Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oddities spotted in the news

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Charging Bull sculptor accuses NYC of violating his rights with Fearless Girl

I think somebody involved here doesn't understand "death of the artist" or alternative character interpretation (with the bull being the character in question)...

EDIT: Should she stay or should she go?
This blogger raises some interesting points about the two statues. Their origins and background do add an interesting layer to the story.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

My initial reaction -- unchanged by everything I've read so far -- is that an artist has no copyright claim on the setting in which his work is installed. Otherwise galleries would be neck-deep in lawsuits.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Ebony Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Charging Bull sculptor accuses NYC of violating his rights with Fearless Girl

I think somebody involved here doesn't understand "death of the artist" or alternative character interpretation (with the bull being the character in question)...

EDIT: Should she stay or should she go?
This blogger raises some interesting points about the two statues. Their origins and background do add an interesting layer to the story.
Intriguing... Of course, this means that the girl also has some alternative character interpretations.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Yeah, there was never any doubt how this forum would feel about fanfiction in bronze.
The meaning of any artwork is never static; if the meaning never changes, then it's not art.  (Or a true Scotsman.)  Pinkie and The Blue Boy are linked in my mind, even though they were painted by different artists 25 years apart, because the portraits look across a room towards each other.  Did her association with Gainsborough's portrait help to rehabilitate Lawrence's reputation?  It doesn't really matter, because the pairing itself is art, combining a vibrant youthful masculinity with an equally vibrant youthful femininity.
But if di Modica still owns the Bull, maybe now is the right time for a tour?  I'm sure S.F. would love to have the bovine, maybe even put him up at the Cow Palace.
-- ∇×V

Quote:vorticity wrote:
Yeah, there was never any doubt how this forum would feel about fanfiction in bronze.
The meaning of any artwork is never static; if the meaning never changes, then it's not art.  (Or a true Scotsman.)  Pinkie and The Blue Boy are linked in my mind, even though they were painted by different artists 25 years apart, because the portraits look across a room towards each other.  Did her association with Gainsborough's portrait help to rehabilitate Lawrence's reputation?  It doesn't really matter, because the pairing itself is art, combining a vibrant youthful masculinity with an equally vibrant youthful femininity.
But if di Modica still owns the Bull, maybe now is the right time for a tour?  I'm sure S.F. would love to have the bovine, maybe even put him up at the Cow Palace.
Fort Worth. For the Stock Show. Unfortunately, the thing does weigh 7000 pounds. That's not something you can pack up and cart off easily.

Ebony the Black Dragon

To be honest, while I can admire the skill with which the McCann advertising company subverted the intentions of the bronze bull sculpture, the fact that it's an advertisement sending a political and corporate message that inhibits the proper functioning of the Charging Bull makes me want to smack McCann and State Street Global Advisors with a massive fine each.

And the fact that Di Modica still owns the bull does mean he has a say in how it's depicted. He might not necessarily have a strong case, but he does have one IMO.

He does not own a public space. He has no right to dictate what else may be there. It's a simple as that. If it so damages his precious artistic integrity, let him take his bull and go home.
-- Bob
---------

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon ... -1.4073018 Something (I assume) you don't see every day - a herd of cattle following a beaver.

Mark

Wild turkey turning heads in downtown Ottawa

Somebody's already made the obligatory Les Nesman reference.
--
Rob Kelk

Wild turkey turning heads in downtown Ottawa

Somebody's already made the obligatory Les Nesman reference.
Mr. Carlson was correct in thinking that turkeys can fly. Wild turkeys can and do. Domesticated, Thanksgiving turkeys, on the other hand, fly - to quote Douglas Adams - much in the way that bricks don't.

Ebony the Black Dragon

It must be a slow news day, eh?

Origins of 'eh': How 2 little letters came to define Canadians

(We might want to grab that article's image for the SCTV page on ATT, eh?)
--
Rob Kelk

Oh, yes, indeed, we might...
-- Bob
---------

Italy giving away 103 buildings (inlcuding castles) [sic]

Two catches:
  • You have to turn the property into some kind of tourist attraction.
  • The country is looking for younger entrepreneurs (under 40).
--
Rob Kelk

Well, crap. That second point cuts Peg and me out of the deal.
-- Bob
---------

It was 80 years ago this month...

CBC: Dreams in flames: The airship Hindenburg and its captain, my great-grandfather
--
Rob Kelk

And that happened http://www.google.com/maps/dir/409+Map ... 3423?hl=en]less than a mile and a half from the house where I grew up. The Hindenburg was kind of like a pervasive legend/myth in Lakehurst while I was growing up. If my mom were still alive, she'd've been interested in that article, even in her dementia.

Peg and I have actually stood on the site, where there is a memorial which, oddly for something on a military base, is not maintained by the military.
-- Bob
---------

Hunh.  Now I wonder if that anniversary inspired the background gag in Girl Genius yesterday:  an advertising poster on a wall behind the villain is for a perfume ... Eau de Humanity.
Edit:  Applied new link provided by Inquisitive Raven.  Thanks; I should've realized it would do that.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Umm, your link points to the most recent comic, which has updated since you posted your reply. You want your link to go here.

Fire at a marijuana manufacturer brought "under control within three minutes".

I guess some things just shouldn't go [size=smaller]... (removes glasses) ...[/size] up in smoke.
--
Rob Kelk

Bin man collected thrown away books and starts library

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40173423

Mark

Man who mowed lawn with tornado behind him says he 'was keeping an eye on it'
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/t ... -1.4145466
--
Rob Kelk

Man who mowed lawn with tornado behind him says he 'was keeping an eye on it'http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/t ... -1.4145466
I can respect the man's aplomb, but as someone who's lived through tornadoes, that was a really, really stupid thing to do. If it was farther away than it looked as the man said, then it was larger than it looked as well, which means that it was higher on the Fujita scale and more capable of doing damage. Tornadoes bounce, based on the weather patterns that form them and the land underneath him. "Keeping an eye on it" would have given him little or no time if it had veered or shifted position.

Ebony the Black Dragon

I feel like this is a metaphor for Canadians looking over the fence towards the United States.
-- ∇×V

We have a different metaphor for that...
http://www.parli.ca/the-elephant-and-the-mouse/
--
Rob Kelk

What does it say about me that until I read the accompanying text, I was angry at this guy for videoing the shark instead of doing something to help it?  (The text reveals the shark wasn't stranded.)
-----
Little-known fact:  "Australia" is actually an abbreviated form.  The land's full name is "AauuuggghhhhAAUUGGHHHHHstralia ."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.