Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you are a Game Master...
If you are a Game Master...
...read and take to heart aurilee's comments on this strip.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: If you are a Game Master...
I have played with a couple of very, very intelligent and (perhaps more important) witty GMs, and from them learned some important things:

1) Learn to wing it, and think on your feet (if you can't stay on your feet at "full scale", scale down)
2) Play it down if it honestly doesn't matter (if you're feeling evil, ask them if they'd like to roll for how many rounds they'll need to take "to work that out" while the explosion keeps coming at them.)
3) Never randomize the world, randomize the success or failure of actions

Related to K-2SO4's response, when my wife asks, "do you like option A or option B?" My answer is always "Yes".
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Being told to be 'open minded' about something is usually a code for 'you're not going to like this, but I want to subject you to it anyway'. Conversely, being told that you are 'closed-minded' is generally a means of asserting that 'I don't like the fact that you're proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my argument is a philosophical deficiency'." - RationalWiki