Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
We did ask him to post an ACK... but we did also already tempban him, so the penalty for not posting an ACK has already been implemented.

I'd be inclined to let it go this time, but not cut any slack next time.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Fair enough.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Sometimes the perfect example comes along.

It has come to my attention that there is a quartet called The STEVES. Looking at their Bandcamp page, I discovered they have an album titled "No Solos".

Guess what cover art now adorns One Steve Limit/Music.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I recall a local band -- not famous, and long ago broken up -- called Force 4-D. It consisted of four band members named Dan.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Heh.  Here's a fictional example from chapter 2 of DW13 -- based on something someone said in the EPU forums a couple years back:

Quote:"Hey, and it's great playing here at the Bronze.  We're Shadowy
Daves On A Shadowy Planet, and it's time to introduce the band.  
On bass, Davy Klein."  The bassist strummed a power chord.  "On 
keyboards, David Fontaine."  An arpeggio spilled out in classic
rock organ style.  "On drums, Daffyd ap Maddox."  A short drum
solo pounded out over the now-cheering audience.  "Saxophone, 
Dave Rodriguez."  A soulful wail brought a round of applause. 
"And me, I'm Tommy Choi."  He smiled and shrugged at the laughter 
from the cheering audience.  "I wanted to change my name, but 
they wouldn't let me.  Something about Federal requirements for 
diversity."  More laughter.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
NEW FORUM IS READY!
https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...:WikiForum

And yes, those weird alignment errors are fixed now, meaning it should be fully functional.

Should I advertise it's in beta via a site message, or do you guys want to test it out a little more before we consider migrating from the old forums (which will be archived) and putting this in beta?

Me, I think it's good to go now that the alignment issues are fixed, but that's just me.
A bit more testing, please - I see that words are split in the middle when they're wrapped around images.

For example, the posts in https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...&thread=15 - at the width I currently have my window set at, the word "the" is split in two in Bob's post, becoming "t" on the first line and "he" on the second.

This might be just an Opera thing, though. Is the same behaviour showing in other browsers?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-12-2018, 10:22 PM)robkelk Wrote: A bit more testing, please - I see that words are split in the middle when they're wrapped around images.

For example, the posts in https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...&thread=15 - at the width I currently have my window set at, the word "the" is split in two in Bob's post, becoming "t" on the first line and "he" on the second.

This might be just an Opera thing, though. Is the same behaviour showing in other browsers?

Like here?

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:Wi...age_Patrol

Probably need to do some more CSS tweaking, will see if I can fix that.

Edit: Found this issue was easy to fix, seems like there are several word-break conditions built in by default, but simple CSS tweaks added to Common.css can deal with that. I also widened the search box.

Let me know if you guys discover any other weird issues.

Any posts that had these issues may require a page refresh to render normally now.
Much better, thanks!

(Now, do I want this on the freebie wiki? I'll ask the core contributors whether they're interested.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<sigh>

Another navbox for award winners, another discovery that half the winners don't have wiki pages yet. But this award is international and for SF writers - I'd have thought they'd all have wiki pages by now.

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein_Award
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If no one objects, I'm going to put up a site message advertising our new forum is in open beta soon.
No objections from me.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Added the appropriate sitenotice.

Update; I have introduced several edits to improve readability of the forums that may require purging your cache to see properly. These edits can be found in Common.css and changed by any admin if need be.

According to the documentation for the extension, all but the icons may be freely altered by CSS, but the icons are acceptable as is if you ask me.

Also, if you are admin or higher privilege, Miraheze has given us the power to enable and disable any and all extensions they have globally loaded at will at this page.

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:ManageWiki

Keep in mind that specialized settings for extensions will still need to be done by Miraheze staff via Phabricator.

Changing this will NOT leave a public log, and if extensions conflict, they will fail to change to avoid wiki issues automatically.
(05-14-2018, 12:30 AM)GethN7 Wrote: Also, if you are admin or higher privilege, Miraheze has given us the power to enable and disable any and all extensions they have globally loaded at will at this page.

