Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
RE: "It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
(05-30-2018, 06:20 PM)JFerio Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 06:16 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: Huh, Valve actually did something. That's a rare occurrence.

It was the possibility that it would become publicly known outside of certain gamer circles that they stopped giving a crap about what they're selling and will basically allow anything to grace the storefront.

That, and it looks like more than a few places reported it with 'Valve sells school shooting game' as the headline. I'm still surprised.
Just noticed this one:

[Image: puzzled.gif]
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Meanwhile, it seems someone is feeling threatened by the leadership shown by the Parkland students: David Hogg’s family was swatted.

The article calls it a prank, but I am no longer willing to give the benefit of the doubt to assholes.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(06-10-2018, 09:10 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: The article calls it a prank, 

Swatting is a murder attempt using police as a weapon. Calling it a prank is a disgrace.
Silverfang's link is coming up 404 for me
(06-10-2018, 09:56 PM)Norgarth Wrote: Silverfang's link is coming up 404 for me

The Forum added a https to the start again. Let's try again
(06-10-2018, 09:10 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: Meanwhile, it seems someone is feeling threatened by the leadership shown by the Parkland students: David Hogg’s family was swatted.

The article calls it a prank, but I am no longer willing to give the benefit of the doubt to assholes.

Deploying armed paramilitary forces to forcefully enter a residence on spurious reasons is not a prank. Frankly, Matrix Dragon is right, especially given how shoot happy US police are.
Particularly considering that several comments attached to an earlier article on this incident (no, I don't have a link) were expressions of disappointment that Hogg wasn't killed.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Reset the clock!
Four dead in shooting at newspaper building in Maryland, suspect in custody
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
CBC News reporting "at least five" dead.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Gotta wonder if there's any connection between this incident and Milo Yiannopoulos' latest blather.
It is possible. These people like to set things on fire and then when the consequences come knocking try to cover it with a "I was only joking," comment.

From the latest reports, the guy had no ID, scarred his own fingerprints, and was carrying flash-bangs on his pack. This tells me that he must have been planning for a while.

(06-28-2018, 07:46 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: It is possible. These people like to set things on fire and then when the consequences come knocking try to cover it with a "I was only joking," comment.

As you said.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
And CNN didn't bother to bleep it.

“I don’t know what I want right now but I’m gonna need more than a couple days of news coverage and thoughts and prayers…thanks for your prayers but I couldn’t give a f*ck about them if there’s nothing else,” she told the unfazed CNN host.

(06-28-2018, 08:26 PM)DHBirr Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 07:46 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: It is possible. These people like to set things on fire and then when the consequences come knocking try to cover it with a "I was only joking," comment.

As you said.

When you sit down and read the stories and histories of authoritarians, they all follow the same playbook.
From King Ahasuerus and Haman the Agagite, to Fulgencio Batista, to Duvalier, to Rafael Trujillo, to Pinochet; to Franco, to Stalin, to Hitler, to Boskone, Palpatine, and now Trump and the GOP, and many others fictional and not.

We only keep falling for it because we have become proud of our ignorance of story and history.

(06-28-2018, 07:33 PM)Inquisitive Raven Wrote: Gotta wonder if there's any connection between this incident and Milo Yiannopoulos' latest blather.

From what I heard on the news this morning, not likely.  The guy had a long-standing grudge with the newspaper, dating back to at least 2011 over a failed defamation suit he filed when they reported on a criminal harassment case brought against him.  No politics here, just an angry guy with a hate on for an outfit he thought had damaged his reputation.  (Not that he was doing any better himself -- he's apparently got a history as a social media ragebot.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
But would he have gone to the lengths that he did (doing a methodical search, reloading, etc. - this was a Montréal Polytechnique situation) if the political climate was different?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A better question would be to first ask if he'd had contact with Milo Yiannopoulos' comments. If yes, he might've been encouraged. It's something the forensic experts and profilers will need to consider.
A different question, but not necessarily a better one. That's a different possible contributing factor from the one that I identified.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yiannopolous isn't the only one offering encouragement to shoot journalists. Dana Loesch, spokeperson for the NRA has made declarations calling for the same.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...40341.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...22566.html

Money Quote:
Dana Loesch Wrote:“I’m happy frankly to see them curb-stomped. I mean let's be real about it.”

