Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
(04-08-2018, 01:30 PM)Mamorien Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 01:08 PM)robkelk Wrote: Why does "Instrumentality" redirect to "Assimilation Plot"?

Because Evangelion spoilers.

Not good enough. We're All The Tropes, not Hideki Anno's Tropes.

Merriam-Webster:
Quote:instrumentality

plural instrumentalities
1 : the quality or state of being instrumental
2 : means, agency
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(04-05-2018, 06:22 AM)robkelk Wrote: I'm thinking that we should provide a link to this article some place on the wiki - it's right up our alley of analyzing and explaining how the fiction works - but (other than on the particular work page) I have no idea where to put the links. Anybody have any ideas?

Mechanics of Writing, perhaps, or maybe a subpage thereof.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I've been cleaning up our "Other Free Licenses" list, and I'm down to eight files in that category.

Two of the images on the list are licensed under GPL. Should I copy the template I already have fo that license on the freebie wiki?

I've replaced the TVTropes import of File:RackhamCupidsAlley.jpg with a re-download from the source because TVTropes had a resized version and the license is CC-BY-NC-ND 3.0 Unported. (Resizing breaks the ND clause, does it not?)

Does anybody know which free license this image is provided under? I've asked on the uploader's talk page, but the uploader hasn't edited the wiki in over two years.

(Yes, I was distracted while cleaning up the images listed on this page. Amazing how many xkcd images we have on the wiki... and many dozens of those images now have the correct license listed.) As long as we have that list, we may as well use it - but let's not add anything more to it.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just ran into the disabled uploads and the change in the top-of-page message. It's nothing serious, I trust?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(04-17-2018, 01:59 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Just ran into the disabled uploads and the change in the top-of-page message.  It's nothing serious, I trust?

Considering that it's been 18 hours (as I post this), it looks like there might be something serious behind the scenes. No updates on the Miraheze Twitter feed.

Oh, and "no uploads" includes "no deleting files", so I've just marked a duplicate image as a candidate for speedy deletion.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Joy. I just love a mystery. <sigh>
-- Bob

Because I thought I'd already replied to this...

(04-08-2018, 09:18 PM)robkelk Wrote: Not good enough. We're All The Tropes, not Hideki Anno's Tropes.

"Instrumentality" appears to have been the name the trope originally launched under, when it was renamed the old name got a redirect, and then we inherited it.

(Of course you might have figured that out already.)

-Morgan.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.
Yeah. I've already turned the redirect into a disambiguation page. (It's a self-demonstrating article!)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Folks, keep an eye out for an anonymous contributor at ‎38.117.102.232. They've made only one edit so far, but that was to remove the {{examples}} template from Defrosting Ice Queen, with no explanation. I think we may have a possible potential vandal here.
-- Bob

Another one to watch: 2601:249:8100:2886:b1ea:6606:1207:b9fe

So far, only changes to various subpages of Dork Age, but they're low-context and often have the works' names potholed with non-standard names showing instead. (And whoever this is took Disney off of "Dork Age/Film" altogether to add the text to "Dork Age/Western Animation"; I've reverted the edit to /Film.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just saw this on the freebie wiki:
Quote:Miraheze will perform database maintenance on this wiki, from 21:50 UTC until approx. 20:20 UTC. During this time the wiki will be in read-only mode. Please save your edits before 21:45 UTC!
The freebie wiki's going to be in read-only mode for 23 hours? And with only 15 minutes notice?

So much for making that big batch of updates tonight. Sad

And now the note's gone, and I can still(?) again(?) edit the wiki. I'll see what happens in a couple of hours.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We have the rule; we put the rule at the top of every edit box for every YMMV page; so I have to enforce it.

NoxiousSludge gets a one-day vacation from the wiki for deleting an entry from Steven Universe/YMMV.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Tad Cipher's edit looks like it could use some grammar. And punctuation. And capitalization. And I'm just assuming spelling, but I can't stand to look at it closely enough to be sure on that one...

-Morgan.
Yeah. "Breathe, man, breathe!" I hope I punctuated it correctly.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
While reviewing the most recent changes to the wiki this morning, I happened to stumble across this edit to Poe's Law by TBeholder from last August, which I somehow overlooked when it was originally made. There's something about it that bothers me -- am I alone in reading it as including an attack on JK Rowling for the sin of not liking Trump?

Edit: Also, I wanted to suggest that we keep an eye on new user Never0. He/she's not a spammer, but they just made an edit to Charisma Doll that amounted to dumping an entire different version of the article into the page and leaving the two essentially intact and unreconciled. I'm dropping them a note about that, but I'm taking no other action. If, however, we see something like that again I think we'll need to impose a one-day ban or other attention-getter.
-- Bob

I've got my doubts about the overall point, but at the least, the only part that mentions Trump involves more than just not liking him, and appears to have happened exactly the way the editor described it.

-Morgan.
This hour's ATT and freebie wiki are brought to you by the number 503. <sigh>

EDIT: They're back.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-26-2018, 11:22 AM)Morganite Wrote: I've got my doubts about the overall point, but at the least, the only part that mentions Trump involves more than just not liking him, and appears to have happened exactly the way the editor described it.

Thank you.  I didn't trust my perception and wanted another opinion.
-- Bob

Also, traded some messages with Never0. Turns out he got sideswiped by a "helpful" system update in the process of editing the page, and was trying to fix it when I completed my edits. So, false alarm.
-- Bob

Do we have any idea how much longer it will be before Miraheze installs that plug-in which requires license selection for image uploads? I ask because user Lulu just dumped several images into the wiki without bothering with anything more complicated than hitting the upload button.

Edit: Again. After being warned by Rob only five days ago. Gonna give her a one-day "Hey! Pay Attention!" ban.
-- Bob

Sigh... 503s are back (at least on the freebie wiki), just after I'd saved a new page template. Did I add it to the dropdown list or not? (And I didn't get to test it - does "<includeonly>{{subst:PAGENAME}}</includeonly>" do what I think it does when it's inside infobox code?)

EDIT: The wiki's back. "<includeonly>{{subst:PAGENAME}}</includeonly>" didn't do exactly what I expected, but it did do what I wanted.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I may have more patience than Bob, but even my patience runs out. I've just given everybody who wants to keep "All The Tropes:What Goes Where On the Wiki" but haven't bothered doing any of the work to maintain the page a one-week warning of my intent to delete the page. (The page hasn't been edited since last December, when Bob added the speedy-delete template. It hasn't had a substantive edit since August 2016.)

Somebody please remind me to go look on May the Fourth.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've put the delete template on so many pages I've forgotten just which ones I've done it to.
-- Bob

Labster's edit looks pretty good to me.

-Morgan.
I figure if I only make one edit a month, I might as well make it count.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto