Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
Refresh my memory, please (since I can't find the instructions anywhere on the wiki):

How do I put a YouTube video on the upper-right corner of a page where a static image usually goes? (Specifically, this video on this page.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I found the code for it in the Rick Roll page:

Code:
<div style="float:right; margin-left:5px; margin-bottom:3px; padding:0px; border:1px solid #ffffff; font-size:100%; line-height:120%; padding:0.4em; background-color:#eeeeee; border-bottom:1px solid #ffffff"><youtube>[Video ID here]</youtube></div>
That's it! Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've tried unsuccessfully to put that all in a template, but for some reason it doesn't work -- you end up with a blank YouTube player embedded in the page. It just occurred to me as I type this, though, that I called the template {{yourube}}; maybe the name is conflicting with the <youtube> markup somehow?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Those are different names, so not sure why they'd conflict, you rube.

But in general, they don't conflict.  It might be installed as a parser extension too, but those are prefixed with an octothorpe.  Like {{#youtube: ... }}
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Well, typos aside, I asked around a couple times a year or more back for someone who actually knows how this stuff works, as opposed to me, who has not much better than a cargo-cult programming skill in it, to look at what I was doing and maybe find my presumed error. But no one ever did, so I settled for using the raw HTML code to do the embeds.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Yeesh
Okay, as part of my slow progress through the Trope category, cleaning up things, I just moved "One Steve Limit" to "One-Steve Limit", for, you know, proper punctuation.  Except in checking the history, I see we've ping-ponged on which name to use for five years.  Can we perhaps thrash this out, and I'll either revert or update the category accordingly?
-- Bob

I will taking the new forum and adding it to the sidebar soon if no one has objections.

Also, our Related Pages feature now works,see bottom of page for example:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Eye_Scream

See here for markup usage example.

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...id=1596152
Somehow putting a hyphen there feels incorrect; maybe it's because "Steve" seems like a proper noun there, but really isn't?

I just figured out the Template:Video_right issue. Extension:Youtube doesn't process any template stuff within its tags.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
"One Steve Limit" tells me we are limited to a single Steve.

"One-Steve Limit" tells me we are limiting a one-Steve, whatever a "one-Steve" is. It's a compound noun.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A note for the Related Pages feature, we have to set pages to use it manually since CirrusSearch is off the table due to its massive server requirements, so if anyone sees pages we can add similar pages to that feature (AKA "See Also" pages), please add them.
I see we're only allowed three Related Pages. So much for relating The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, The Children of Húrin, and The History of Middle Earth to each other. (Dropping the History...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-18-2018, 08:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: I see we're only allowed three Related Pages. So much for relating The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, The Children of Húrin, and The History of Middle Earth to each other. (Dropping the History...)

Afraid it's a limitation of the coding. Even the CirrusSearch powered version is limited in this manner.
Linking all those together sounds like a job for a "franchise" page (not necessarily named that, but that's the idea).

-Morgan.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.
By the bye, what's up with the random logouts over the last couple days? It's starting to get a bit annoying.
-- Bob

Don't know... and I've added a comment on the forum.

I believe somebody mentioned wanting to clean up this list if it existed... well, now the list Pages in category "No Real Life Examples, Please" that do not use the template "noreallife" exists on my Sandbox page.

It's a DPL3 list, so it'll update automagically.

EDIT: And another DPL3 list on my sandbox page - pages that use both the deathtrope and spoiler templates. The "deathtrope" template says all spoilers will be not-hidden, so they're mutually exclusive. The list maxed out at 500 entries and was still in pages beginning with "A"...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, geeze, what is it this time?
The Trope Workshop is not displaying everything that it should.  In particular, I just noticed "Tongue Suicide" and "Strawmanopolis", although they are both properly marked up, do not appear.  And the expandable list of pages in the namespace shows several more pages than the category contents displays.  

Nothing here is new; these pages have been in the category for weeks.  Why are we getting this?
-- Bob

(05-21-2018, 10:07 AM)robkelk Wrote: EDIT: And another DPL3 list on my sandbox page - pages that use both the deathtrope and spoiler templates. The "deathtrope" template says all spoilers will be not-hidden, so they're mutually exclusive. The list maxed out at 500 entries and was still in pages beginning with "A"...

Are you sure this one is working correctly? It looks like there's things in there that aren't death tropes at all. And by that, I mean I'm not seeing anything that's a death trope at first glance.

-Morgan.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.
(05-21-2018, 10:38 PM)Morganite Wrote:
(05-21-2018, 10:07 AM)robkelk Wrote: EDIT: And another DPL3 list on my sandbox page - pages that use both the deathtrope and spoiler templates. The "deathtrope" template says all spoilers will be not-hidden, so they're mutually exclusive. The list maxed out at 500 entries and was still in pages beginning with "A"...

Are you sure this one is working correctly? It looks like there's things in there that aren't death tropes at all. And by that, I mean I'm not seeing anything that's a death trope at first glance.

-Morgan.

You're right - it was set up to find pages that used either template. (goes and double-checks documentation) And I see I can't search for pages that use two templates... so I'm changing that list to searching for just the deathtrope template. EDIT: Better, yet, it's now a list of pages in Category:Death Tropes that don't use the deathtrope template.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
So... any word on how much longer it'l be until we get that extension that enforces license selection on file uploads?
-- Bob

sigh... I'm tired, and he doesn't listen anyway. I just fixed the new page Jason Taylor made without saying anything to him.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Should we give him another tempban for consistently ignoring style and content guidelines and all but ignoring admin communications? I have to admit I'm getting tired of having to check every one of his edits and fix spelling, punctuation, markup and often basic sentence construction. And he seems completely unable to learn from either example or instruction.
-- Bob

Admins, please check out this talk page. Jade Shauni asked a question which revealed that the page in question -- one of the ones she (?) started in the Workshop -- is a simple rewrite of a TVT original. And by "simple" I mean she rewrote each TVT paragraph individually -- hell, in some cases she rewrote each sentence individually -- instead of recreating the article from scratch. Now strictly speaking I suppose it doesn't infringe, but I wouldn't want to defend it in court. Can I get folks to take a look and weigh in on whether we keep the page or not, please? Thanks.
-- Bob

(05-23-2018, 07:08 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Should we give him another tempban for consistently ignoring style and content guidelines and all but ignoring admin communications?  I have to admit I'm getting tired of having to check every one of his edits and fix spelling, punctuation, markup and often basic sentence construction.  And he seems completely unable to learn from either example or instruction.

The first tempban didn't seem to do anything. Would a second one be different?

(05-23-2018, 08:01 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Admins, please check out this talk page.  Jade Shauni asked a question which revealed that the page in question -- one of the ones she (?) started in the Workshop -- is a simple rewrite of a TVT original.  And by "simple" I mean she rewrote each TVT paragraph individually -- hell, in some cases she rewrote each sentence individually -- instead of recreating the article from scratch.  Now strictly speaking I suppose it doesn't infringe, but I wouldn't want to defend it in court.  Can I get folks to take a look and weigh in on whether we keep the page or not, please?  Thanks.

Ooh, tricky. Is that a sufficiently new work that copyright wouldn't apply, or a translation and thus a derivative work? I don't know copyright law that well.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-23-2018, 08:13 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 07:08 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Should we give him another tempban for consistently ignoring style and content guidelines and all but ignoring admin communications?
The first tempban didn't seem to do anything. Would a second one be different?

Let's try it for a week.  He's already doing stuff again -- like using abbreviations for no good reason in example text ("the name was equiv to a... citation" in an example I'm editing at this moment) -- that we warned him off of.  I'll start with an "Answer this with more than a thanks or else" message on his page, though.

(05-23-2018, 08:13 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 08:01 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Can I get folks to take a look and weigh in on whether we keep the page or not, please?  Thanks.

Ooh, tricky. Is that a sufficiently new work that copyright wouldn't apply, or a translation and thus a derivative work? I don't know copyright law that well.

I'm supposedly something close to an expert because of my pro writing and I'm not sure.  My gut is saying it's too close -- and that she's done too many of them to excuse it as an accident.  (The thing is, she's not doing it out of malice, just a bad idea of what constitutes "original"; I don't want to discourage her from contributing, because we need all the active contributors we can get.  But she's also yea-shy of being functionally illiterate, and is actually as much trouble to clean up after as Jason Taylor is.)  But we need to cover ourselves legally, so I think we need to make a concerted group effort to find and fix or delete anything that reads too closely to a TVT counterpart.
-- Bob