Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thou Shalt Not...
Thou Shalt Not...
So, Roy "Ten Commandments Judge" Moore has been accused of molesting at least one underage girl.  I don't possess sufficient confirmed information to make a judgment on whether the charge is true.  But the reaction from Republican officials in Alabama is appalling enough for any civilized human being ... which apparently excludes Alabama Republicans.

I was particularly fascinated by the statement from Alabama State Auditor Jim Zeigler, 

Quote:who dismissed the allegations by saying that there was also an age gap between the biblical Joseph and Mary. “Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus,” he told The Washington Examiner. “There’s just nothing immoral or illegal here. Maybe just a little bit unusual.”

Or try this:

Quote:The chairman of the Bibb County Republican Party, Jerry Pow, said that he’d vote for Moore even if it was proved he committed a sex crime against an underage girl. 

Ye gods, Alabama!

Edit:  In a comment to another article about this obscenity, a reader identifying as mark a. thomas [yes; all lower case] wrote:  

Quote:So, you think a little thing like this is going to stop Alabamans from electing Moore? MAGA: Molesting Alabama's girls -- attaboy!
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
RE: Thou Shalt Not...
I saw one comment from an Alabama Republican that went "well, if you vote for the other guy, you'd be voting for a Democrat." Because apparently, to this asshole, Democrats are more evil than pedophiles. Good Lord...
(11-10-2017, 01:07 PM)DHBirr Wrote: So, Roy "Ten Commandments Judge" Moore has been accused of molesting at least one underage girl.
Well, the guy has always calimed that the Ten Commandments are the basis for all laws. There is no Commandment against sex with underage girls. Therefore...
Also, Doug Jones prosecuted KKK members who murdered four black girls in a church bombing. It is a race between a man who convicted racist murderers, and a pedophile. HOW IS THIS A HARD CHOICE ALABAMA?!
Johnny Rebs see prosecuting racist murderers as a point AGAINST Jones.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
It seems the Alabama GOP is, among other things, trying to delay the election in order to replace Moore or at least let the heat die down a little:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/us/po...lican.html

Quote:Republican senators and their advisers, in a flurry of phone calls, emails and text messages, discussed fielding a write-in candidate, pushing Alabama’s governor to delay the Dec. 12 special election or even not seating Mr. Moore at all should he be elected. In an interview, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader, declined to say whether he would agree to seat Mr. Moore should he win. Mr. McConnell deferred a question about a possible write-in campaign by Senator Luther Strange, the current occupant of the seat, to Mr. Strange.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(11-10-2017, 07:13 PM)nemonowan Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 01:07 PM)DHBirr Wrote: So, Roy "Ten Commandments Judge" Moore has been accused of molesting at least one underage girl.
Well, the guy has always calimed that the Ten Commandments are the basis for all laws. There is no Commandment against sex with underage girls. Therefore...

Yes, there is:
“Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s house; thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor’s.”
Exodus 20:17 (KJV)

Maybe Moore only read the first nine commandments.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
[quote pid='167334' dateline='1510456697']
Yes, there is:
“Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s house; thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor’s.”
Exodus 20:17 (KJV)

Maybe Moore only read the first nine commandments.
[/quote]

That one is usually interpreted to be about greed, as far as I know.
But even if you want to take it literally, it doesn't specifically mention underage girls. Unless you consider them the property of the putative neighbor and include them in the "anything". But even then he would be just "borrowing" her.
The sixth one, against adultery, would be more applicable insofar as it has been extended to any sex outside marriage. But here again, age would be irrelevant.
Someone on my Twitter feed wondered how these people would react if Fred Rogers was alive and expressing his disappointment in them.

My reply:

"You assume they have a semblance of shame. The words of Welch to McCarthy would ring hollow in their ears and hearts."
Dear gods, Alabama.  We now have a defense of Moore, offered in an interview on CNN no less, that manages to be even more revolting than any of the previous ones.  Not only shouldn't Moore be elected to the Senate, but his state's entire population needs to be neutered so they won't reproduce.

God made me an agnostic — who are you to question His wisdom?
... No shame at all. And behold, the morals of 'True Christians'! God, I feel sick just thinking about it.
Fortunately, it's not all Republicans -- it does seem like a majority are disgusted and appalled by the fanatic wing who will excuse any crime committed by their favored candidate.

I'd just like to see, though, a Republican troll introduce a bill retroactively decriminalizing pedophilia into the Alabama state legislature for the explicit purpose of getting Moore off the hook, just to see who'll bite... The only problem with that is, of course, that it might actually pass.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
How obvious you have to be to be banned from a mall?
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk...dsden-mall
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Awwww, poor Roy Moore is having trouble with legal fees regarding the molestation accusations, so he's begging people to send him money.  Schadenfreude

I'm considering sending him one of those checks for "Thoughts and Prayers."  Except that I cringe at the idea of being perceived as communicating with someone so loathsome.
-----
I'm not sure I want that campaign to keep running or not.

I mean, on the one side, if Roy Moore runs out of money he's likely to end up in jail on account of not being able to pay the court's mandated fines (that is, paying the accusing party's legal fees). On the other, 100 000 dollars isn't a lot in political funds on the national level, or even the state, but it's not an insignificant sum that will likely be drawn from the general population who would otherwise fund other far right candidates. It's just one more drain on their resources.

Also, Moore is scum, but that's nothing new.