Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part VIII

Well, I said I'd actively oppose DQ. More importantly, there are laws against disclosing personally-identifying private information to people who have no business knowing that information. Adding my comments, and an additional proposal to maintain the status quo.

EDIT: And in less than five minutes, DQ removed the proposal to maintain the status quo.

RE-EDIT: I've put it back. Let's see how long it lasts.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Well, I said I'd actively oppose DQ. More importantly, there are laws against disclosing personally-identifying private information to people who have no business knowing that information. Adding my comments, and an additional proposal to maintain the status quo.

EDIT: And in less than five minutes, DQ removed the proposal to maintain the status quo.

RE-EDIT: I've put it back. Let's see how long it lasts.

Consider me your ally.

http://meta.miraheze.org/w/index.php?t ... ldid=17579

vorticity Wrote:So, Morganite, what do you think the probability of them all being the same person is?

In this particular case, it may be a matter of "give him enough rope to hang himself with". (Though I've never heard of this MatthewPW person, so that doesn't factor in.)

I'm more concerned about the precedent this would set for multiple people in the same household who want to use the wiki, which isn't a particularly exotic scenario. If someone finds ATT, starts editing, tells their spouse/parent/child/sibling/roommate/??? about it, they're interested too, and we're like "Oh, gotta send in copies of your id for that", that's disgusting. It's entirely reasonable to ask that multiple users from the same household talk to us about it first, with an understanding that there may be additional scrutiny applied in such cases. I'm not convinced much more than that is required for normal cases.

-Morgan.

Morganite Wrote:I'm more concerned about the precedent this would set for multiple
people in the same household who want to use the wiki, which isn't a
particularly exotic scenario. If someone finds ATT, starts editing,
tells their spouse/parent/child/sibling/roommate/??? about it, they're
interested too, and we're like "Oh, gotta send in copies of your id for
that", that's disgusting.
Really?  First off, no one suggested making it a policy.  Second, the only reason we care about it is because the person(s) involved is asking for global rights to be able to access IP addresses, edit private wikis, and ban basically anyone.  And we're thinking, hey, we have the right to know if this is one or three people we're giving site-wide permissions to?  Or is that still disgusting to you, Morgan?
-- ∇×V

It could be said that I have very strong feelings about pseudoanonymity. I've tried to keep myself from getting too abrasive, but... *shrug* perhaps not well enough.

Wasn't giving DQ any of those permissions already noped before this discussion even started?

Also, I did say "precedent", not "policy". If you had a policy, you could write down under what circumstances you would or would not require some higher degree of identity verification. Precedents are fuzzier, which I think could lead to more more trouble down the road.

It looks like it could be a moot point in any case, given the support allowing multiple accounts in general is getting.

Or if DQ decides to take their ball and go home, which looks entirely possible if I'm reading the log properly.

-Morgan.

DQ has tried to get access to CheckUser in various ways four times in the last month or so. I doubt (s)he'd run out of patience that quickly.

EDIT: Definitely not going away - it looks to me more like "covering his/her tracks"
http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Stewards ... me_request

RE-EDIT: And then there's http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/User:Del ... _usernames , where DQ specifically asks NDKilla for his opinion and says he doesn't care once NDKilla gives his opinion. Somebody else can point out the logic error there.
--
Rob Kelk

What's up with "Mass Edit using regular expressions"? I just tried to use it to change [[Battlestar Galactica Classic] to [[Battlestar Galactica (1978 TV series)" and ended up with a big pink box listing every page which linked to "Battlestar Galactica Classic" and claiming that they all didn't exist -- an outright lie, because I could go to any of them I cared to and see that they were in fact there. I tried again with [[Battlestar Galactica Reimagined]->[[Battlestar Galactica (2004 TV series)] and got the same claim of non-existence. Did I break something? Or stumble onto something that just got broke? (As I recall that Lulz just used this feature last week to good effect.)

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Regex is always the most finicky thing in existence, I had to postpone the project of moving Webcomic to Web Comics in terms of categories because of that finickyness.

The big pink box usually means that the syntax is invalid.  Usually it means I left off the trailing slash, or I forgot to escape a slash inside the expression.
That said MassEditRegex does not work on larger sets of pages, even in "run in browser" mode.  Not sure what the solution is yet.  I'd just run them in my bot, but apparently Mediawiki has changed the login system again, and the guy maintaining the Perl bot is tired of dealing with the constantly changing API.
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:The big pink box usually means that the syntax is invalid.  Usually it means I left off the trailing slash, or I forgot to escape a slash inside the expression.

