Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polygamy still illegal in Canada
Polygamy still illegal in Canada
B.C. Supreme Court rules that Canadians do not have a Constitutional right to have more than one spouse at a time

I'm surprised that this made it as far up the court system as it did. (And there's still one more court to appeal to: the Supreme Court of Canada.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Polygamy still illegal in Canada
(03-09-2018, 03:46 PM)robkelk Wrote: B.C. Supreme Court rules that Canadians do not have a Constitutional right to have more than one spouse at a time

I'm surprised that this made it as far up the court system as it did. (And there's still one more court to appeal to: the Supreme Court of Canada.)

Whaaa...?!  Sad
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
This has been dragging out for years...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Its not legal in the US either, except I think in Utah and then you have to be a member of the Mormon Church
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Well, I wasn't going to mention the defendants's religion ... but, yeah, fundamentalist Mormons.
EDIT: Which I am lead to believe have some schismatic differences with other Mormons.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's illegal in Utah (and not practiced by mainstream Mormons). Mormon schismetics get around this by legal dodges, such as being legally divorced but still living together.
(03-10-2018, 01:32 PM)Rajvik Wrote: Its not legal in the US either, except I think in Utah and then you have to be a member of the Mormon Church

Actually it's not.

IIRC, just after the US Supreme Court ruled on whether or not polygamy was legal (they decided it was not) the founder of the Church of Latter Day Saints declared it had been revealed to him by God that they were to stop their polygamous ways.
Actually, there is a way to get around it here in the USA.

Don't be legally married to more than one person.

So long as you don't hold multiple marriage contracts and you do not attempt to game the system for the purposes of tax evasion and welfare benefits, then there's not a damn thing that American law can touch you with. That sort of business is strictly between the two that are married (if legally at all).

Granted, there's a certain degree of social stigma, but when a family is sufficiently large enough are you really gonna want to be on their bad side? Not to mention that old saw: what side of history do you want to be caught on in the end?

It's pretty much why there's been a sudden uprising in polyamory here in the USA, much to the chagrin of the Bible Belt.

I can almost see a scene playing out between a wrathful sheriff, a cool-headed lawyer, and the judge caught between them...

(Edit for accidental double-post.)
(Oh, and Hazard ninja'd me. :V )
Huh, not even those caveats in the US, learn something new every day.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd