Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ontario 2018 election thread
RE: The Ontario 2018 election thread
The Campaigner, June 7 - It's election day in Ontario! (I didn't expect much more than that in today's Campaigner.) Polls are open until 9pm. Take your Voter Information Card and one piece of ID to the polling station listed on the Voter Information Card in order to vote.

99.57% of all technology-enabled polls are up and running across the province - which leaves a few dozen polling stations where they'll have to count the ballots by hand after 9pm. <deadpan-snark> Shock. Gasp. Horrors. </deadpan-snark>

Results will be aired live on CBC Radio One across Ontario beginning at 9pm - find the closest station, or listen online to the CBC Radio One Ottawa feed.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I'll always be suspicious of computer voting. I'll also be suspicious of electronic counting machines, especially if they are the only method of counting used. The only thing you need to fix an election result is a datastick with a software update and access to the storage room.

But at least there's paper ballots that can be counted by hand.

Not because a person can be trusted, they can't be when there's a definite incentive to give skewed results. But then nobody trusts 1 person. That's why there's more than 1 person counting, and counting is done publicly. A secret is easily kept with 1 person, keeping a secret with 20 is much harder.
Civic duty completed. Here's hoping for a last minute surge of sanity.
The polls just closed. (Except for nine where there were some problems earlier in the day. One of those will be open until midnight Central time.)

There are 124 seats in the legislature, so 63 seats are needed for a majority government.

Live results

With 1% of the votes in (voting machines help give results quickly), it's neck and neck.

3% and the PCs are starting to pull ahead... but the seats that CBC are willing to call have gone to the NDP.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Now we wait...
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
10% of the polls reporting - nobody's clinched a seat yet. Leading: PCs 58, NDP 33, Liberals 5, Green 1

CBC's calling a PC government, but haven't said majority or minority yet.

Polls closed 15 minutes ago. Leading: PCs 72, NDP 35, Liberals 6, Green 1. 10 ridings have not reported any polls yet. Andrea Horvath is pretty secure in her seat.

Polls closed 20 minutes ago. Leading or Elected: PCs 68, NDP 39, Liberals 7, Green 1. CBC is projecting a PC majority.

Doug Ford is pretty secure in his seat. That's two party leaders most likely (re-)elected.

25 minutes after polls closed. Leading or Elected: PCs 70, NDP 39, Liberals 7, Green 1.

30 minutes after polls closed. Leading or Elected: PCs 72, NDP 39, Liberals 8, Green 1. The Green Party's leader is pretty secure in his seat.

It's still "too close to call" whether Wynne is going back to Queen's Park.

35 minutes after polls closed. Leading or Elected: PCs 71, NDP 40, Liberals 8, Green 1. The maps of Toronto and Ottawa are both tending to Tory blue, while Windsor's pretty solidly NDP orange.

And life goes on - I have work tomorrow morning. Will Wynne get re-elected? I'll find out tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, one last comment - the Liberals need 8 seats to retain "official party" status (which gives them research money in the legislature).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As of 12:05 AM EDT: PC 76 seats, NDP 39, Liberal 7, Green 1 with 1 seat still up in the air.

If the new seat of Kiiwetinoong (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiiwetinoong) in northwest Ontario swings Liberal, they get official party status as Rob noted above. If any other party gets it, Liberals lose official party status and lose official funding support for research.

Kathleen Wynne has resigned as leader of the Liberals. She did retain her seat in Don Valley West, which is in the area northeast of downtown Toronto.

As for my riding of Niagara Centre (Welland, Port Colborne, Thorold and south Saint Catharines), it remains NDP with a new man representing us, Jeff Burch. The MPP for the area before the election, ex-Welland mayor Cindy Foster, decided not to run again.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
And it's all over, with a PC majority.

The Liberals only won 7 seats (including three in Ottawa), one short of "official party" status. Kiiwetinoong went NDP.

Ford was a dick - he started his acceptance speech before Wynne finished her concession speech, forcing the media to cut her off to cover him. I hope that was an error on his part and not a sign of his intention to not listen to people who don't agree with him... but I'm not holding my breath on that.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
There were some close margins:
  • Scarborough-Guildwood: the Liberal candidate received 81 more votes than the PC candidate
  • Thunder Bay - Atikokan: the NDP candidate received 81 more votes than the Liberal candidate
  • Brampton Centre: the NDP candidate received 89 more votes than the PC candidate
  • Ottawa West - Nepean: the PC candidate received 176 more votes than the NDP candidate
  • Don Valley West: the Liberal candidate (Wynne) received 181 more votes than the PC candidate
Keep in mind that we do not have a two-party system, so all of these close races are pluralities, not majorities.

The widest margin of victory was in Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembrooke, where the PC candidate received 25,284 more votes than the NDP candidate (and nearly three-quarters of the total vote).

