Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archive binging and marathon watching
Archive binging and marathon watching
In amongst my "busy" schedule of the last two months (especially during that week I was home with a busted wrist), I did some online archive binging and some marathon watching... I have completely gone through, in order, all of the Sluggy Freelance archives (just in time for the strip to be ending its regular schedule!) and have read all of the installments of both Things Involving Shipgirls That Are No Longer Allowed threads. Oh, and I've re-watched the original Macross.

How has everyone else been wasting their time similarly?--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: Archive binging and marathon watching
Nothing doin' here.  I'm working 10-12 hours a night, usually Mon-Fri, and sometimes Saturdays, too.  :p
Hmm, my most recent webcomic archive binge was Gunnerkrigg Court?  I guess I've been reading that for about a year now, so maybe I need to find new webcomics.  I've been rereading Kimi wa Petto lately, and I seem to have forgotten how good it is.

In the anime front, I've been watching a bit more.  I finished the anime of Zipang which means I should pick up the manga.  Sakura Wars was great fun.  Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna (The Woman Called Fujiko Mine) was a delightful deconstruction of Green Jacket-era Lupin III, and I've been making my way through Goldfish Warning! and Super Gals!.

While Sailor Moon was a thing when I was growing up, I didn't see it then.  I only got into anime around 2009, but for some reason I still tend to gravitate towards 1990-2004 era anime.  This also means that, like Shadowjack, I'm somewhat immune to the nostalgia thing.  And yet we both think Sailor Moon is a fine television program.  Anyway, I'm still aware of modern anime, but when I read a review saying that My Girlfriend is a Gal sucks and should watch Super Gals instead, well I guess it's time to watch another classic.-- ?×V
You guys might wanna binge the Tenchi Muyo OVAs here soon.  The last episode of OVA4 is coming out in September, and with OVAs 1 through 3 combined, that's pretty much like a whole season of anime right there.

Also, it is highly recommended that before you watch OVA3, but ONLY after watching OVA2, that you watch at least a few episodes of Tenchi Muyo GXP.  It introduces characters into the canon that pop up suddenly in OVA3 and will therefore be a lot less jarring.  Not only that, but it's also chronologically accurate as the events in OVA3 take place somewhere in the middle of GXP.  (Pro tip - stop watching GXP when they go back to Earth and visit Seina's home and watch OVA3.  Otherwise... certain developments will have you going WTF!?)

Oh, and PS: The Tenchi Muyo anime IP rights have been bought from AIC by Kadokawa.  We are all very happy about this development because Kadokawa is also the IP rights holder to all the Tenchi Muyo manga and light novel series, which, with the exception of the Okuda mangas, are very much in-line with Kajishima-sensei's will.  Kadokawa will very likely be producing OVA5.

EDIT: Also, what's really cool is that after watching OVA4, you can dive right into watching Isekai Seikishi no Monogatari (aka Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar) with a very clear idea of what's going on.  If that's not enough of a binge for you guys, I dunno what is.  Wink
... Hm.  We started Geminar some months back, stopped in the middle, and restarted.  Maybe we should do OVA4 in its entirety and then start Geminar over again.-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Am I the only person whose reaction to Geminar was "meh" - neither like nor dislike?

(Mind you, I seem to be the only person whose reaction to Evangelion was "Meh"...)--
Rob Kelk

Not really, Rob... we didn't have the same enthusiastic response to it that we did to Tenchi or GXP.  But we did want to continue watching.-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Nope.  My binge was picking up the Roller Coaster Tycoon collection on steam and blowing the dust off my coaster and park building skills in preparation for eventually buying either RCT World or Coaster planet.

Anyone else into that genre who can maybe share opinions of the two?Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

[b]NO QUARTER!!![/b]

-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Right now I'm watching season two of Assassination Classroom, watched the half-season of Voltron in a couple of hours and been rewatching Ultraman Mebius.
Just spent two hours marathoning Erma. Well worth the time.--
Rob Kelk

Same, though for me it was more than two hours.  :p
Recently Binged:
Toradora (subbed)
2/3 of Eva (dubbed/ platinum ed)

Watching:
Matoi the Sacred Slayer (subbed)
Ambition of PDA Nobuna (subbed, interesting possible romcom)
No game no life (subbed, pushes the siscon border a bit)
Nobunaga the fool (subbed, has definitely caught my interest)

Recently played catch up from the tail end of November till now on multiple fanfics and web comics, still have others to read. 
I have a tendency to let shows pile up in my DVR, and then come back to them when a season or series is done. Currently, I'm binging on the first season of "Preacher," but I have more than a season of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." and the second season of "Hap & Leonard" still waiting on me. To say nothing of my Netflix shows (only halfway through "Luke Cage" and still have two seasons of "Person of Interest").

As for anime, well... there's a lot.Ebony the Black Dragon

http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
I can sympathize. (Don't ask me about my box of unwatched anime... because I'd have to ask "which box?")--
Rob Kelk

I've been binge-reading the "Kurtherian Gambit" novel series, which is basically popcorn-pulp urban-fantasy-turned-sci-fi. (TLDR version: Multiple factions of aliens seeded Earth with nanotech thousands of years ago, creating werewolves, vampires, etc. Now certain parties are a little torqued off about this.)

And sculpting spaceships for ADB.

Anime-wise, I started on Princess Principle which looks excellent so far (steampunk spy capers operating out of a girl's school), and Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records which features a slacker ex-special-ops dude shanghaied into teaching at a magic school.--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.