Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They'll have to bring the road's in.....
They'll have to bring the road's in.....
So, apparrently, a Hurricane - or a post-tropical depression, or something, is going to drop its shit on us Monday next week.

This is, of course, being treated with the mild amusement that all weather related oddities are.

Half the midlands will flood.
The ESB will open the dams above Cork city and flood the city to keep from flooding the city.
Traffic will grind to a halt.
Nobody will prepare for anything.
Shrubs might also be pulled up.
Varadkar's solution to the homeless question will be revealed in all it's gory.

The fucker'll probably miss anyway and nail England.

Either way, [Image: tenor.gif]

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
RE: They'll have to bring the road's in.....
That's probably the same storm system that's ruining our weekend in central and eastern Canada.

Mind you, we're used to getting two or three storm systems each year that are leftovers from hurricanes, so, yeah, "mild amusement".
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
It's a different one....

This one spawned and decided to take a right turn up the gulf stream instead of going the normal way. Sure it won't be near as strong as the big-ones but it's betting on surprise. Last time this happened in '86 it was fairly notorious - it pasted the English and let to a hilarious mistake from the forecaster.

It still needs to cross the azores in one piece, mind.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

Well, have fun Dartz. At least we've got you guys to work as a crumple zone, because massive storm + storm surge facing off against a country that has half its land below sea level tends to suck for the guys living in the polders. Tongue

No but seriously, I hope it doesn't get worse than a bit of unpleasant weather.
Yeah, response ranges from PANIC!!! on Boards.ie who think we'll turn into Porto Rico at the merest fart,  to mild amusement at the fools who don't realise it'll stall as soon as it hits cold water.  It's up to a Cat III atm, but it'll dump quickly tomorrow. Apparently, it's the northernmost and westermosts Cat III on record.

The Met office have released a Red alert. This means Only one Thing  I've stocked the fridge with beer just in case.

Right now, it's mild and quiet out. Actually really pleasant for this time of year.

Anyway. At least I have the right soundtrack

Good choice of music.

To be honest, on the one side Ireland should be in a lot better position than Puerto Rico because I quite frankly can't imagine the EU dropping the ball as badly as the US has, if only out of spite and rancor. If EU government officials aren't already talking with each other to coordinate a future relieve effort I'd be surprised. On the other hand, we haven't seen a storm like this in a good while here. A response is likely. An immediately effective response is more up in the air.
If it comes to the worst, ask Canada for help. (The USA hasn't, so the Disaster Assistance Response Team is still ready to go.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't think we'll get that far.

For all the hype, it'll probably blow over without much harm.

Anyway, we have the defence forces. So long as the disaster comes before 5pm anyway.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environm...-1.3256846

Hmmm. People are starting to take it a little more seriously because it hasn't weakened as much as was expected. Met Eireann are having a great time talking about their coilleagues in the National Hurrican Centre In Miami

There's calm before the storm, and then there's this... I'm a hundred meters from the coast here, so there's always some air moving out to sea, or back in. But now there's nothing outside. It's like a film set or something outside. You'd normally get an echo off your voice from the walls but even that's gone. The little tips at the tops of the trees aren't even moving. Never seen that.

The neighbour even had the BBQ out today.

They're talking about it on the news again and how it's sending a blast of warm air up over Scandinavia and Normway, and into the Continent.

Weather forecast just now: "This is not the remnants of a Hurricane. This is an 'actual' Hurricane that is developing. The red alert may be extended to the entire country."

They've really changed their tone over the course of the day. It's being treated with a lot more seriousness. They're specifically saying this sin't like the normal storms we get.

And now the whole country's gone to red alert

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/thi...28710.html

'This is not the remnants of a hurricane, this IS a hurricane' - Red weather warning extended nationwide as Hurricane Ophelia barrels in

Very high winds, flooding and structural damage predicted over next 48 hours
Forecaster Evelyn Cusack: Weather event almost unprecedented for this country
Aer Lingus cancel over 50 flights
UL, NUI Galway and GMIT all to close
Schools told to close, and ESB on alert with winds of more than 130km/h expected Monday
Army on standby over fears storm damage could paralyse communities
Courts in red warning areas will not sit

Well, at least it looks like it will just skim the west and north Irish coast before shifting track for Scotland?