Keep in mind that specialized settings for extensions will still need to be done by Miraheze staff via Phabricator.

Changing this will NOT leave a public log, and if extensions conflict, they will failt to change to avoid wiki issues automatically.

Admins can't even load that page. "The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Bureaucrats."

But that's okay.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-14-2018, 08:39 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-14-2018, 12:30 AM)GethN7 Wrote: Also, if you are admin or higher privilege, Miraheze has given us the power to enable and disable any and all extensions they have globally loaded at will at this page.

Changing this will NOT leave a public log, and if extensions conflict, they will failt to change to avoid wiki issues automatically.

Admins can't even load that page. "The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Bureaucrats."

But that's okay.

Oh crap, I was informed admins had access.

Thanks for catching that.
No worries.

But since I am a bureaucrat over on the freebie wiki... Any idea how long it takes for a change to take effect? I just (five minutes ago) checked the box to activate WikiLove on the freebie wiki, and I don't see the hearts yet.

Oh, and the change does show up in the Farmer Log - at least, it does on the freebie wiki.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-14-2018, 09:04 AM)robkelk Wrote: No worries.

But since I am a bureaucrat over on the freebie wiki... Any idea how long it takes for a change to take effect? I just (five minutes ago) checked the box to activate WikiLove on the freebie wiki, and I don't see the hearts yet.

Oh, and the change does show up in the Farmer Log - at least, it does on the freebie wiki.

Again, oops. if it fails, nothing will be reported.

Also, while we can enable the settings, it may need some time to percolate through the Miraheze servers like most extensions usually do before it's fully functional.
Ladies and gentlemen, I have enabled every skin currently on Miraheze's servers as options for testing purposes.

Some will have ghastly formatting problems, some may have minor issues, some work just fine.

The former I'm going to disable if the fixes needed would be too extensive. the second group I will try to amend with some CSS alterations.
Speaking of extensions, does anyone have any idea why all tables of contents suddenly became collapsable (and collapsed by default) about 11 EDT this morning?
-- Bob

(05-14-2018, 11:56 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Speaking of extensions, does anyone have any idea why all tables of contents suddenly became collapsable (and collapsed by default) about 11 EDT this morning?

My fault. I enabled the TocTree extension for testing purposes.

I wanted to see how it would work across various skins and to see if it would play nice with our HideSection extension functionality.

If it's troublesome, please feel free to disable it via Special:ManageWiki, as you have bureaucrat powers.
(05-14-2018, 11:56 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Speaking of extensions, does anyone have any idea why all tables of contents suddenly became collapsable (and collapsed by default) about 11 EDT this morning?

ISTR seeing that option on the ManageWiki list - did somebody check it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh yeah, these extensions jumped out at me as having some practical use for our needs:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Description2

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenGraphMeta
Why, when clicking on an image in a page, do I now get a pop-up of an image instead of going to that image's File page? And how do I turn this behaviour off?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-14-2018, 02:35 PM)robkelk Wrote: Why, when clicking on an image in a page, do I now get a pop-up of an image instead of going to that image's File page? And how do I turn this behaviour off?

There seems to be some database weirdness going on involving settings changes, sent our overlords a bug report.

As to the issue, I'm not getting it, try clearing your cookies and trying again, might be a caching goof.

Also, God Bless Canada:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Sherlock_H...ock_Holmes

I've been on a Sherlock Holmes binge of late, but American copyright law is a bit restrictive on some of the works in this collection, but the Maple Leaf, thankfully, is not.

In a few years all the remaining works in this collection will be kosher under American public domain laws, but until then, my compliments to your country for sating my Holmes binge. Big Grin
(05-14-2018, 09:04 AM)robkelk Wrote: No worries.

The freebie wiki has WikiLove! (Now to figure out how to replace the Photography Barnstar with a CG Render Barnstar.) It's looking like we don't want WikiForum, though.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown