Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silly Idea
Silly Idea
This one is so silly that I'm not seriously considering it; if I were, I'd only share it with my prereaders.
Those of you who have actually seen Kodocha will know that many of the characters are aware that they are in an anime: Sana runs into the leader of the band that does the theme song and thanks him for doing a good job, and Babbit frequently makes comments about the show being an anime, as do other characters from time to time.
So the silly idea is something along these lines -- Doug drops right into the "family". Someone makes one of the semi-standard comments about this being only an anime. Doug laughs it off. Meanwhile, in a small infinity of universes, all copies of Kodomo no Omocha are retroactively revised to include an anime version of Doug...
Not a big thing, and probably not even funny except to me. But it was a cute idea.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Silly Idea
Now, what would be amusing, would be if, three or four Steps further down the road, Doug came across one of those copies, and watched it, and had a great WTF??? moment.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Re: Silly Idea
I've got a scene very much like that plotted into DW10 already.
There are, of course, two examples of this kind of situation and reaction that I hope to match or exceed:
1) The Knight Sabers watching Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crash! in Mark Latus' Bad Moon Rising. (Sample: Mackie, reporting to Sylia after watching Crash!: "Sis, it's terrible! I don't even get five minutes of screen time. I'm hardly in it!")
and
2) Gregg "Metroanime" Sharp's Reluctant Bet, wherein the cast of Ranma 1/2 is exposed to videotape after videotape of various other Ranma fanfictions, in the form of other universes' Ranma "canon". (Example: Ukyo going through boxes of kleenex while watching Zen's "Long and Winding Road".)
If I can write that kind of scene half as well, I'll be happy.

-- Bob
---------
selfawareness
Quote:
... anime: Sana runs into the leader of the band that does the theme song and thanks him for doing a good job ...

What if he meets the author of the series and and is asked what the whatever he is doing in there since he (the author) didn't write him ...?
As for
Quote:
... all copies of Kodomo no Omocha are retroactively revised to include an anime version of Doug ...
-- does a falling tree make a sound if no-one listens? ;-) Nevertheless the idea is cute ... He may stumble on some later episodes in some other world and find that his anime self is still with the cast. Imagine reading something like on about yourself :-)
-- Cal
Re: selfawareness
Quote:
What if he meets the author of the series and and is asked what the whatever he is doing in there since he (the author) didn't write him ...?
Oh, that's right. Miho Obana is in almost every episode somewhere. But I don't think she ever gets to say anything more than her name or the Japanese equivalent of "Uh..."
Quote:
He may stumble on some later episodes in some other world and find that his anime self is still with the cast.
Talk about your existential quandaries...
Actually, that opens up a huge can of worms if you think about it right. In a multiverse with a theoretically infinite number of timelines, there should be an infinity of Dougs jumping around from world to world... Imagine if they all homed in on the same world at once...
-- Bob
---------
Multiple-Doug convergence
The idea of multiple Dougs converging on a universe creates some interesting dialogue and situation possibilities. It also makes for some fun "which Doug is which" humor. Oh, no, "Attack of the Clones" Doug style!
[Image: roll.gif]
Re: Multiple-Doug convergence
The book _All These Earths_ by F. M. Busby consists of four stories involving an FTL drive which, at the higher "Skip Factors," has a chance of "Drifting" the starship into an alternate universe -- with very little (make that *extremely* little) chance of ever returning to the original.
In the first story, one universe finds this out when two versions of a starship arrive at the same starport. One of them belongs there -- it _didn't_ Drift. The two essentially identical captains meet (after the situation has been explained to them), look at each other, and one says, "Do you suppose our wife will agree that you can't have too much of a good thing?"
DHBirr
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Quote:
Actually, that opens up a huge can of worms if you think about it right. In a multiverse with a theoretically infinite number of timelines, there should be an infinity of Dougs jumping around from world to world... Imagine if they all homed in on the same world at once...
Now, here I'm seeing one of those scenes where dozens of Daffy Ducks are bouncing around the set hooting, his bewildered antagonist standing in the middle looking gobsmacked - except more humanoid, in grey biker leathers and a slightly odd helmet.
- CD
What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?

SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
You know, there's something bizarrely appealing about that image... although I doubt any of the other Warriors would agree with me.

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
now here's my question
would doug SEE babbit?
-murmur
"Today's Sana-chan!"
"Huh, that's a pretty good photo, small albino rabbit bat thing."
Re: now here's my question
Oh, Doug can and will see Babbit. I have notes for a scene where he grabs Babbit and starts interrogating him.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03