Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It was 100 years ago today...
It was 100 years ago today...
... that Halifax exploded. It's still the largest non-nuclear explosion on record anywhere.

CBC has colourized some photos of the aftermath:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scoti...-1.4435266
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: It was 100 years ago today...
WOAH. That looks like a big enough boom even for Jamie Hynaman!
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
It was a WWI munitions ship, fully loaded, that caught fire after it collided with another ship in the straits leading to Halifax harbour (going by memory)
2.9 kilotons. Wow.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
CBC decided to ask "what if it happened today, in a different port?"

Six big booms
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Would depend on the port, but nothing good I would say
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Definitely nothing good.

Showing the same size explosion at some US ports (usually avoiding military ports for obvious reasons):
I think the lesson here is "don't ship explosives by ship."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
They actually have a website where people could see the detonation strength of nuclear warheads. Yeah...!
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
Those are just the explosion effects of the blast itself.

Knowing those west coast ports, I can see at least ONE place where there would be siginificant secondary detonations from this event. I can also see why Rob was very carefull about this, as there are also locations that are very close but looking at them might freak out the 'Powers that Be' that someone is planning something... Not GOOD (tm)

And yet, shipping them by ship is STILL the safest way to move them.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
(12-28-2017, 10:10 AM)Pyeknu Wrote: They actually have a website where people could see the detonation strength of nuclear warheads.  Yeah...!

Yep - very handy if you're setting up a game of The Morrow Project.

(For fun, I asked it to show me what would happen if a Tsar Bomba was detonated above the Peace Tower in Ottawa. The blast radius crossed the US border.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-28-2017, 11:01 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 10:10 AM)Pyeknu Wrote: They actually have a website where people could see the detonation strength of nuclear warheads.  Yeah...!

Yep - very handy if you're setting up a game of The Morrow Project.

John "Skitz" Freiler could have used it back in the 80s when he set up his Morrow Project campaign -- instead he had to do everything by hand.

And while we're on the topic... New Brunswick, down the road from us, used to be a port long ago...  If it were still one, and, well, you know..
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....