Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's late September and we really should be getting cool...
RE: It's late September and we really should be getting cool...
Ottowa + snow sounds like Los Angeles + rain.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
More like "Ottawa - clear-and-sunny" than "Ottawa + snow"... <sigh>
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
HA! I was referring to the way it seems like everyone but me either overcompensates for the change in road conditions or drives like they are dry and they have the full operating regime of their car available. And when the two meet... its by accident. *rimshot.mp3*

Of course, either way it sounds like you feel like SCAR whenever you get in your car...
"I'm Surrounded by IDIOTS"

Oh, and for the record, its been raining to some degree or another for most of the day and well into tomorrow. A lot of people are thinking that its not if, but when and how bad the mudslides will be in the burn scars.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Whoo-hoo! 50F forecast for tomorrow and/or Friday. Who cares if there's rain?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
We finally got rain in Southern California, and a good amount of it, on Monday and Tuesday. So this means the wildfire is pretty much out, finally. Of course, some hillsides slid down, breaking a gas main and causing new fires, but at least they didn't last long. The mudslides were in some sense the most dangerous part of the fire: fire and smoke only killed two people, but hills with no protective vegetation have killed thirteen. The freeway is still closed due to mud.

For the first six hours of rain, the air smelled quite smoky, probably from aromatics in the deposited ash being released by the water. But things have gotten a lot cleaner since then, as most of the ash has washed away.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
59 degrees F here in Rochester NY right now.

And the weather folk are predicting 13 degree lows and up to 2 feet of snow tonight.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Currently 12C (53F) in Ottawa, and raining. The forecast is that tonight's low will be -15C (5F), and precipitation will continue overnight.

We have a flash freeze warning for this afternoon.

The drive home is not going to be fun...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
64F here in Somerset and pouring rain. At least I won't have to walk through snow to take down the holiday decorations tomorrow.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
We've had the flash-freeze, and road conditions are horrid. There's a radio report of a salt-spreader truck losing traction, tipping over, and losing its load - on one of the busiest roads in town.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Bad weather again - in Ottawa, snow now, followed by freezing rain tonight and tomorrow. (In Kingston, freezing rain has already started. Highway 401 - the busiest freeway in North America - already has multiple-vehicle collisions.) The Trans-Canada Highway is closed near Pembrooke.

I'm not shoveling the walkway today. I want the layer of snow under the ice so that I can actually pick it all up and shovel it tomorrow.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And here in NJ it's been highs in the 50s F since Saturday, and forecast to stay that way for much if not all of the rest of the week. In fact, it might get into the 60s tomorrow.

Rain, too, now and then, but hell, I'll take rain with my 50s.
-- Bob

The Southern California "winter" continues to present its unique challenges.  The Ventura Freeway reopened today after being closed for two weeks by mudslides.  The mudslide from the burn area killed 20 people in the rich enclave of Montecito, proving that climate change isn't just going to hurt the poor like everyone thought.

I guess people there decided that they had enough evacuation from fire, and what was a little mud going to do?  This attitude would be a little more understandible (if not forgivable) if 10 people hadn't been killed in mudslide 13 years ago 10 miles away.  It's not like La Conchita's slide is a distant memory or anything.  So, 20 deaths from mud, 2 from the initial fire.

Only one real rainstorm this year.  At least it's been windy enough at night to clear out the fire smell lately.  And hey, at least we're not in South Africa, as I hear Cape Town is running out of water.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto