Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 more dirty words...
7 more dirty words...
CDC gets list of forbidden words...

The CDC is now forbidden from using the following words in official documents.  The forbidden words are “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

Really... the CDC is now forbidden from using "Science-based" in official documents.  I'm in medical research and WTF?!?!

*Shakes head*  I just... *sigh*
RE: 7 more dirty words...
If Trump doesn't get evicted next election, or earlier, the US is going to take a heavy hit to its technology lead.
"Going to"? We were already taking a hit to our technological lead even before this.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Yes, but right now?

Right now a lot of the academics are thinking "we're up for four hard, lean years, but after that it'll get better. We can survive this, if not easily."

If Trump gets reelected, or someone else with a similar anti intellectual bent takes control there's going to be a massive brain drain. Hopefully towards Europe, but I'm expecting there'll be a diaspora towards Europe, India and Japan while China and Russia try to get a cut of the pie. And China and Russia do have a lot of money to toss at academics to convince them to join up.
Please don't tell me that nobody saw this coming.

Scientific American, December 20, 2016: Canadian Scientists Warn U.S. Colleagues: Act Now to Protect Science under Trump
Back up data and speak out ahead of next month’s inauguration, they advise

The Guardian, January 27, 2017: Canadian scientists offer support to muzzled US counterparts

(12-16-2017, 02:36 PM)hazard Wrote: Yes, but right now?

Right now a lot of the academics are thinking "we're up for four hard, lean years, but after that it'll get better. We can survive this, if not easily."

If Trump gets reelected, or someone else with a similar anti intellectual bent takes control there's going to be a massive brain drain. Hopefully towards Europe, but I'm expecting there'll be a diaspora towards Europe, India and Japan while China and Russia try to get a cut of the pie. And China and Russia do have a lot of money to toss at academics to convince them to join up.

What do you mean, "if" and "going to be"?

Associated Press, December 11, 2017: Macron awards US scientists grants to move to France in defiance of Trump
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(12-16-2017, 03:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: What do you mean, "if" and "going to be"?

Associated Press, December 11, 2017: Macron awards US scientists grants to move to France in defiance of Trump

I mean that, right now, many academics are thinking 'we can last four years if we have to, and we live here because we decided to live here.' They're not going to give up on America that easily, that soon, although it's certainly tempting.

I mean that the vast majority of the scientists aren't going to leave just because this one president and his administration are a bunch of anti knowledge dicks. Because generally speaking the US has been very good to its scientists, and they're banking on that history.

There are going to be some leaving, sure, but most of them are going to stay because right where they are they've got plenty of facilities, money and connections to continue their research, and moving somewhere else means expending effort in rebuilding all of that. Effort they do not necessarily have to expend if they stay in the US and start economizing on their research, tighten the belt while the lean years pass.

Should the next presidential election not get them the expected rebound and reinvestment in science they're going to pack their bags and leave, because they are no longer as welcome as they are pretty much anywhere else. And America will have squandered its R&D sector.
(12-15-2017, 11:48 PM)RMH999 Wrote: The CDC is now forbidden from using the following words in official documents.

Or maybe not..

-Morgan.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.
(12-17-2017, 11:48 PM)Morganite Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 11:48 PM)RMH999 Wrote: The CDC is now forbidden from using the following words in official documents.

Or maybe not..

-Morgan.

Good to hear.

It's still a good idea to make off-site backups of your data - and, in this case, "off-site" means "out of the country".
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown