Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kodocha Manga and Doug (spoilers!)
Kodocha Manga and Doug (spoilers!)
You know, having finished reading TokyoPop's Kodocha manga (haven't finished the anime because I can't find the anime. Grr. Darnit), a good point to insert Doug the Bodyguard would be just after or just before Sana's attack by Naozumi's crazed fans. It'd make sense that Rei would want more protection for Sana after that incident.
But how would that effect the rest of the series? After all, it's a big deal that Hayama goes alone to find the suicidal kid and would Doug leave Sana's side as she is his principal?
But that doesn't stop Doug from surrepitously healing Hayama of his nerve damage. So that could be the point in which the series diverges. What changes would build up as Hayama's father doesn't need to send his family to the U.S. and Sana's emotional break doesn't occur (or does it?)
And so on.
Something to think about.
-murmur
Doug: Hey, what's that!
Hayama: . . .
Doug: Just turn your head and look!
Hayama: Why?
Doug: Um . . . it's a dinosaur!
Hayama: Really?
*clonk*
Doug: Now for some covert musical healing, moo hoo ha ha!
Re: Kodocha Manga and Doug (spoilers!)
You're way, way farther ahead than I ever got.
As for finding the anime, I stumbled on a dealer who was selling all of it in what's probably a Hong Kong edition for really cheap: NextDay Anime. Search on Kodomo No Omocha there, and you'll see all 102 eps on three DVD sets, for about $32 each. However! I have not used this place, I don't know how reliable they are, and I can't vouch for them.
Also, the English subtitles in Hong Kong editions can be very... idiosyncratic. Fair warning.
(Edit: fixed episode count)

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Generally avoid anime which has been subbed by a hong kong or chinese group...until you have seen one of the subbed episodes or more -_- i can vouch for how bad sub's can go in the hands of a chinese group.... Tongue
This is not a fansubber group, WengFook -- this is a commercial release from Hong Kong. Different beast. We have a release of Sister Princess done in Hong Kong. But your warning about the subtitles is probably just as appropriate... Offsides can probably tell you all about our rants about the SisPri subtitles.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
kodo
You're way, way farther ahead than I ever got.
[Really? Then I heartily recommend that you get the Kodocha manga from any local big chain bookstore. Ten volumes at $9.99. It's a great story and I don't think the anime diverged that much from it.]
As for finding the anime, I stumbled on a dealer who was selling all of it in what's probably a Hong Kong edition for really cheap: NextDay Anime. Search on Kodomo No Omocha there, and you'll see all 102 eps on three DVD sets, for about $32 each. However! I have not used this place, I don't know how reliable they are, and I can't vouch for them.
[I have a hard enough time forcing myself to order stuff over the internet from here in the US, much less something from Hong Kong. Thanks but no thanks.
Anyway, there's a lot of peril and even "action" in the latter half of the series, so there's a lot for Doug to do.]
-murmur
Re: kodo
I started buying the manga about a year ago -- or more correctly, I bought the first volume. But the difference in tone threw me -- I preferred the wackier anime style to the more dramatic manga style, even though the stories are, at least as far as I read, identical. So I never followed through on the series. I suppose I should now...
Quote:
Anyway, there's a lot of peril and even "action" in the latter half of the series, so there's a lot for Doug to do.
Interesting. I'd've never expected it. I wonder... nah. What are the chances that my tentative plot threads are similar to the ones that were actually used? Probably nil.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
bob said:
This is not a fansubber group, WengFook -- this is a commercial release from Hong Kong. Different beast. We have a release of Sister Princess done in Hong Kong. But your warning about the subtitles is probably just as appropriate... Offsides can probably tell you all about our rants about the SisPri subtitles.
uhm I wasnt talking about fansubs.... -_- really... i was talking about the commercial release. as in able to walk into a shop and buy it off a shelf. its bad. really bad.
interestingly enough fansubbers now a days in the mainstream fansubbing community have better transalations than the commercial brethren... ^^
Sorry, I guess I drew the wrong inferences from what you said.
As for fansubbers, yeah, some of the ones whose work I've seen -- I don't deal with too many -- do seem a bit superior to the pros. But then again, comparing fansubs to dubs is comparing apples to applesauce. Dubs must work around the mouthflaps; subs have the luxury of not worrying in that regard.
But I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Actually, chances are he was talking about commercial *SUBS*. I was... rather disappointed... with the ADV version of Full Metal Panic, for instance.- Aleh, who is currently working on a Ranma fic in which Kunou decides the only way to beat the 'Foul Sorcerer' is to learn his ways... and is currently running around wearing a black helmet and calling himself 'Darth Kunou'.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
aleh said:
Actually, chances are he was talking about commercial *SUBS*.
^_^ yes i was.
heh I implore you all not to buy any chobits dvd's or vcd's which are done by a chinese group. At one point the subtitles jumped ahead of the actual lines of what the characters were saying... i spent the whole time mentally rewinding the lines so they mathced up causing major brain aching Tongue
I joke not.
I've got the same problem with my Excel Saga DVDs.
DVDs released by companies over here tend to concentrate more on the Chinese subs. Those almost always work fine. The English subtitles, however, are pretty much an afterthought. It's understandable...English speakers aren't their primary audience.
Hell, I've got a couple of anime sets where the English subs are actually ripped fansubs, complete with e-mail addresses and lines reading 'THIS IS A FANSUB - NOT FOR SALE'. First time I saw that, I nearly died laughing. It shows how much they care. =)
-- Acyl
Okay, the sub/fansub/dub discussion has gone on long enough; I should never have contributed to it myself. Let's let it die here and pick it up in General/General if you want to keep going.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.