Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Worm Power Quest by JPublic
RE: Worm Power Quest by JPublic
well,she'll need:
A) some sort of stealth ability so she can sneak around to locate the baddies and Panacea (or some sort of remote perception I suppose)
B) a way of taking down the mercs
C) a defensive ability

hmm. How's this sound?
1) a Breaker/changer state where she becomes a living shadow, provides both the stealth and defense, also allows her to slip through small gaps and such
2) a lifeforce detector to let her track down people (bonus if capes like Panacea 'look'/feel different)
3) Stun bolts: energy blasts that render the target unconscious but does no physical damage (no worries about hitting bystanders/hostages)

This is starting to remind me of DC's old Dial H for Heroes comics 8)
(11-28-2017, 01:45 AM)Norgarth Wrote: This is starting to remind me of DC's old Dial H for Heroes comics 8)

I had that same reaction to Chris's comments.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(11-27-2017, 06:33 PM)jpub Wrote: Coil believes his ability is to independently live two separate timelines, and at any point shut one of them down and make the other reality.  He's incorrect.  

What really going on (based on Wildbow's comments) is that at the point of split, his power simulates two timelines, selects the one Coil would choose, and then autopilots his body through the selected timeline while playing back both simulations to Coil's brain.

DOUBLE FACEPALM! ALL THE WAY ACROSS MY HEAD!

My friend David Gerard, author of Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain, said it better than I ever could:

Quote:Worm, like Harry Potter, is an excellent example of the “dear God just please stop talking” theory of death of the author.

That particular Word-of-Wildbow is one of the two best pieces of evidence I've ever seen for that. (I haven't actually seen the other one directly, but in comments on one of the "Glow-worm" parts, I learned of his hints that Taylor's meeting with her mother's Earth-Aleph counterpart in Teneral E.x is just a hallucination she's having as she dies from Contessa shooting her in the head in Speck 30.7.)

Quote:Here’s to more Worm fics that consciously stick to the text and actively ignore the author’s post-publication rationalisations.
No offense, but either way I would have used that interpretation of Coil's power (I came up with something similar myself before finding WB's comments) simply for narrative purposes.  I'm sorry if it bothers you, but I *am* going to use the Worm Wiki extensively, and those sorts of things are in there.

Full disclosure: my version was that Coil's power simply didn't work around higher priority powers, so he *couldn't* split around them, and if he came in their sphere of influence, his power would shut down.  The 'official'interpretation I'm using works better to highlight some points.
Come on everyone, embrace the cheese.

Nick of Time - A thinker power that guides you to where you need to be to do the most heroic possible act 'in just the nick of time'.
In The Name of the Moon - This master power causes anyone listening to you give a heroic speech to stop what they are doing and listen.
Heroic Luck - A breaker power that alters probability to make whatever you do succeed all beyond what you could expect to happen.
You, Epsilon, you're good people.

Edit: that's not too say I'd particularly want to write that, I appreciated the effort though.
1. Quiet: Active noise cancellation. Normal movement is absolutely quiet. Accidental noises canceled out within 3 feet. Note this relies on being able to hear things so normal hearing is unaffected.
2. Kinetic enhancement: Attack power "Touched Object based." Can throw objects/people at up to 100 time expected velocity, based on weight of object, and energy put in to throw. The quicker the object is moved the faster it accelerates.
3. Sure footed, Can walk on "Frictionless" surfaces as if it were a normal floor.
Itsune, can you explain how you see those working? The first and second seem clear enough, I'm not sure I get your intent on the third.
(11-28-2017, 11:16 PM)jpub Wrote: You, Epsilon, you're good people.

Edit: that's not too say I'd particularly want to write that, I appreciated the effort though.

Awww, I was going to back that. Just so we're aware though, does the Chameleon ability break as soon as Taylor is done with 'heroing' or does it last until she gets somewhere 'safe'?
Currently, control is a bit wonky. Eventually, it'll get to a point where she can simply decide to transform back at will.
Ah, the curse of new powers. No idea how to control them.

For now, Norgarth has my vote.
Just a thought: Maybe an index of powers should be maintained. You know, so that we have a means of referring back to powers that we think were particularly helpful. Maybe even have a sort of 'favorites playlist'.
List of Known Powersets
If the Lord and Author doesn't mind:

List of powersets:

Set One:
1: Adaptive immunity to Poison/Disease
2: Low level body hardening (enough not to be damaged excessively by punching out the door)
3: Improved physical strength

Chameleon Name/Appearance: (Unknown)

First Appearance: Taylor wakes up in a locker

Set Two:
1) Body Enhancement: Minor enhancements to strength, durability
2) Skill Enhancement: Close-Quarters Combat mastery
3) Body Enhancement: Minor Regeneration and pain tolerance.

Chameleon Name/Appearance: (Club Med Military Pin-up Girl.)  Gray-Green tank top, enhanced bustline. Faded and ripped camo pattern cargo pants, pockets intact. Combat boots, grey with pants tucked in.  Padded fingeless gloves with tape around the wrist. Dark, expressive eyes, larger-than-average perfect nose. Dark and full lips, high and rounded cheeks. Rich, curly dark hair. Mediterranean skin tone.

First Appearance: Taylor wakes up in the hospital
On Cooldown: Adaptive immunity to Poison/Disease, Skill Enhancement: Close-Quarters Combat mastery
(11-29-2017, 07:39 AM)jpub Wrote: Itsune, can you explain how you see those working?  The first and second seem clear enough, I'm not sure I get your intent on the third.
She's in a hospital about to play "Ninja"
1. Means she can sneak around quietly of course.
2. means she can throw conveniently place objects, or shove some one away hard.
3. she's in a hospital, and doesn't know where her shoes are. Hard tiled floors are easily rendered nearly friction-less, by the Ubiquitous Yellow Bucket on wheels...
(11-29-2017, 06:39 PM)hazard Wrote: On Cooldown: Adaptive immunity to Poison/Disease, Skill Enhancement: Close-Quarters Combat mastery

Incorrect.

The adaptive immunity is off cooldown.  Regeneration and CQCM are currently unavailable.  Sorry for not making that clearer.
Are the powers actually bound in sets or can they be mix-and-match? I thought they can be mixed up however we like, more or less.
As I understand, we can mix and match as we like. I just started compiling the sets we have picked.
Sets will only really be important if y'all come up with some truly impressive combinations that resonate with me creatively. I'll let you know if that happens.
Do we have a consensus? I'm not seeing a clear winner.
Um, by my count it is:

Norgarth's Plan:
Norgarth
Nite

Itsune9tl's plan
Itsune9tl

Epsilon's Plan
Epsilon
Nite
I'll throw my vote at Norgarth's plan as well.

To be honest, I've been a little stumped on what power selection would be best, hence why I didn't vote earlier.
Cool. Norgarth's plan it is then. It'll be a while, I'm pretty busy due having to prep at work for the Christmas shutdown.
Just a quick note (sorry to get your hopes up) to let you all no know I'm working, but thanks to a co worker having a heart attack my plans have gone out the window, since I'm trying to help him and his family cope. I'll get something up as soon as I get a chance to write something.
Take all the time you need. Life comes first.