Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For anyone still using Photobucket...
For anyone still using Photobucket...
...you may want to read this article. I haven't verified it, but it would appear that they are beginning to charge to embed images on other sites. http://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photo ... ed-images/

yeah, this is pretty much accurate as far as I can tell.   And when I saw what they wanted me to pay I promptly went "F*ck that!"
I'd started looking through my Photobucket folders to see what I wanted to transfer to Imgur, but was unaware of the mass copying bit mentioned in the article.

Yeah, I agree with the idea that they're counting on a bunch of people deciding to pay rather than go through on, say, a website, or the forum where they've been a massive contributor, and relink everything to somewhere else. Some forums even disable post edits after a certain amount of time, so the threads would be permanently broken without paying. And that price is highway robbery; the only reason people would pay it is because of the "effective" cost of moving over to something else, and I bet that's what they're counting on. However, this is the internet; posts will remain broken as a legacy to this, and people are probably already jumping ship to the other still-free services. Particularly if the report is true that you can't really buy it a month at a time and they force you into buying a whole year.

The only reason I entertain renting my own hosting space for images is for the few places I have to really save images down for size for the privilege of posting them directly on their service, where it won't ever break unless the place has something happen.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor