Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's late September and we really should be getting cool...
RE: It's late September and we really should be getting cool...
It looks like we got our first lasting snow yesterday. We're getting more tonight and tomorrow - an "Alberta clipper" is headed our way, promising 10-15cm (4-6") of snow over 24 hours. EDIT: Now they're saying "minimum 10cm". Oh, and the temperature this morning was -17C (~ 1F)...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
It's been snowing steadily, if with occasional breaks, since Friday in the Netherlands. As the temperature continues to hover around 0 degrees Celsius we are getting a lot of slush and ice patches. It's a good thing it's not just the car roads that get salted here; if you think driving with summer tires in a car is liable to make you slip, try doing it with maybe 100 kilograms of cyclist and bicycle on a pair of cycling tires no more than 3 centimeters wide while dealing with a tangled mess of frozen and hardened tracks hidden in soft snow.
Rochester NY got a dusting of snow yesterday, and a couple of inches' worth last night. Looks like it's sticking around now.

Glad I'm working from home.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
The temperatures have fallen down to the 20s here, and there's a light dusting on the ground. Of course, that's in Celsius, and that dusting is made out of ash. Red Flag Warning through Friday, which means we'll have had offshore flow (with fire) for a week and a half.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Does anybody want some cold air?

The forecast for Ottawa is for the high temperatures to be at or below 1F at least through New Year's Day. The forecast low tonight is -26C / -15F, and it doesn't get any better for at least three nights.

EDIT: It could be worse. At least we have power - unlike parts of Nova Scotia.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Welp. A cold wave has just swept in over a lot of the Northeast USA. Yesterday had a high of 25 F, and last night got down to 12 F; today the high was maybe 21, with 9 F forecast for tonight -- and 8 F for New Year's Eve. Not as bad as Ottawa, but still frigid for this area.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Tonight's low in Ottawa with wind chill is expected to be below -40. (At that point, it doesn't matter what scale we're using.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-28-2017, 07:38 PM)robkelk Wrote: Tonight's low in Ottawa with wind chill is expected to be below -40. (At that point, it doesn't matter what scale we're using.)

*nods*  As I recall, -40 is where the Farenheit and Celsius scales match up.  -40 in one = -40 in the other.   Either way it's DAMN COLD!
And I must correct myself: I thought the cold snap was regional, but it's clearly much larger -- WCBS radio in NYC described it as affecting the "eastern two thirds of the United States", which means it's almost certainly the same system which is making Ottawa so roasty-toasty right now.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Light jacket weather during the week, freezing cold on the weekends here.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Niagara Falls, last week. (source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/extrem...-1.4471078 )

[Image: cold-weather-niagara-falls-20180102.jpg]
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold! Also, Niagara Falls.

SoCal is frustratingly warm here. I was just eating an ice cream outside in shorts at midnight, while the dog was hunting for rats. Currently 61°F. So far this season, no precipitation of any kind. Ash counts as deposition and not precipitation, you see. I'd really like to see some rain at all this year? This is theoretically our rainy season. Monday is supposed to be rainy, fingers crossed.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Would you like some from the Netherlands? We've had 65 millimeters of rain just this past week.
30-40 degree F swings in temperature here right now... from 27 to a forecast 55 today, and we've had larger variations than that between the low and the high. I don't recall this sort of swing being the norm for days on end.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Just saw the forecast for the next few days around here -- we're heading for -4F tomorrow night. The weather report was talking about another polar vortex hitting us.
-- Bob

Bob, that's our forecast high for tomorrow.

Oh, and Nova Scotia got a foot of snow yesterday.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, some of Nova Scotia.  Halifax mainly got a great deal of rain.  And wind, lots of wind.

And some photos:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scoti...47?cmp=rss
The Roman Rule:  The one who says it cannot be done should
                 never interrupt the one who is doing it.
    -- BSD fortune file
Good to hear that you're okay.

And the fourth photo in that set (of Peggy's Cove) is very impressive...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, this is cool.

A man in PEI took a nap at the start of the storm, and woke up to discover some ice that wasn't there when he dozed off:

[Image: submitted-by-philip-metcalfe.JPG]

Source and story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edw...-1.4474974

This is not cool: Two aircraft collided at Toronto Pearson airport.

On the ground, so no fatalities, but the way I'm reading the story at least one of the jets appears to be a write-off. And I expect this will delay getting the flights out of YYZ back on schedule after the big storm.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It won't cause much of a delay. A replacement jet will be arranged but the actual challenge is the extreme cold.

As for the ice... I now realize why shifting ice can be such a terror.
Good news: The forecast is for the temperature to go up to -10C today, stay there overnight, and get almost to freezing tomorrow.

Bad news: There's a blizzard warning.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And our cold snap breaks today, with a forecast high of 30F or more -- and tomorrow's supposed to be in the 40s.

However, there's also a 50% chance of snow showers today circa noon or afterwards.
-- Bob

Mixed rain and snow here in lower Michigan; according to two separate readings, the temperature is just above freezing.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
No blizzard, but we did get and are getting some snow. This being Ottawa, almost everyone has forgotten how to drive.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well it's noon-thirty here and while it's overcast, no snow showers have appeared yet.
-- Bob