Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More typoes
More typoes
In a few chapters, and the concordance, there's the word "romanji", which is an incorrect spelling of "romaji".  I used to spell it that way too, because it's the kind of word you learn early when dealing with Japanese and accidentally apply English morphology rules to it.  Japanese would rather just throw the nouns together in a compound than make an adjective form.
In Chapter 5, you have "Fire bees".  That should either be "obscured FireBees and buildings" or the more amusing "obscured fire, bees, and buildings"
And just a comment on Chapter 4:
Quote:Yelena Brzezinski. She'd been 25.

A singer and dancer who'd just received her first big break by
getting cast in a production on MegaTokyo's equivalent of
Broadway. It was a revival of a musical that I'd never heard of,
first produced twenty years earlier in 2016. She'd gone to the
Replicants concert with her boyfriend to celebrate getting the
part. The boyfriend was in the hospital, in serious condition
but expected to make it.
She was just cast in Hamilton and was violently killed before her time.  Now that's irony.
Reread has been very fun so far, thanks again for writing!
-- ∇×V

And finished again.  Whew!  It was just the kind of thing I needed to improve my mood.
I think I saw every variant of /fire ?bees?/i there was in the text and concordance, just pick one and stick with it?
Concordance Wrote:Double that to give him room for expansion for an
amazingly huge 40 gigabytes.

Like I said, laugh at me.
Ahahahahaha.  The sad part here is that we now have with stock parts with a 256GB iPhone, although, to be fair, Doug's helmet does have a headphone jack.  Moore's Law is brutal, even if it does seem to be slowing down.  If we assume a doubling every 4 years, we still get another 6 doublings by 2040, or a 16TB GENOM iPhone.  1PB isn't out of the range of possibility, either.  Though I'm not entirely sure I'd want memristors near Doug's field, if that's the way the tech goes.
HARUSPEX - that's basically what AI/machine learning/big data is starting to do today.  I think this prediction will turn out to be pretty good.
Quote:For more information on Papillon Rose, (in English, at least)
you can look here or
here. Beware! Not Safe
For Work!
Uh... I can't read German.  Or DNS errors, for that matter.
Quote:"Holy... that looks kinda like a tropical depression
forming." ... "Just like that freak twister..." ... a monstrous
black funnel cloud

Okay, let me say flat out — I know that a tropical depression/hurricane
is a different beastie, mechanically and visually, from a twister.
But this is a magically-created and magically-maintained storm,
responding to Doug's subconscious mind, and it doesn't have to work
or look like its natural counterparts.
I think the word that best describes what he did here is mesocyclone, which is quite real.  Although if you mess with the fluid dynamics with a little magic, it's definitely possible to get other forms.  We know so little about atmospheric dynamics on other planets, but they're very different from Earth.
Quote:I did the same, taking the moment to consider my answer as I
dried my hands on the towel hung from a ring by the sink. "I'm
thinking that maybe he and I were analogues -- different
expressions of the same potential, the same person. I could have
been him, and he could have been me, had events followed other
courses in both our worlds."

She shuddered. "That's disturbing."

"Yeah," I said. "It is, isn't it?"
In retrospect this is perhaps the most postmodern thing I've ever read.  A person writing about their character who roleplayed as another character who the original writer roleplayed, questioning if the first character and second character were actually the same person.  And by extension asking if the writer is a hero, villain, or both.  And at this point, even the copyright notices start to look like part of the story as "real" names and character names blur together into a fourth wall gestalt, even as the fictional creation killed the creator, who is also fictional.  Am I even real?  And if I'm fictional, why am I so boring most of the time?  Oh God, am I a self-insert?!
-- ∇×V

Brent, thanks for all the stuff you've caught. If I get a chance today or tonight, I'll fix/update what you've found.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

...And after a little research, as far as I can determine there is no standard rendering of "FireBee/Fire Bee/Fire-Bee". To complicate matters, I cannot find my copy of the BGC roleplaying game, whose usage I would default to in this case. Grrr.
In regards to Doug's helmet and its storage capacity, I have been entertaining the notion that he has it completely rebuilt somewhere along the line that has a higher tech level than Warriors' World -- possibly the Shadowrun world he visits between Steps 10 and 11.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:...
In regards to Doug's helmet and its storage capacity, I have been entertaining the notion that he has it completely rebuilt somewhere along the line that has a higher tech level than Warriors' World -- possibly the Shadowrun world he visits between Steps 10 and 11.
If you're going to wait that long, I suspect Eimi would have a few suggestions for the re-design.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Fenspace takes place in the same "in between" zone, so I've been considering having his helmet simply handwaved while he's there. Would be quicker and simpler, but might have unwanted consequences/side effects that I would have to back-fill into DW13-1.

Oh, and I got further info on the "firebee" issue. Apparently the B-Club says "Fire Bee" (????·??, two words), while the RPG says "Fire-Bee". I'm going to have to pick one (and probably not Bert Van Vliet's choice, "skeet" ).
-- Bob
---------

"So, should I just coat my helmet with this wondergoop of yours, Noah?"
"Well, Doug, that depends on whether you want it to develop a mind of its own. If I were you, I'd grab some 64GB SDMC cards and install those instead - they're lightweight, small, solid-state, and most importantly completely hardtech."
"Where can I get those?"
"I have a box-full here. Help yourself."
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah, hardtech all the way. At least it has a chance of backward/sideways compatibility with his existing hardware, and even better it can be analyzed when he gets home.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Yeah, hardtech all the way. At least it has a chance of backward/sideways compatibility with his existing hardware, and even better it can be analyzed when he gets home.
Not to mention no chance of contaminating any other technology.  I really don't like what I hear about the way this handwavium spreads....  Virus!
"Upon this your examination, I, by virtue of my office as a called and ordained Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus, announce the Damnation of the Emperor upon all of you, and in the stead and by the command of His Divine Majesty, I sentence you to death....."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Well, anything I can do to get more tech for Doug to take back home.
I suppose he could take home some disks from the Hyperdimension Neptunia nanostep I wrote (blame GethN7 for that), but the largest memory upgrade I've gotten in that game is 1024 Megamibytes.   I'd write more on it, but I'm not really sure what Neptunia goddesses/CPUs would be in terms of DW cosmology -- maybe whatever sailor senshi are?
-- ∇×V

vorticity Wrote:Well, anything I can do to get more tech for Doug to take back home.
Which jogs my memory - Eimi doesn't have the tech background (at the start of her travels) to understand the documents, but she has everything Noah thought would come in handy for building his station, including NASA's specs for a Stanford torus. I expect by DWXIII that Doug's taught Eimi everything he knows about engineering, because "empty world #20 and we're bored."
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:but the largest memory upgrade I've gotten in that game is 1024 Megamibytes.
What's that in megapulses?
-- Bob
---------

It's probably more than the average Cyberpunk2020 laptop, at least.

Can you estimate it in kiloquads?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Twice is coincidence.  Three times is a trope.
-- ∇×V

I'm sure we have that somewhere already...

Dammit, now I have to go look.
Edit:   We do.  Fantastic Measurement System.
-- Bob
---------
RE: More typoes
As a minor addendum to the original topic here, in the early chapters you seemed to use "celphone", in the later chapters "cellphone", and in the last couple chapters there's a few "cell phone" too.

The funny thing here is that with 2020 hindsight, the word we would actually use in the future is "phone", and "landline" refers to the types previously named "phone". But that isn't exotic at all to readers in 2000, and might confuse them! And "vidphones" are "zoom" now, in a way I never would have expected.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
What you're seeing there is, as best as i can recall, the evolution of usage as I experienced it. And Doug should really stick with the usage circa 1998...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Typo in Chapter 15
"Augsut" should be "August"
Thanks, and thanks for the email on it. I'll fix this after work today, if I have time.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....