Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XI
(04-27-2018, 10:39 PM)Labster Wrote: I figure if I only make one edit a month, I might as well make it count.

While you're here, could you see why our Phabricator request for some wiki extensions seems to have stalled?
Image Source - Task complete!

The page now describes how we do things on ATT (the MediaWiki way), and is no longer a pale copy of the TVT page. As a side-effect, the list of files imported from TVT without identified licenses is now approximately 2% shorter than it was last month.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Two things:

- Davey2010 returned and recreated two pages for Français and Español. I blocked him for ban evasion and deleted those pages.
- NoxiousSludge got really angry over a block for deleting an entry from the Steven Universe YMMV page and blanked the whole page. I undid his vandalism.
(04-30-2018, 07:57 AM)SelfCloak Wrote: Two things:

- Davey2010 returned and recreated two pages for Français and Español. I blocked him for ban evasion and deleted those pages.
- NoxiousSludge got really angry over a block for deleting an entry from the Steven Universe YMMV page and blanked the whole page. I undid his vandalism.

1. Thank you.

2. I gave him a stern talking to and because I'm a nice guy I told him I'd overlook his stupidity just this once.

He screws up again, then fine, I wash my hands of him.
(04-30-2018, 07:57 AM)SelfCloak Wrote: Two things:

Thanks. I've protected "Français" and "Español" so that only admins can re-create them. Reason: "Excessive vandalism"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Something is seriously wrong, guys.  I have Category:Trope open in a tab in my browser to the part of the list I'm working on, and have for weeks.  When I looked at it this morning, this is all I saw:

Scrolling past "S" gets me an empty page.  Going backwards shows me only those tropes I happened to look at in the last day or so.

I also noticed that Trope Workshop was misbehaving, too, no longer inserting the Alphabet headers into the list of pages.

ETA: It's every freaking category. If you haven't looked at a page in that category recently, it appears empty. If you have, only the recent page(s) appear on it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
And that's not the only broken category. I just added a couple of categories to File:I am up.png , went to check they actually added, and discovered the work pages for Zits aren't showing up in the category Zits. Yes, they already have the category listed.

EDIT: Now the main work page for Zits is showing up in the category, but the subpages aren't. All I did was add the category to the image on the work page.

RE-EDIT: Oh, and the new user welcome bot hasn't welcomed SpectralSwords yet. The account was created 9 hour ago.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ack. I noticed the Welcome bot hadn't welcomed someone a day or two ago, and forgot to mention it.

And the remove/re-add for categories -- I had to do that on some of the images in the new Animated Images category yesterday. I'm beginning to think that the wiki has forgotten the contents of all its categories, and it's not recently viewed but recently edited pages that show up, because they reset or refresh their category memberships.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Has anybody opened a Phabricator ticket about the missing category lists yet?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just did - T3055.

I subscribed myself, Labster, Geth, and Bob to the ticket.

Oh,. I just noticed - almost nothing has a green link any more. Is this related to the empty category lists?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think it might be -- I believe the link coloration function is based on membership in the relevant category.

Oh, and thanks for opening the ticket. Now if only someone other than Brent actually cared about it.
-- Bob

Of course, there is a way to massively edit pages all at once, just by editing Template:Trope/Work or Module:Subpages. This isn't all that friendly to the servers, though.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Yeah, I thought about doing something like that and decided that no, I didn't want to be the one to lock up the entire wiki farm.

Oh, and it turns out someone did care, along about 3:30 in the morning my time. We have our indices back.
-- Bob

There's still a problem. Images don't appear in categories, like here.
Thanks. I've added a note to the Phabricator ticket and re-opened it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looks like that problem I mentioned was fixed.
Um. Why is it now that every second edit reported on Recent Changes is an autopatrol notice?
-- Bob

Never mind, it seems to have stopped.

Speaking of things that have stopped, the Welcome Bot, like Generalissimo Francisco Franco, is still dead.
-- Bob

Oh, just a heads-up for the other admins. I put a note on Jason taylor's talk page about using abbreviations in the material he writes. I've noticed that he's never acknowledged any communication from an admin in the past, so I added a request that he do so within 24 hours this time, with the penalty of a one-day "attention getter" tempban if he doesn't. That was 11 hours ago, and he's mad contributions to the wiki since then so he's had a chance to see that notice, but hasn't bothered yet to reply.

So, if he suddenly decides he wants to talk to an admin to find out why he's been tempbanned in a day or so... that's why.
-- Bob

Speaking of such things... If we're going to give somebody a one-day vacation from the wiki for consistently ignoring the style guide, should we turn off the account's "Autopatrolled" membership?

I'm thinking that, if we don't like somebody's edits so much that we're going to give them a tempban over it, we shouldn't be blindly accepting their contributions.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah. Autopatrol isn't a privilege, it's a tool to help manage the wiki. If the source normally needs to be double-checked, they should be patrolled by a person. If a person's edits are normally good, marking autopatrol saves everyone some time.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(05-05-2018, 09:11 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, just a heads-up for the other admins.  I put a note on Jason taylor's talk page about using abbreviations in the material he writes.  I've noticed that he's never acknowledged any communication from an admin in the past, so I added a request that he do so within 24 hours this time, with the penalty of a one-day "attention getter" tempban if he doesn't.  That was 11 hours ago, and he's mad contributions to the wiki since then so he's had a chance to see that notice, but hasn't bothered yet to reply.

So, if he suddenly decides he wants to talk to an admin to find out why he's been tempbanned in a day or so... that's why.

The user contributions list says he's been on and has made one edit 8 hours ago, but that edit was not an acknowledgment of your post 21 hours ago on his Talk page.

I'm removing his Autopatrolled membership right now. Reason:"Repeatedly refuses to acknowledge moderator warnings about posting style - this user needs to have their contributions patrolled."

Three hours to go before we know whether to give him a tempban.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Four hours, and still no ACK from Jason taylor. One 24-hour vacation from the wiki, then.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thanks for taking care of that. I was out and about longer than I expected today, and just sat down to give him his vacation, and saw that he already had received it. Now let's see if he notices and/or cares.
-- Bob

He's back and his only response, as far as I can determine, is to thank me for the message I left about abbreviations. Should we accept that as sufficient acknowledgment? After all, he's more than willing to dump a quarter to half a kilobyte at a time into examples; one would think an actual post in a thread wouldn't be too much to ask.
-- Bob