Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treason Season??
RE: Treason Season??
Found the quote I was looking for, in no small part due to Valles (or maybe Acyl? Hard to keep straight with both going at once) using the second verse at the beginning of a recent story post in (one of their) Battletech SI.

Lewis Carroll Wrote:"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
By a finger entwined in his hair.

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it twice:
That alone should encourage the crew.
Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
What I tell you three times is true."
- The Hunting of the Snark, Fit the First : The Landing
In a mature mindset I can see ol Rude just sort of mispeaking. It's pretty much the first thing I thought he was trying to say.

But it's just so delicious a quote.

It seems like the entire motto of the US Government is, Never let facts stand in the way of the truth.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
If truth is beauty, I wouldn't expect much truth from Giuliani.

I'd feel bad about that joke, except that we're so far away from useful arguments that this doesn't even merit a normal response. Still waiting for a verdict in the Manafort trial.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Cohen pleads

Quote:Cohen, 51, surrendered to the FBI, CNN said. He was to appear in federal court in Manhattan at 4 p.m. EDT (2000 GMT) on Tuesday, a court official told Reuters.

Fox News reported that the deal includes three to five years in prison.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

That's two in court now.

It's the early 1970s all over again...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(08-20-2018, 06:50 PM)Labster Wrote: Still waiting for a verdict in the Manafort trial.

Guilty on 8 counts, mistrial on the other 10
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If they manage to get Cohen for campaign finance violations Trump's legal situation just started falling over, instead of looking shakier and shakier.
(08-21-2018, 04:37 PM)hazard Wrote: If they manage to get Cohen for campaign finance violations Trump's legal situation just started falling over, instead of looking shakier and shakier.

What do you mean, "if"? Cohen already plead guilty to campaign finance violations.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oooh... yeah.

That's bad for Trump. Really bad. Depending on the particulars and how much Trump knew that would to my inexpert eye be a fairly solid ground for an article of impeachment.
We can but hope.
--
‎noli esse culus
Cohen's lawyer gave a long spiel on a show last night that pretty much implied that he's got major dirt on Trump and is ready to spill it. I heard a bit of it on the radio as I drove in to work this morning; if I can find the text of it at lunchtime I'll either link to it or copy it over directly. (If someone hasn't already beaten me to it, that is.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Merriam-Webster's "Trending Now" list, as of 4:40pm August 22:

1 mistrial
2 hogwash
3 probity
4 sequacious
5 inadmissible

<sarcasm> Gosh, I wonder why. </sarcasm>
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, sequacious I don't actually know. The others? Yup, I do know.
I like the Oxford Dictionary entry the most, for being clear but concise. Plus, Merriam-Webster discredit themselves by supporting "figuratively" as a definition for "literally."
--
‎noli esse culus
Where did "sequacious" come up? I'm rather proud of the scope of my vocabulary, but that's a (rare) new one for me.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
M-W doesn't give context for its trending list, sorry.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Trump says on FOX that co-operating with prosecutors "should almost be illegal".

Video here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Trump just keeps digging hoping to find Russia, doesn't he?
And Trump apparently is taking the possibility of impeachment far more seriously than just about anyone else right now, because he started publicly grasping for reasons why he shouldn't be. Like, the stock market will crash and everyone will be poor if he's impeached.

The thing is, while it's laughable right now, I'm a bit concerned about the lengths he'll go to when he realizes he can't bully, bribe, ignore or wish away the consequences -- he's always struck me as the kind of guy to break his toys when they stop being fun, and I'm afraid we're going to see at least an attempt at a scorched-earth tactic when he's finally backed into a corner he can't get out of.

Edit: He's already complained that the Constitution is "archaic" and basically in the way of governing the country the way he thinks it should be done. I'm concerned that he's enough of a narcissist to decide that only he can run the country, and the hell with the Justice Department, the Constitution, and anything else in his way, and he'll try to whip his base into a frenzy and try to use them for some kind of coup.
-- Bob

It was only two years ago that it was laughable that he'd get elected. I suggest preparing for the worst.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-23-2018, 11:06 AM)robkelk Wrote: Trump says on FOX that co-operating with prosecutors "should almost be illegal".

A commenter on the Washington Post site using the handle CogitoErgoSum had this to say:

Quote:Let Trump's comments that flipping (turning State's evidence) "almost should be illegal" sink in for a minute. 

If it weren't for terrorists who "flipped" and helped thwart further mayhem perpetrated by their accomplices, countless hundreds or thousands of U.S. soldiers and civilians would be dead.  Among the list of "flippers" that Trump wants to ban would be the person who alerted the USA to Osama bin Laden's whereabouts in Pakistan.  If it weren't for that "rat" (in Trump's terms), Osama bin Laden would still be alive and planning more attacks on the USA.  

If it weren't for a "rat" accountant who flipped, Al Capone, perhaps America's most notorious gangster and murder, would probably not have been caught. 

If “Sammy the Bull” Gravano had not "flipped," the murderous Gambino kingpin John Gotti would still be terrorizing New York. 

History is full of examples of murderers, drug dealers, terrorists and thieves who were brought to justice because one of their associated "flipped" on them. Trump thinks that should be illegal.

Windrip thinks like a criminal, doesn't he?
-----
God made me an agnostic — who are you to question His wisdom?
(08-23-2018, 12:26 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Edit:  He's already complained that the Constitution is "archaic" and basically in the way of governing the country the way he thinks it should be done.  I'm concerned that he's enough of a narcissist to decide that only he can run the country, and the hell with the Justice Department, the Constitution, and anything else in his way, and he'll try to whip his base into a frenzy and try to use them for some kind of coup.

Somebody needs to communicate with the afterlife, and tell Heinlein he got Nehemiah Scudder's name and profession wrong.

<deep sigh>
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
At this point, I'm down to just hoping he can be ousted with ballots, rather than needing to use a couple of other vowels in there. It's a joke that's only funny when it's fictional, like his election itself.
--
‎noli esse culus
To be fair Americans are a little crazy with their Constitution worship, and a few things could stand to be modernized.  Like, say, removing most of the winner-take-all elections with proportional districts, or perhaps electing the president on a popular vote.  When people walk around with US Constitutions in their pocket and the document is the subject of Mormon prophecy, it's a little hard to argue for useful change.

But really, we are in the final days of the Trump Presidency.  The final few witnesses that were only weakly involved are getting immunity deals, which means that most of the investigation's targets have been decided.  We have safes full of documents, phones full of secret recordings, and convictions from high inside the campaign.  Many of these people have committed crimes under New York law, which means that Trump would be unable to pardon them, or himself.  Prosecutors in three different federal jurisdictions are working on cases related to Trump's businesses and campaign.  I can't say how the endgame will go -- Trump doesn't seem like the kind of person who would resign, and this House doesn't look like the kind of people who would vote for impeachment, but anything is possible in politics.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
And a Fifty Kilodollar smoking gun?

A previously unreported payment made by the Trump campaign to an unspecified operator as 'payment for tech services'. One wonders who, and what services were paid for...

On the one hand, probably something remarkably benign. On the other, why be so secretive as to route it through the Trump organisation?