Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pending Move
Re: Pending Move
Okay, I'm starting to think going that route is a bad idea, then.  Thanks, everyone.-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
The article does point out potential reasons your current host doesn't want to do https, and it's inserting the stuff needed to support the crypto and such.

Of course, if Google starts just marking sites as untrusted if they're not, then your host is going to have to do it whether they want to or not in order to remain even remotely relevant.--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
We need HTTPS, and not an RC4 implementation. Browsers are starting to block insecure content as a matter of course.

For example, http://static.sluggy.com/comics/900/17 ... 1abifQ.png in Opera presents this instead of the image:
Quote:This site can’t provide a secure connection

static.sluggy.com uses an unsupported protocol.

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Hey, folks, before anyone tries to alert me, I know the boards are "down for maintenance".  I just ducked in a moment ago and noticed that I had 7 unregistered guests reading them.  I took a look at their specifics, and discovered they were all from the same server in Ukraine, and a couple of them were going through a thread every second or so.  Others were trying to read threads that had gotten nuked in last week's Great Fatfinger Escapade.  

Since the "Stop Forum Spam" website identified at least one of the IP addresses as being a known spammer, I threw the big switch to frustrate them and to prevent any possible security issues.  I'll turn it back on when I get home from work in 90 minutes or so.-- Bob
---------
Sees the spam bots,

Burn the Heretics! !! 
As I see them, I'm also adding them to the IP ban list.  Remember how I said MyBB had hundreds of fiddly little controls?  That's one I'm learning to use today!

(My first reaction to the Admin Control Panel for MyBB:  insert pan across several football fields' worth of dashboard from Airplane! here)-- Bob
---------
HAH!

More seriously, though...  Bob, you may want to double check the politics forum.  It looks like the Mike Godwin thread and maybe one other didn't get ported over.

Or is that still a work in progress?
Bob Schroeck Wrote:As I see them, I'm also adding them to the IP ban list.  Remember how I said MyBB had hundreds of fiddly little controls?  That's one I'm learning to use today!

(My first reaction to the Admin Control Panel for MyBB:  insert pan across several football fields' worth of dashboard from Airplane! here)

Just a thought: Do we want to copy over the banned-IP list from ATT?--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Black Aeronaut Wrote:More seriously, though...  Bob, you may want to double check the politics forum.  It looks like the Mike Godwin thread and maybe one other didn't get ported over.
Or is that still a work in progress?
Remember I'm not porting live board contents, but the scrape that Brent made about a month ago -- and that thread and at least one other are younger than that.  

We will get all the intervening content -- in fact, I had meant to send him an email earlier today asking him to do an incremental scrape of the a single locked forum so I can test my script to bring its contents over -- slightly different from the one I'm using now, as it has to make sure a thread doesn't exist first before creating it this time -- but I forgot in my rush to get ready for work this morning.-- Bob
---------
robkelk Wrote:Just a thought: Do we want to copy over the banned-IP list from ATT?
On my to-do list for tonight was to look for such lists, so I certainly wouldn't mind having that.  I had quite forgotten it existed, actually.-- Bob
---------
As of a moment ago, the entire DW section of the board has been transferred and locked.-- Bob
---------
I notice that on the new forums "General Chatter" is now just "General". Can we get the "Chatter" part back? With "General" being both the category and the forum name sometimes I'll be distracted and click on the wrong one.

-Morgan.