Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
Nobody checked the box that would have stopped him updating his own Talk page (until Geth did when he made the ban permanent).

It's only fair to give him some channel to plead his case to reduce a tempban. He chose to take a different option, though.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(03-19-2018, 06:12 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: How was he still posting?  I thought he'd already been (temp-)banned.

I gave him a soft temp ban, letting him still use his talk page.

Became a hard full ban when he squandered my largesse.
So long
Farewell
Auf Wiedersehen
Goodnight
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Well, that escalated quickly.

Kind of a bizarre incident all around.

-Morgan.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.
That's odd...

I just created "The Island of Doctor Moreau/Source". (Thank you, Project Gutenberg.) Why is it not showing up in the bar at the top of "The Island of Doctor Moreau"?

Never mind - it's finally shown up. Just Miraheze being slow, I guess.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Not so much Miraheze as maybe caching on your end (or perhaps along the way). When I hit the work page myself this morning not long after you added the text, the Source tab was there.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Okay, I've updated the National Film Registry page and the Works pages that we have for the movies named to the list in 2016 and 2017.

It's amazing how many great movies don't have Works pages yet - we have writeups for 13 of the 25 movies named to the Registry in 2016, and 9 of the 25 movies named to the Registry in 2017. We need more pages - including Blackboard Jungle, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, and La Bamba.

Oh, yes... if you watch the inductees for 2017, you'll believe a man can fly. You'll believe an elephant can fly, too.

(And as long as I'm bitching about pages about awards, somebody please remind me on Good Friday to update the Canada Reads page - that's when we'll know this year's winner.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Is anybody here familiar with Extension:Multi-Category Search? I've had a request to install it on the freebie wiki, and I'd like to know whether it does what it says (and only what it says) on the Mediwiki page.

(That page says the extension has a prerequisite of Extension:CharInsert, which the freebie wiki doesn't appear to have either.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-28-2018, 01:39 PM)robkelk Wrote: Is anybody here familiar with Extension:Multi-Category Search? I've had a request to install it on the freebie wiki, and I'd like to know whether it does what it says (and only what it says) on the Mediwiki page.

(That page says the extension has a prerequisite of Extension:CharInsert, which the freebie wiki doesn't appear to have either.)

Yes, it does.
(03-28-2018, 01:39 PM)robkelk Wrote: Is anybody here familiar with Extension:Multi-Category Search? I've had a request to install it on the freebie wiki, and I'd like to know whether it does what it says (and only what it says) on the Mediwiki page.

Do we have it on ATT?
(03-28-2018, 07:23 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:

Do we have it on ATT?

It doesn't show up on the list of installed extensions at Special:Version. If we're voting to add it to ATT, I vote yes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'd like us to have it, too -- I remember recently wanting to do that kind of search for something.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Of course, this means we'll have to add categories to a lot of pages - the extension won't find what isn't there.

(A search for Rom-Com AND Martial Arts AND Anime won't find Ranma 1/2 if the show's page doesn't have all of those categories, for instance.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You can always do those kind of searches with Dynamic Page List; DPL has a great interface if you love programming.  Extension:Multi-Category Search is still subject to the slow review described in T210, but you can reopen if you want.  You know my work schedule, so don't expect miracles on speed.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(03-28-2018, 10:24 PM)Labster Wrote: You can always do those kind of searches with Dynamic Page List; DPL has a great interface if you love programming. Extension:Multi-Category Search is still subject to the slow review described in T210, but you can reopen if you want. You know my work schedule, so don't expect miracles on speed.

Multi-Category Search has an advantage over Dynamic Page List in that MCS has a front-end that allows one-off searches. DPL is great for keeping index pages up-to-date.

(03-20-2018, 08:24 PM)robkelk Wrote: (And as long as I'm bitching about pages about awards, somebody please remind me on Good Friday to update the Canada Reads page - that's when we'll know this year's winner.)

Never mind - I just updated the page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-28-2018, 10:24 PM)Labster Wrote: You can always do those kind of searches with Dynamic Page List; DPL has a great interface if you love programming.  Extension:Multi-Category Search is still subject to the slow review described in T210, but you can reopen if you want.  You know my work schedule, so don't expect miracles on speed.

anything changed per the circumstances of MCS in 2 years
<sigh> I haven't paid a lot of attention to Jade Shauni's contributions before now, but I think I'd better. Every time I edit one of their pages, I find essentially random verb tenses, rampant sentence fragments, spelling errors and god knows what else. I don't want the job of rewriting everything they wrote, but damn! reading it is like nails on a blackboard for me.
-- Bob

At least JS is willing to learn when we ask questions.

I made a new navbox today. Wonder of wonders, we actually have pages for (barely) over half of the entries!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think we need to add text and a link to the "Don't Copy TVT Verbatim" directive into the New User "welcome" message. The last few new users to actually start actively doing stuff all seem to have started by jumping right to cloning TVT articles.

Also, shouldn't we update the logo on that message? It still has that black-and-white Alphonse Mucha/Art Nouveau thing we used for a few months years ago.
-- Bob

Done. Also, I added the category "All The Tropes" to the two images.
I see SelfCloak has updated the image.

I'm adding a link to All The Tropes:So You're a TV Tropes Refugee .
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, cool. Thanks, guys.
-- Bob

I'm thinking that we should provide a link to this article some place on the wiki - it's right up our alley of analyzing and explaining how the fiction works - but (other than on the particular work page) I have no idea where to put the links. Anybody have any ideas?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Why does "Instrumentality" redirect to "Assimilation Plot"?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-08-2018, 01:08 PM)robkelk Wrote: Why does "Instrumentality" redirect to "Assimilation Plot"?

Because Evangelion spoilers.