Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPGs for pre-Tweens?
RPGs for pre-Tweens?
A coworker has just asked me about good games with which to introduce his under-ten daughter to roleplaying.  (He specifically asked about D&D, but we then expanded into things like Toon and the My Little Pony RPG that's out there.)  And though we did in fact cover a lot of options I told him I would inquire of the community here.  So, does anyone know of any other RPGs suitable for younger children?

Thanks!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: RPGs for pre-Tweens?
MaidRPG and I Want The Hand Of The Protagonist perhaps? Although based more on the harem anime/manga genre it should be easy enough to keep it from getting puerile, and it's very rules lite.
https://www.evilhat.com/home/do-fate-of-...ng-temple/

Do - Fate of the Flying Temple based on one of the Fate variations

Very much a Avatar the Last Airbender feel
Hero Games did a stripped down version of Hero 6 for the PS238 comic...
Thanks, everyone! I'm collating everything that looks good and will hand it off to him shortly.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I'd add d6 Star Wars, since it's apt to be a familiar setting, the mechanics are simple but still allow you to throw a fun handful of dice regularly, and the template-based character generation is also decently easy for an RPG newcomer to get through. Physical copies might be a bit hard to come by this decade, but there's a very nice fan compilation/update by "REUP Team" or something like that, which (for the first time as far as I know) also includes a system for constructing and modifying droids, though I disagree with some elements of it.

(Looks again more closely, notices dates on the old posts) Oh... well... snap. I still think it's a good choice to introduce a newbie to gaming, especially if they aren't necessarily into the swords and sorcery thing. Starting in something with its visuals as strongly ingrained in the culture as Star Wars makes the whole "your imagination is the FX budget" thing an easier step to get past.
Not a problem, CD... I can still pass the recommendation along to my coworker. Thanks!
-- Bob

Hm, checking at the page on d6 Holocron for things made by a not-actually-named-there G+ community there's also a fanmade 3rd edition, though looking at it it's a bit different but I can't say it seems significantly mechanically better than Star Wars REUP 2nd Ed., and that pdf has a considerably nicer layout. Maybe in the handling of falling to the Dark Side, since 3rd doesn't mandate turning the character into an NPC and I can't remember if that's still part of REUP like classic SWd6.
My coworker is still in the market for a good system, and he thanks you for the recommendation, CD!
-- Bob

I know this is older, But Big eyes, small mouth 2nd ed was easy to do and quite fun. I have run many game at cones and we had many kids from 6 years old to older playing and you can do just about any setting. You can do all kinds of setting from a street racing game that we have done to mecha, magical, magical girl, horror, super hero. That was only Rpg we played for about 5 years i think if not longer.