I understand it's a bit of a mixed blessing, but still.
Good luck, Dartz!
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Yes, good luck, and please keep us up to date on your status as the storm approaches.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I'll be in work for most of tomorrow.

It seems Ireland in general isn't taking this thing half as seriously as the foreign media. It's being treated with a mix of mild amusement and nervous excitement.

Met Eireann are trying to convince everyone it is that serious.
One of the city adventure centre's has invited the homeless in for the night.
Most people aren't sure if they're supposed to come to work or not.
Dublin busses - the big double-deck yokes - will run until 9am. Then they'll figure out what to do.
Rail services are running as normal, except in Limerick.
Bus Eireann routes are stopping
Schools and Colleges are closing.
Hospitals have cancelled all appointments.
Courts aren't sitting.
Post isn't running.

It's started tickling with wind in the South but I've run up the coast to Dublin now. Would've preferred to get down to the coast for the show, but I've work in the morning. Be an interesting commute

(10-15-2017, 03:12 PM)hazard Wrote: Well, at least it looks like it will just skim the west and north Irish coast before shifting track for Scotland?

So...  This is going to be much like the Bagpipes all over again?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
(10-15-2017, 06:10 PM)Dartz Wrote: It seems Ireland in general isn't taking this thing half as seriously as the foreign media. It's being treated with a mix of mild amusement and nervous excitement.

Met Eireann are trying to convince everyone it is that serious.

I can tell you when the eye of the hurricane passed by the coast - we had some very high winds in Ottawa.

Yes, Ottawa. Over a thousand kilometers from the storm, and we still noticed it.

Please convince your loved ones to take this seriously.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
[Image: S01E03-Crv6gfw7-subtitled.jpg]

Looks like it's going to scutter up the west coast alright

There's a bit of a breeze tickling up in Dublin, and it's time for work. Should be nobody sane out for the commute

Looks like a definite extratropical cyclone by now, with a front and all -- but still hurricane-force winds. Stay safe.

The National Hurricane Center in Miami's site has Ophelia at the very top right corner of the map on the front page. You can tell that's something really weird is happening if it doesn't fit on the normal map. The Eastern Atlantic is freakishly warm right now (google "SST anomaly" to see maps), so this looks like one of them black swan events. Unless it keeps happening, which, who knows at this point.

I do have to congratulate the WMO on the storm naming this year. Harvey struck Texas, María struck Puerto Rico, and Ophelia (eventually) will hit the land of Shakespeare. Excellent theme naming, 10/10. (The list is picked in advance with a combination of English, Spanish, and French names for the North Atlantic.)
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(10-16-2017, 02:07 AM)Labster Wrote: ...
I do have to congratulate the WMO on the storm naming this year.  Harvey struck Texas, María struck Puerto Rico, and Ophelia (eventually) will hit the land of Shakespeare.  Excellent theme naming, 10/10.  (The list is picked in advance with a combination of English, Spanish, and French names for the North Atlantic.)

Looks like Ophelia is going to give England a miss. Map courtesy of the NOAA via the BBC:
[Image: _98333149_hurricane_ophelia_161017_v01_640map-nc-4.png]

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41627442
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And it's going to miss Denmark, too, and fail to get the backup Shakespeare reference as well.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Missed us too

Went to work. Got called off because we thought the buiiilding was locked. Found out an hour later it wasn't so scooted it 'before the worst'. Better to ride it in an office with CHP

It's like 28 days later all day.

The lights are on. There's power. But that's it. It is fucking desolate with only the odd car around. Even at rush hour - there were less on the roads than the average Sunday evening. Belted home in less than 15 minutes.

And nabbed a video on the commute home.

This part normally takes 4-5 times as long, and is usually just brakelights.

The BBC's reporting that three people have died.
-- Bob

Two of them directly due to the storm, while driving.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Great in that advice worked. Bad in that nobody'll realise it was because of the advice to stay in.

Good to hear you are alright Darts, I was on the bad side of Nate but just far enough out that all we got was a few limbs down and lost power in the middle of the night for about 5 hours.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

It hit Galway Bay?  But what about all those poor Hookers?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children