Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Porcelain Monkey"
"Porcelain Monkey"
A Warren Zevon song, apparently about Elvis....
Chorus: "He threw it away for a porcelain monkey,
Gave it all up for a figurine,
Traded it in for a night in Las Vegas,
And his face on ve-e-e-lveteen"
Possible effect: Doug is able to convince his victim to make a trade/sign a contract disadvantageous to said victim.
Or he could just use it as an object lesson for Sana on how not to react to fame.
Re: "Porcelain Monkey"
How not to react to fame? I think fame and Sana are in a symbiotic relationship.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.
Speaking of Fame and Contracts
I thought of a cool and GM acceptable way to use "Money for Nothing"...
To work, it has to be used in public, preferably in front of a crowd, but only on the internal speakers. For the duration of the song, Doug has an electric guitar and outfit similar to something Mark Knoppfler would wear. At any time that Knoppfler is playing and/or singing, Doug is compelled to play and/or sing, which he amazingly has the talent to do. When the song is over (and he has to let it _finish_), a certified check/credstick/beer keg/whatever the local currency supports appears in his back pocket (or at his feet if it's too big to fit, like a bag of gold) for whatever the prefailing local rate is for a superstar to play a concert.
During the song, Doug is able to turn it off - but doing so forfeits not only the earnings, but any cash or other local currency on him (credit cards, gems, whatever is local at the time) also disappears to appease the breach of contract Smile
It's not infinite money (it might not be much at all depending on local custom), and he does have to work for it, at least a little bit. And there is a penalty clause Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Re: Speaking of Fame and Contracts
That's certainly better than the lame "animate contents of appliance store and have them attack boomer" I came up with back during the early days of writing DW2...

-- Bob
---------
That depends on how you were defining "animate" Smile
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Imagine a flying microwave clamping down on a boomer's head like it was the mouth of an alligator.
Like I said, lame.

-- Bob
---------
or maybe said microwave maximises into a transformer and proceeds to bash the boomer in..... nononono lame -_-U
Quote:
Imagine a flying microwave clamping down on a boomer's head like it was the mouth of an alligator.
Like I said, lame.
Not so, every line of the chorus is in plural.
Imagine said boomer being swarmed by evey refrigerator, color T.V., and microwave oven with in 300 feet of Doug.
We've got to move these, refrigerators
We've got to move these, color T.V's
We've got to install microwave ovens
Custom Kitchen Deliveries!
That's The way you do it!
Quote:
Not so, every line of the chorus is in plural.
Oh yeah, the original word-sketch of the scene had the entire contents of an appliance store marching out and dogpiling the boomer -- a fridge freezing an arm, for instance. I just figured it was easier to describe one part to get across the essential lameness.

-- Bob
---------
A song that Doug wants to avoid playing to the end is "25 Minutes to Go" (off "Johnny Cash Sings Songs of the Real West"). It's the story of a condemned prisoner counting down the minutes before he's hung, with each line ending with one less minute to go.
Suggested effect: While the song is playing, time is distorted for Doug such that twenty-five minutes pass for him in the three or four minutes the song lasts. Effectively, a form of super-speed. The catch is that if you allow the time to run out...well, Doug's never found out, but he thinks it might be bad.
Oh, and one for sparking metagifts: "Superpowers" by Ookla the Mok, off their "Super Secrets" album. It's basically a recitation of various superhero origins.....
SKJAM!

While the Effect is moot at this point.  Having a song that has the potentiall to "Grab" a large number relatively heavy Objects, and kineticly Accelerate while within AOE for an artilery strike is not a lame power.  This is if you remember to allow for Newtons three laws of Physical Motion. At the very least you can help some one move their kitchen Off of a truck.

Either way, it's useful...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The Other Question is "Why isn't this thread in the 'Game...' thread?".

Because the original suggestion had a strong DW3 component to it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.