That said MassEditRegex does not work on larger sets of pages, even in "run in browser" mode.  Not sure what the solution is yet.  I'd just run them in my bot, but apparently Mediawiki has changed the login system again, and the guy maintaining the Perl bot is tired of dealing with the constantly changing API.
It worked eventually for the 1500+ category, however it itself required that I re-kick it into action multiple times because it died out after 300 edits done.

robkelk Wrote:EDIT: Definitely not going away - it looks to me more like "covering his/her tracks"
http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Stewards ... me_request

RE-EDIT: And then there's http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/User:Del ... _usernames , where DQ specifically asks NDKilla for his opinion and says he doesn't care once NDKilla gives his opinion. Somebody else can point out the logic error there.
He got renamed btw, for an update to that.

robkelk Wrote:DQ has tried to get access to CheckUser in various ways four times in the last month or so. I doubt (s)he'd run out of patience that quickly.

Hmmm. Last thing I saw it looked like DQ had shut down the elements wiki entirely, but it looks like it's back now.

(Is it really set up so that logged-out users can only read the front page? Who does that? Is this thing supposed to be public or not?)

-Morgan.

Morganite Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:DQ has tried to get access to CheckUser in various ways four times in the last month or so. I doubt (s)he'd run out of patience that quickly.

Hmmm. Last thing I saw it looked like DQ had shut down the elements wiki entirely, but it looks like it's back now.

(Is it really set up so that logged-out users can only read the front page? Who does that? Is this thing supposed to be public or not?)

-Morgan.
DQ closed her wiki to prevent editing, as opposed to just using SpecialTonguerotectSite, which is part of an extension that was installed at her request...

Edit: I created this RfC to officially ban DQ/whatever as a community

Is anybody else getting database errors when trying to edit large (>~30kb) pages? I'm seeing that on both ATT and the freebie wiki.

(There are only 8 large pages by that definition on the Poser and Daz Free Resources, but All The Tropes has over 1000 pages that large.)

I want to know whether it's just me before opening a trouble ticket.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Is anybody else getting database errors when trying to edit large (>~30kb) pages? I'm seeing that on both ATT and the freebie wiki.

(There are only 8 large pages by that definition on the Poser and Daz Free Resources, but All The Tropes has over 1000 pages that large.)

DeltaQuad said phabricator was throwing unhandled exceptions. Everything seems to be working for me, but it could be (two) valid issues on multiple servers ;P If it persists, open a task. 

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Is anybody else getting database errors when trying to edit large (>~30kb) pages? I'm seeing that on both ATT and the freebie wiki.

I was just trying to edit the TV section of "No Plans, No Prototype, No Backup" and got one:
Quote:A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software.[2014475d0530e86d68ab10aa] 2017-01-11 14:36:15: Fatal exception of type "DBQueryError"
-- Bob
---------

NDKilla Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Is anybody else getting database errors when trying to edit large (>~30kb) pages? I'm seeing that on both ATT and the freebie wiki.

DeltaQuad said phabricator was throwing unhandled exceptions. Everything seems to be working for me, but it could be (two) valid issues on multiple servers ;P If it persists, open a task. 
I'd love to open a task, but...

Unhandled Exception ("AphrontQueryException")
#1021: Disk full (/tmp/#sql_c2d_3.MAI); waiting for someone to free some space... (errno: 28 "No space left on device")
--
Rob Kelk

The whole wiki is down now with "Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties." messages. The rest of the farm, too -- Meta throws the same error.

One hopes DairyQueen DeltaQuad didn't muck with something they shouldn't have -- or worse, did a little deliberate sabotage in revenge for not being universally loved and respected.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:The whole wiki is down now with "Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties." messages. The rest of the farm, too -- Meta throws the same error.
phabricator is down now, too.
--
Rob Kelk

And we're back.
-- Bob
---------

Back, and fully charged [http://allthetropes.org/wiki/ReBoot]1- I'm able to edit big pages again. (Presumably the DB was offline for emergency maintenance.)
--
Rob Kelk

Turns out I wasn't the only person having problems with Social Profile:

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Tixsdhck0zgd9502

Quote:No pages link to Requests for Comment/Community imposed ban on User:Lawrence-Prairies.

...?

-Morgan.

Morganite Wrote:
Quote:No pages link to Requests for Comment/Community imposed ban on User:Lawrence-Prairies.

...?

-Morgan.
Yeah - all RfCs should be linked from the RfC page. EDIT: And I've added this one to the RfC page.

http://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Requests ... e-Prairies

EDIT: Oh, and I added a fifth proposal to the RfC, somewhere between NDKilla's "kick him off altogether" and DQ's "let me keep all rights on the wiki I started". So far, DQ hasn't commented on it but has commented on other comments.
--
Rob Kelk

5 days and no response so i'm posting this here:

http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Tio6f3boz8sdf3wy