Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF, Firefox?
WTF, Firefox?
Was there an update pushed overnight (on Ubuntu/XFCE, without requiring me to use the usual interface gadget and agree to it) or something? 'Fox suddenly wants another gigabite of RAM, which means it takes about half an hour to load a page because that does not exist and shoving everything into the page swap apparently clogs the works like nothing else. I didn't open any new pages and my ad-blocking is set to "maximum hostility even if it means content doesn't load correctly" and it is, as noted, aLinux ssytem, so viral shenanigans seem unlikely (also, it's ONLY a problem in 'fox, I'm using Chrome for this just fine but I hate the way Chrome takes away most of the interface I'm used to)
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: WTF, Firefox?
(12-07-2017, 12:46 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Was there an update pushed overnight (on Ubuntu/XFCE, without requiring me to use the usual interface gadget and agree to it) or something? 'Fox suddenly wants another gigabite of RAM, which means it takes about half an hour to load a page because that does not exist and shoving everything into the page swap apparently clogs the works like nothing else. I didn't open any new pages and my ad-blocking is set to "maximum hostility even if it means content doesn't load correctly" and it is, as noted, aLinux ssytem, so viral shenanigans seem unlikely (also, it's ONLY a problem in 'fox, I'm using Chrome for this just fine but I hate the way Chrome takes away most of the interface I'm used to)

After updating to 57, I found it had deactivated all my addons and the system had changed enough to be unusable. I suspect part of this was that I'd installed one to restore the classic theme after the last time they decided to change everything on me. I managed to reinstall 56, though.
I didn't update to 57 in the first place, precisely for that reason. Sometime between 10-11 PM last night, things still went citronella shaped...
Looks like I'll probably switch to Waterfox, which uses the old estension architecture and is compiled to tke dvntge of 64-bit systems, long with the key feture of not hving suddenly decided to choke my decade-old, second hand laptop. It also imports the Firefox profile and bookmarks etc. by defult, making switch less of a daunting prospect. The process of putting all my open tabs into bookmarks so they can be reopened is going to be a dwarfy good time, though... XP
(12-07-2017, 10:00 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Looks like I'll probably switch to Waterfox, which uses the old estension architecture and is compiled to tke dvntge of 64-bit systems, long with the key feture of not hving suddenly decided to choke my decade-old, second hand laptop. It also imports the Firefox profile and bookmarks etc. by defult, making  switch less of a daunting prospect. The process of putting all my open tabs into bookmarks so they can be reopened is going to be a dwarfy good time, though... XP

Not familiar with that browser. Got a link? I'm annoyed with FF v. 57 myself.
(12-07-2017, 10:00 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Looks like I'll probably switch to Waterfox, which uses the old estension architecture and is compiled to tke dvntge of 64-bit systems, long with the key feture of not hving suddenly decided to choke my decade-old, second hand laptop. It also imports the Firefox profile and bookmarks etc. by defult, making  switch less of a daunting prospect. The process of putting all my open tabs into bookmarks so they can be reopened is going to be a dwarfy good time, though... XP

Speaking as somebody who maintains ~100 tabs across three windows, it's not as hard as you think.  Bookmark All Tabs is really helpful; it automatically makes a folder with bookmarks of all tabs in a window.

One BAT per window, import all the bookmarks, make your windows, Open All in Tabs on each folder... done!

(My personal Firefox 57 horror story?  Frequent graphics driver crashes!)
(12-07-2017, 10:29 PM)Inquisitive Raven Wrote: Not familiar with that browser. Got a link? I'm annoyed with FF v. 57 myself.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Basically, it's a 64-bit fork of Firefox, whose maintainer decided not to go with the new extension architecture. Everything is the same from a user perspective, except that the things that were recently broken by the update aren't, and the icon is blue.
(12-08-2017, 03:50 AM)classicdrogn Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 10:29 PM)Inquisitive Raven Wrote: Not familiar with that browser. Got a link? I'm annoyed with FF v. 57 myself.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Basically, it's a 64-bit fork of Firefox, whose maintainer decided not to go with the new extension architecture. Everything is the same from a user perspective, except that the things that were recently broken by the update aren't, and the icon is blue.

Interesting. Is there a Windows-10 compatible version?
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
'Doze, Slackintosh, *nix, and 'Droid. Really, just follow the link, the site is simple and clean.
Alas, my laptop isn't powerful enough to run a 64-bit OS. Is there a similar 32-bit alternative out there anywhere?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Don't know of any, Rob. Sorry.
(12-08-2017, 12:01 PM)robkelk Wrote: Alas, my laptop isn't powerful enough to run a 64-bit OS. Is there a similar 32-bit alternative out there anywhere?
Have you checked out the ESR version?
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Kilroy