Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
The previous thread is here.

And while I'm starting the new thread, the upcoming change to page move permissions prompts me to ask where/how we create messages for the new update feature on the home page.  That seems to be the most appropriate place to announce the change once it's made.

I suspect that there's a link in the old thread to the appropriate documentation, but never let it be said I wasn't too lazy to ask someone else to tell me something I could find out for myself.  <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
Anything added to MediaWiki:Sitenotice will appear at the top of every page. Note that only Admins can edit that page.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Yeah, that would probably be the better way to do it. Not everyone goes in through the front page every time.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I am amused. IchiRukia sent me a nastygram on my Meta userpage, then deleted it, unaware that Meta had emailed me to tell me it was there.
-- Bob

Replying to the old thread:  I feel like I had hit most of the categories that were also pages, and changed them back to pages.  But there were a few I just gave up on.  Ho Yay is one of those pages.  Have fun!

Incidentally I don't like the idea of restricting page moves, because that just leads to blanking... but I'm not really running the wiki these days, so I'll leave the decision to those who are.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I'll admit that I'm of two minds about it myself -- on the one hand, it feels like a violation of some of our core values to place such a restriction. On the other hand, we've got people using page moves to vandalize the wiki. I'm erring on the side of preserving the wiki so we have a place for our core values to actually be.

EDIT: Oh, and if I have the time later today, I'll try my hand at fixing the Ho Yay mess.
-- Bob

(02-10-2018, 11:34 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'll admit that I'm of two minds about it myself -- on the one hand, it feels like a violation of some of our core values to place such a restriction.  On the other hand, we've got people using page moves to vandalize the wiki.  I'm erring on the side of preserving the wiki so we have a place for our core values to actually be.

EDIT:  Oh, and if I have the time later today, I'll try my hand at fixing the Ho Yay mess.

Well, we can always hand out page move rights to other people if we deem them responsible enough to not do foolish things with them.

If need be we should write a page about user levels and right and our policies in that regard if we don;t have it already.
I don't believe we do; that needs to go on the collective wiki "to do" list.
-- Bob

We have another spammer with links in the userpage -- User:Jerseyurology. And since I still don't know how to blank out the contents of a user page in the new system, will someone please do it for me? Thanks.
-- Bob

(02-10-2018, 02:58 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: We have another spammer with links in the userpage -- User:Jerseyurology.  And since I still don't know how to blank out the contents of a user page in the new system, will someone please do it for me?  Thanks.

Special:EditProfile (works for all admins)

Also, I don't believe spammers should be blocked temporarily. They deserve no pity and eternal blocks IMO.
It's not like they're going to return anyway, bots are one and done
Quote:Special:EditProfile
Mm. I think maybe this was already mentioned once and I forgot it. If so, my apologies.

One thing I can do about this particular spammer is that their customer is local to me. I'm thinking of showing up in their office one morning and registering a personal complaint about them hiring a spammer.
-- Bob

(02-10-2018, 09:39 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:Special:EditProfile
Mm.  I think maybe this was already mentioned once and I forgot it.  If so, my apologies.

One thing I can do about this particular spammer is that their customer is local to me.  I'm thinking of showing up in their office one morning and registering a personal complaint about them hiring a spammer.

Hmmmmm... I'd be tempted to explain that their agent put advertising on our website and present them with a bill... but they might pay it, and then we'd be stuck with the pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Confirmed QuizGame works, even got it to do the basics, but I asked it be disabled for now, for three reasons.

1. As you pointed out Rob, documentation is sparse.
2. Had some tooltip issues, system messages were not filled in for some button labels.
3. Loads pretty slow. (Seems to load analytics from WMF tool labs, likely to gauge usage of the extension on other wikis, but it makes it load like molasses until this is done)

It might be worth it at a later date, but for now this should be tabled until they iron out a few more issues.
So... last night I noticed something that had escaped me for the last few years.  We have two different "unmarked spoiler warning" templates.

{{Unmarked Spoilers}} (with both words uppercased}} produces this:

Quote:WARNING! There are unmarked Spoilers ahead. Beware.

Meanwhile, {{Unmarked spoilers}} (with "spoilers" lowercased) produces this text in a red box with an "information" icon (white lowercase "i" in a blue circle):

Quote:WARNING: The contents of this page include unmarked spoilers. Don't scroll down unless you don't mind having Plot Twists and other secrets revealed.
If you have checked or updated this page and there are no more unmarked spoilers, please remove this notice.

Until now, I don't think we've used the latter version; it's just been the first one, as the last line of an article, and frankly, I think it's kind of ugly.  However SelfCloak just recently rolled through a lot of the pages in Category:Pages with Unmarked Spoilers and applied the second one to them.

I am personally inclined to go through his work and change them all to the first template (and then change the second one to a redirect to the first), but before I do that, I want to get a sense of whether I'm alone in disliking the infobox version of the warning.  I mean, if no one else objects, I'm not going to change SelfCloak's efforts.   Opinions, please?
-- Bob

the text of the second is decent enough to be incorporated somehow into the first, otherwise redundancy is good to lower.
Good point, both of them.
-- Bob

I agree with LulzKiller that the wording of the second is good. I agree with Bob that we should only have one template.

Do we want an inline warning or a boxed warning? Inline matches the style we have for "No Real Life Examples" (and consistency in the style sheet is a Good Thing, IMHO), but boxed is more visible. EDIT: I have no preference here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I prefer the inline -- like I said, I find the boxed warning to be ugly and yeah, inline matches our existing style for other such messages.
-- Bob

I know I've been demanding a lot recently, but here's another... is there any way we can make a license selection mandatory when uploading a file? I just discovered that Jade Shauni has been uploading stuff and ignoring the license option for months.
-- Bob

(02-13-2018, 09:18 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I know I've been demanding a lot recently, but here's another... is there any way we can make a license selection mandatory when uploading a file?  I just discovered that Jade Shauni has been uploading stuff and ignoring the license option for months.

The UploadWizard extension is good possibility for this, but it does require some setup before it can be used out of the box.

Another alternative:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UploadCheck
Well. That latter one looks just about perfect.
-- Bob

Oh, definitely. And I'll have that on the freebie wiki as well, please - is this one I can install myself, or does Miraheze need to do some work?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-13-2018, 01:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Well.  That latter one looks just about perfect.

Only has two issues. It's not in git repo and it needs testing for compatibility.
I've done a bit of work clearing that new category for images imported from TVT without a license given.

PROTIP: Go to a work's Characters page. Check whether the first image on that page has license terms defined. If it doesn't have a license specified, chances are good that none of the images on that page have license terms defined... and one can add the work's category to the files when one is adding the license (which is "fairuse" 99% of the time for character images). Do them in bulk - one can make identical edits a dozen times in a row simply by copying text once and pasting it a dozen times in a row. (Assuming you don't mind getting into the page markup, that is.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown