Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Upgrade
Forum Upgrade
Why are we doing upgrades? What's wrong with using hopelessly out of date software, like EPU does?

Actually, there is an update for the EPU boards, released something like 20 years ago.  I'm a professional Perl programmer, and that DCForum software I tracked down is scary, man.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
RE: Forum Upgrade
Taking the facetious question seriously for a moment, there's something like 60 or 70 individual issues fixed in the upgrade, including a goodly handful of security issues.

I haven't gone through the entire list yet, but with luck a couple things on my To-Do list might be resolved for me.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The problem with the EPU forums is that no one is quite sure how to transfer it to anyone else's database, so and we don't want to go losing everything in it.

The question becomes what to go with, then get a network blacksmith to forge a convertor, which is going to be problematic in the short run.
As a professional programmer, I'm not really sure what a "network blacksmith" is, but like, this is a programmer job, not a sysadmin one. I've done a few conversions between software formats before, and I'd be happy to do it for EPU. Heck, this time would be easy, because I'd have access to the original software and access to the raw data. And I'd get to entirely skip the step where I try to hide my bot from the Powers That Be.

Browsing but not yet running the DCForum code, it looks like the "database" is just pipe-delimited flat files? I can't imagine why threads break. Er, I meant to say: that sounds easy to parse.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Okay, this time for real. At some point this weekend I'll be doing the forum upgrade. Please be aware that I'll have to shut the boards down completely for the duration of the process, so if you try to access them at some point and are refused, that's what's happening. However, I don't think it's really going to take very long, so it shouldn't be a big problem for anyone.

Oh, and Brent, when I finish with that, I'll change the encoding on the message text field in the posts table.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Okay...

But who has to go out to the emergency generator to cycle the power?

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Not that it's particularly relevant to the upgrade itself, but is there a reason the announcement on the forum home page remains dated November 14 no matter what it says?
Quirk of the Announcement plug-in. That's the date of the original announcement, which I've simply edited and re-edited over the weeks. Easy enough to fix.
-- Bob

And it's done. Despite the intimidating size of the upgrade instructions, it turned out to be relatively simple. Yay.
-- Bob

(01-28-2018, 11:09 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And it's done.  Despite the intimidating size of the upgrade instructions, it turned out to be relatively simple.  Yay.

Yay!

Hey, the edit box is white now... (at least it is on my system)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I dont see any change. Maybe its something in your color scheme? I've been using San Felix since we left... those people.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Color scheme, browser, OS - how they interact can be arcane at times.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(01-29-2018, 12:28 AM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: I dont see any change.  Maybe its something in your color scheme?  I've been using San Felix since we left... those people.

I also use San Felix. AFAICT, just using the quick reply box gives slightly improved contrast with the background, but using the New Reply button or replying to a specific post brings up a white edit box.
Which is odd, because I've always gotten a white edit box on New Reply (and New Thread) in San Felix.
-- Bob