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/onvotes/results/
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-08-2018, 11:23 AM)robkelk Wrote: There were some close margins:
  • Ottawa West - Nepean: the PC candidate received 176 more votes than the NDP candidate

Ugh. So damn close.
well, if Ford does start acting like a Trump-mk2, at least we have a higher level of Government who can rein him in a bit.
Over 50% turnout. Still not good. Voting only takes what, five minutes of someone's time?
(06-08-2018, 12:31 PM)Epsilon Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 11:23 AM)robkelk Wrote: There were some close margins:

Ugh. So damn close.

With 50,545 votes cast from a possible 86,747 voters.

Which means the results in the riding were:

Couldn't be bothered to vote: 36,202
PC: 16,591
NDP: 16,415
Liberal: 14,809
Green: 1,937
NAP: 542

More people in the riding chose "Couldn't be bothered to vote" than chose the PCs and the NDP combined. (Yes, they couldn't be bothered. There were advance voting places, mail-in votes, and translation help; one would have had to be in a coma to not be able to vote.) Maybe there should be a new election.

The Campaigner, June 8 - "Introducing Ontario's new premier: Doug Ford"

And that's the final issue of The Campaigner. All further posts to this thread will be opinions, unless one of those close races goes for a recount.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-08-2018, 04:32 PM)Pyeknu Wrote: Over 50% turnout.  Still not good.  Voting only takes what, five minutes of someone's time?

Depends on where the polling place is.

Mind, polling should be close by people's residences and where they're likely to go anyway (which is part of why schools are a common site), but depending on how out of the way it is it might take longer.

And that's presuming there's no queues.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:...y_2016.png

There are some parts of Ontario that are quite "out of the way".  Ottawa is not one of those places.

In California, a few counties are doing voting almost entirely by mail, with only a few polling places (roughly one per city).  I'm hoping this works out, because it's a lot less trouble and expense for everyone involved.  Having been a poll worker, I know that the process is pretty involved: recruiting people to work for one day, training them every single time, securing many locations in limited geographic areas for one whole day and paying if necessary, transporting materials to and from the polls and then storing them between elections.  If a polling place doesn't have a phone, the county gives you a cell phone and pays for service.  All of this opposed to paying the post office a small fee for delivery.  The only downside is that you can't correct people who have overvoted, which happens quite a bit when there are two columns of candidates for the same office on the same page.

And on the couldn't be bothered to vote, I still like Australia's system, where you get a token fine for not voting (somewhere in the range of AU$20 to 80).  Let the free market decide if you'd rather support democracy with money or time!

For Doug Ford and the PCs, I wish them good luck.  I doubt I'd support half of their issues, but when governments succeed, the people in them do too.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Voting used to be compulsory in the Netherlands. Even though it's not been compulsory for more than 30 years now, 70% voting participation is considered unusually low.

And yes, I get that setting up polling places and making sure it's all done properly is involved and expensive. And I suppose that in a nation where there isn't an identification requirement mailing isn't as much of a problem. But, well, the Netherlands does require that you identify yourself with proper Dutch identification papers so as to ensure that you are in fact who you say you are and are authorized to vote, and everyone who is of age is required by law to have those papers anyway.
(06-10-2018, 03:18 PM)Labster Wrote: ...
For Doug Ford and the PCs, I wish them good luck.  I doubt I'd support half of their issues, but when governments succeed, the people in them do too.

It was time for a shift, based on historical trends - and the last time Ontario shifted to the NDP was a disaster.

I just wish we had some idea of what we're going to lose to make up the funding shortfall for all those tax cuts.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(blows dust off thread)

Well, Ford has had his first hundred days. What has he done?

The 10 biggest things Doug Ford has done in his first 100 days in office

TL;DR:
  1. Cut Toronto's city council (in the middle of a municipal election)
  2. Rolled back 2015 sex-ed curriculum (so it no longer mentions same-sex relationships or gender identity)
  3. Investigating province's $15B deficit
  4. Cancelled cap-and-trade & Green Energy Act ("Ford's first act as premier was winding down Ontario's cap-and-trade program, which caps greenhouse emissions while allowing major polluters to buy and trade exemptions in the form of carbon credits. ... As a result, a $100-million school repair fund was also cancelled.")
  5. Halted opening of safe-injection sites
  6. Cancelled Ontario's basic income pilot (before it had a chance to report on whether it was less or more expensive than welfare)
  7. Fired CEO of Hydro One and board
  8. Reviewing Fair Workplace and Better Jobs Act
  9. Rolled back Pharmacare
  10. Opened door to private weed sales

Plenty of tearing down social infrastructure, not a lot of building replacements...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
*sigh* one of the reasons I didn't vote PC was because Ford reminded me of Trump. And it seems like I was right. "Get rid of what I don't like. What do you mean I have to replace it with something?"
And now he's gone and disbanded the advisory committee on violence against women.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown