Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Trade wars are good, and easy to win,' Trump tweets
RE: 'Trade wars are good, and easy to win,' Trump tweets
Here's another CBC analysis piece: What do Trump's tariffs and Ferris Bueller have in common? Anyone? Anyone?

I was not aware that Ben Stein improvised that scene. I'm not surprised, though. I'm also not surprised that the history he presented is accurate.

And, nine decades after the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act, I'm not surprised that Trump has not learned from history. Are we sure he's capitalist-friendly?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(05-04-2018, 11:05 AM)robkelk Wrote: Here's another CBC analysis piece: What do Trump's tariffs and Ferris Bueller have in common? Anyone? Anyone?

I was not aware that Ben Stein improvised that scene. I'm not surprised, though. I'm also not surprised that the history he presented is accurate.

And, nine decades after the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act, I'm not surprised that Trump has not learned from history. Are we sure he's capitalist-friendly?

You are mistaking 'wants to help capitalists' for 'is capable of helping capitalists.' I mean, look at the man's track record. It's quite possible those of his business ventures that don't fail do so because they're excellent ways for criminals to launder money through, which keeps them propped up.
(05-04-2018, 11:05 AM)robkelk Wrote: Are we sure he's capitalist-friendly?

He's Trump friendly. This is a con man with a decades long track record of screwing over everyone and everything, running off with what's left of the money, managing to burn through it at a shocking rate, then repeating the process. His entire gimmick is built about screwing over everyone except him, while proclaiming to the world he's a genius.
So, the next round of NAFTA talks have started. Bloomberg article

Canada wants a resolution quickly because this drawn-out process is costing everybody money, and sent Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland. (The Foreign Affairs Minister is the Canadian equivalent to the US Secretary of State.)

Mexico wants a resolution quickly because elections, and sent Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo.

The USA wants a resolution quickly because elections, and sent ... Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. Not a Secretary, but somebody at a lower rung on the ladder.

C'mon, USA, how seriously are you taking this process?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, Canada thought we had a NAFTA deal in time for the USA's deadline... but the USA says no.

It's your deadline -- and it's your fault it wasn't met.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Trump passes up chance to sign a renegotiated NAFTA deal, imposing tariffs on steel and aluminium instead

Canada announces dollar-for-dollar tariffs on steel and aluminium from the USA
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
CBC Wrote:Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said Canada is hitting back with duties of up to $16.6 billion on some steel and aluminum products and other goods from the U.S. — including beer kegs, whisky, toilet paper and "hair lacquers."
Good job hitting Trump directly.  I assume that he's been using lacquer on his hair.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
You know, given how Trump's businesses are almost inextricably linked to his presidency, I think you can hit him even harder than with a general tariff. Rather, hit the Trump brand, along with the brands of his close family with tariffs.
I don't know whether it's tradition or law, but we don't single out specific companies for tariffs. Equal treatment under the law, after all.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's probably a matter of law and sheer practicality.

Rebranding isn't cheap (you take a hit in recognition), but it'd be fairly trivial to avoid.
(05-31-2018, 09:12 PM)robkelk Wrote: I don't know whether it's tradition or law, but we don't single out specific companies for tariffs. Equal treatment under the law, after all.

I believe I'm preaching to the choir, here, but ... do you even dream President Windrip would respect "the law"?

"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atombomb, the dread destroyer, who would some day come to end the world." — Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, H. Beam Piper
(06-01-2018, 07:55 AM)DHBirr Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 09:12 PM)robkelk Wrote: I don't know whether it's tradition or law, but we don't single out specific companies for tariffs. Equal treatment under the law, after all.

I believe I'm preaching to the choir, here, but ... do you even dream President Windrip would respect "the law"?

I'm talking about Canadian law. How some foreigner treats his country's laws is his country's problem.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
CBC Analysis: A trade war is a political act of economic destruction

Quote:Whether in a real war or in a trade war, waving the flag is politically popular in a way that is hard to understand to those who live through the ultimate consequences.

If I quote all of the cogent text, I'll quote the entire article... so I'll limit myself to one passage:
Quote:It all may be part the president's political campaign to convince supporters he's making America great, says Canadian economist Matilde Bombardini, currently working at California's Stanford University. But it's not economics.

"It's madness, from the economic point of view," says Bombardini.

Bombardini, on sabbatical from her job teaching economics at the University of British Columbia, has been watching the U.S. up close. And she says the U.S. trade deficit has nothing to do with bad trade deals or unfair tariffs.

"It's purely the result of their fiscal policy," she says, as the U.S. sells bonds to countries like China to make up Washington's soaring budget deficit. "They sell T-bills and they buy goods."

Basically, if the USA wants a better balance of trade, then start selling stuff. Don't just lend money to people in other countries.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
But how else are they going to cover the cost of their tax cuts for rich people and corporations which are the biggest welfare queens? </sarcasm>

And in related to this: Scott Gilmore, writing in Maclean’s recommends that American allies use, in effect,  targeted sanctions against the President of the United States.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Sanctions against the POTUS, or the "blue" "red" states?

I've already decided to spend the extra money and buy Philippine pineapple juice instead of Florida orange juice for my breakfast drink while the tariffs are in effect. (I like having some pulp in the juice, which we just don't get in apple juice any more.) Similarly, Nova Scotia rum is replacing Kentucky bourbon in my drinks cabinet.

(EDITed because I got the colour wrong. The USA does this thing in reverse as far as Canada is concerned.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-04-2018, 01:58 PM)robkelk Wrote: Sanctions against the POTUS, or the "blue" states?

I've already decided to spend the extra money and buy Philippine pineapple juice instead of Florida orange juice for my breakfast drink while the tariffs are in effect. (I like having some pulp in the juice, which we just don't get in apple juice any more.) Similarly, Nova Scotia rum is replacing Kentucky bourbon in my drinks cabinet.

If you're not going to target Windrip himself, go after the red states, not blue.  It's the Reds who're his voters.  Of course, since my state shamed me by going red — I live in one of its few blue counties — I'll still have to suffer along with the Reds....
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Oh, right - I keep forgetting you folks don't do "Tory Blue", the way the Commonwealth does.

My bad.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, the U.S. is weird, we didn't standardize on colors until quite recently, and we did it backwards:

Wikipedia Wrote:The choice of colors reverses a long-standing convention of political colors whereby red symbols (such as the Red Flag or Red Star) are associated with left-wing politics, and right-wing movements often choose blue as a contrasting color.[5] Indeed, until the 1980s, Democrats were often represented by red and Republicans by blue. The current terminology of "red states" and "blue states" came into use in the United States presidential election of 2000 on an episode of the Today show on October 30, 2000. According to The Washington Post, the terms were coined by journalist Tim Russert, during his televised coverage of the 2000 presidential election.[6] That was not the first election during which the news media used colored maps to depict voter preferences in the various states, but it was the first time a standard color scheme took hold; the colors were often reversed or different colors used before the 2000 election.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states...lue_states

In related news, I'm going to Scotland this summer, and I'm sure it will be fun to drive on the left side of the road.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Trump wants separate, 1-on-1 NAFTA talks with Canada, Mexico. Somebody should tell him that they've already been happening for months, in the context of the trilateral talks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-05-2018, 02:27 PM)robkelk Wrote: Trump wants separate, 1-on-1 NAFTA talks with Canada, Mexico. Somebody should tell him that they've already been happening for months, in the context of the trilateral talks.

why does my mind throw out the idea of Trump offering (mutually incompatible) deals to Canada and Mexico, then getting pissed off when they talk to each other and point out that he can fulfill the US's side without screwing over one (or both) of them?
(06-05-2018, 06:15 PM)Norgarth Wrote:
(06-05-2018, 02:27 PM)robkelk Wrote: Trump wants separate, 1-on-1 NAFTA talks with Canada, Mexico. Somebody should tell him that they've already been happening for months, in the context of the trilateral talks.

why does my mind throw out the idea of Trump offering (mutually incompatible) deals to Canada and Mexico, then getting pissed off when they talk to each other and point out that he can fulfill the US's side without screwing over one (or both) of them?

Possibly because that's what we're all expecting will happen.

Consider what Trump told voters during his election campaign - promises to any two groups rarely matched. It would be foolish to expect he'd change tactics now, since those tactics got him elected... and he hasn't yet learned that those tactics prevent him from getting what he wants on the world stage.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Among reader responses to a 6 June 2018 article about Windrip’s reluctance to meet world leaders at an economic summit: 

Quote:notimpressedeither commented: When the 6 leaders and Trump (because he doesn't qualify as a leader) are in the meetings they should all constantly bring up Obama's name and make positive remarks about Obama's past successes.

rjpmagnificent replied:  Donny’s head might explode. Great idea praise OBAMA in his presence until his bigoted bean goes boom.

We can hope....
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Meh - let him stay distracted with his upcoming chat in Singapore, and let everybody else get down to work. Then when he discovers at the end of the meeting what everybody else agreed to, well...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-07-2018, 03:21 PM)robkelk Wrote: Meh - let him stay distracted with his upcoming chat in Singapore, and let everybody else get down to work. Then when he discovers at the end of the meeting what everybody else agreed to, well...

He'll do what he usually does, ignore the deal, and screw over everyone that isn't him. Course, he'll do that if he's there, so at least this way the adults don't have to put up with him.
And the G6+1 summit turned into a right mess, with Trump insulting, mocking and threatening allies, then running off to praise Russia and North Korea. Good Grief, America is burning through goodwill and trust at a shocking rate.