Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did we always have so many unregistered readers?
Did we always have so many unregistered readers?
This morning, just a few moments ago, the status report at the bottom of the top page (that at least I see, I don't know if it's visible to other people) reported that at that moment, using the board were me, four registered users, Bing, Google -- and 9 unregistered guests.  And none of the IPs for the guests popped up on the web-based antispam database that MyBB can be (and is, here) configured to interface with.  (Although two were locally recorded as having been used by registered users in the past.)

Usually when I see a high number of guests, at least a few of them are viewing the "no permissions" page, which tells me they're likely spammers.  And indeed, IP checking in those cases usually turns up at least one bad actor in the database.  But today's unusually "clean", which makes me wonder, do we actually have that many legitimate unregistered readers?  If so, wow.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Did we always have so many unregistered readers?
That might be partially my fault - I've recently been mentioning the forum over on the SJGames forum (because IST), so we may have a few lurkers coming over to check us out.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I will admit I will drift through without signing in, just to see what's new.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Being told to be 'open minded' about something is usually a code for 'you're not going to like this, but I want to subject you to it anyway'. Conversely, being told that you are 'closed-minded' is generally a means of asserting that 'I don't like the fact that you're proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my argument is a philosophical deficiency'." - RationalWiki
I also admit to going through unsigned-in as preference.

NOTE: as I type this the top page has as Who's Online:
Who's Online [Complete List]
2 members, 0 invisible, and 1 guest
Bing, Google, Yandex, Bob Schroeck, Cobalt Greywalker