Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explain to me, please...
Explain to me, please...
Saw today's Dork Tower, and I have to agree with Matt.

[Image: DorkTower1394.jpg]

Could somebody explain to me, please, just how "social justice warrior" is supposed to be anything other than a compliment?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Because it's NOT a compliment.

Read this CAREFULLY.

http://blackaeronaut.tumblr.com/post/1 ... -incidents

The implication is supposed to be that a "social justice warrior" is pursuing social equality at the expense of any common sense and compromise (with those who don't see the damage their words cause), with the idea that it's a zero-sum game (well, it is... for those who would have to start learning how to moderate their own behavior).
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

So, what I'm seeing here is that somebody has co-opted the dictionary meaning of those three words and twisted the phrase to mean the exact opposite of what a neutral, reasonably-educated person (such as John Kovalic or myself) would take the phrase to mean. Is this correct?
--
Rob Kelk

Blame Tumblr. Or at least the toxic parts of Tumblr for being so vile and hideous that they make 4chan look sane - the shitposters in there at least acknowledge they're bad people, even if it's with a sort of psychotic glee. These so-called SJW's from Tumblr, though? They don't care. They think they're so just in their causes that all must bow down to their imagined moral superiority, all while they pridefully bear the SJW badge.

So yeah.

Rob, do you remember the bozo who wandered into ATT a couple times, and tried to change all the page names with "God" in them to use "Deity" instead, on the grounds that "god" was masculine and the page names thus were sexist? Classic SJW., completely devoid of common sense. I mean, I understand and laud the goals, but it's a self-appointed army of no-compromise morons who acknowledge no point of view but their own. They do more damage than good.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Yeah, I'm with Rob on this one. I know what it means, and I know exactly what people mean when they say it. But as an insult, it has no effect on me, other than to inform me that the offended party is really interested in "ethics in gaming journalism". It's the same as "bleeding-heart liberal": why yes, I am, thank you. "Snowflake", on the other hand — I've been known to use that one against my own team. That's a really good insult.

But as far as I'm concerned, "bozo" was more accurate terminology than "SJW" in Bob's example. I don't see a whole lot of difference between the alt-right, so-called SJWs, and Vogons in terms of ideological flexibility.
-- ∇×V

Quote:vorticity wrote:
I don't see a whole lot of difference between the alt-right, so-called SJWs, and Vogons in terms of ideological flexibility.
How dare you, sir!  How dare you insult the Vogons in that manner!  They are a proud people, the Vogons ... not that they have anything to be proud of....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Well, when someone tries to use 'snowflake' against me, because how dare I point out that "that concept does not mean what you think it means," I just answer with "Yes, and Winter is coming."
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

Do remember, some of those who attempt to use the term as an insult are trying to imply that, the second you even think of calling someone out, you've gone too far and are now a "social justice warrior" to be beaten back down. I think that's kind of where Rob's been going with asking about the term.

And yes, to a certain extent, it's a deliberate warping of the meaning of the words involved.

From what I can tell in social media, those who take deliberate pride in wearing the term are either neck-deep in targeted at them abuse for daring to have any strong opinions and using it as a way to fight back, or are so far gone that even those interested in social equality tend to keep them at arm's reach at best.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Yeah, you've got the right of it.

We need a different term for people who actually work to bring justice to society - the front-line social workers, the lawyers who work pro bono beyond the amount mandated by law and/or association, the people who volunteer at women's shelters ... Any ideas?
--
Rob Kelk

Heroes.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

It's a pity Yuku doesn't allow the liking of posts Bob.

Hazard Wrote:It's a pity Yuku doesn't allow the liking of posts Bob.
+1
--
Rob Kelk

Here here! *Drains his glass then throws it into the fire pit*
EDIT: It only just now occurred to me to do this...  Wink
Quote:DHBirr wrote:
Quote:vorticity wrote:
I don't see a whole lot of difference between the alt-right, so-called SJWs, and Vogons in terms of ideological flexibility.
How dare you, sir!  How dare you insult the Vogons in that manner!  They are a proud people, the Vogons ... not that they have anything to be proud of....
Well, the Vogons are actually quite proud of being terrible people.  Guess they all post on 4chan/b/.  :V

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Heroes.
Yuku really needs rating icons, cause if this were the Kiwi Farms, I'd rate this "Semper Fidelis" so very much.