“These people are just the worst thing that could ever possibly happen to the American political system right now with the way that they cover so many things. Nobody gets a fair shake on policy, no one gets a fair shake where it concerns immigration. They conflate illegal and legal immigration.

“They conflate a number of things – particularly the coverage on gun control. I have so many things that I hate about mainstream media, there is no way we are going to fit it in the allotted time today. They are the rat bastards of the earth. They are the boil on the backside of American politics.”

If I were to make the same declarations about a government official, you can bet I would have a visit by the Secret Service and an FBI file.

Well, that didn't take long.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
no it didn't Dartz, it never amazes me anymore how people can blame everyone but the person who Actually Pulled the Damn Trigger, this fucker has been planning this for a while, getting actual smoke grenades, which he shouldn't have been able to AT ALL.

Also, if this guy had a felony conviction over that harrassment charge, there is no way that he could have LEGALLY gotten even the shotgun he used.

Heres a thought, if gun control laws actually work against the people they are supposedly supposed to stop, then why, pray tell, do criminals have them when it's the law abiding citizen that is stopped by them.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

The United States would have to try gun control laws first, to see if they did work to stop crime.  You can't say that gun control laws don't work in the United States, because we've never actually had anything stronger than gun discouragement.

I would hold off on the Milo stuff for now.  While there are some cultural climate things that are really ramping up the violence, I'd be surprised if most mass shooters had a common political bent.  And when you try to ascribe violence to political philosophy, it really makes the tribalism kick in, which is counterproductive to actually solving the violence.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(06-29-2018, 08:33 PM)Rajvik Wrote: ...
Heres a thought, if gun control laws actually work against the people they are supposedly supposed to stop, then why, pray tell, do criminals have them when it's the law abiding citizen that is stopped by them.

Please provide examples of where the USA has gun control laws in place and functioning. I'll set the bar low: give me a jurisdiction that comes within 75% of the restrictions enforced in Canada.

Let us not forget the other 22 dead and 37 injured as a result of gun violence in the USA on the same day as the Annapolis newspaper shooting.

Quote:And June 28 was a relatively slow day for gunplay.

On Wednesday, there were at least 93 gun incidents in the U.S., causing 30 more deaths and 83 woundings.

Also, some raw data:
  • June 18, 2018: 3 shot dead in Bloomington, IL
  • June 11, 2018: 5 shot dead in Orlando, FL
  • June 5, 2018: 3 shot dead in Jacksonville, FL
  • May 31, 2018: 3 shot dead in Timmonsville, SC
  • May 18, 2018: 10 shot dead in Santa Fe, TX
  • May 16, 2018: 5 shot dead in Ponder, TX
  • May 13, 2018: 3 shot dead in Stockton, CA
  • April 25, 2018: 3 shot dead in Saint Louis, MI
  • April 22, 2018: 4 shot dead in Antioch, TN
  • April 18, 2018: 4 shot dead in Asheville, NC
  • March 9, 2018: 3 shot dead in Wadesboro, NC
  • February 26, 2018: 5 shot dead in Detroit, MI
  • February 14, 2018: 14 shot dead in Pompano Beach (Parkland), FL
  • February 13, 2018: 3 shot dead in New Orleans, LA
  • February 11, 2018: 4 shot dead in Detroit, MI
  • February 10, 2018: 5 shot dead in Paintsville, KY
  • February 7, 2018: 3 shot dead in Lake Worth (Lantana), FL
  • January 28, 2018: 5 shot dead in Melcroft, PA
  • January 28, 2018: 4 shot dead in Reading, PA
  • January 12, 2018: 3 shot dead in Nashville, TN
I did not list any shooting incidents where zero, one, or two people died; I limited this to mass shootings where at least 3 people died. See this list for all mass shootings in the USA in 2018 so far, and for links to the reports of the incidents listed above.

<sigh>

You know you have a problem.

You have known at least since the late 1960s that you have a problem. (Reading Playboy for the articles includes reading advertisments about this in issues published in the 1960s.)

And since you have known for over a half-century, I suppose there's no point in asking you to fix it. You as a country don't want to fix it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/06/thanks-...interview/

“I don’t know what I want right now but I’m gonna need more than a couple days of news coverage and thoughts and prayers…thanks for your prayers but I couldn’t give a f*ck about them if there’s nothing else,” she told the unfazed CNN host.