your own seitan" would be a better title.

And yeah, washing the starch out of flour is how you extract gluten. The gluten isn't soluble and is left behind. I'm lazy; I buy Bob's Red Mill.

The recipe calls for "2 cups of vital wheat gluten", so I assume the chef was being just as lazy... Wink
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yet another recipe collection
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Distinctly Canadian sweets: Traditional Butter Tarts and Lemon Tarts with Shortbread Crust
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is an Italian take on the cheese ball.
Burrata with soffritto, basil, tomatoes and miche sourdough
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Romantic" recipes for Valentine's Day - Eggless Bacon Carbonara, Mushroom and Bacon Stroganoff, and Royal Rose Pudding
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe: Rib-eye steak with fingerling potatoes and chimichurri

Grilled on charcoal.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipes will have you eating like an Olympian: Pyeongchang-style spicy cold buckwheat noodles and Pyeongchang-style potato pancakes
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hmm, fun. I'm noodling over getting myself a slow cooker now that I'm working from home. Anyone have any experience with these, recommended models, etc? Looking for a small pot since I'm cooking for one.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.