Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump wants to put the Army on border patrol
Trump wants to put the Army on border patrol
CBC News: Trump says he wants military to help at U.S.-Mexico border

Has he never heard of the Posse Comitatus Act? Even I've heard of the Posse Comitatus Act, and I'm a Canadian.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Trump wants to put the Army on border patrol
This is actually an improvement from his earlier suggestion that the military's budget should be tapped to build his "big, beautiful wall."

As a military retiree, I'm expecting him any day to decide that since retirees aren't actively doing anything for the government any longer, we don't need our retirement pay (there's supposedly a difference between "retirement pay" and a "pension," but I never heard a good explanation of what it is).  What a savings!

Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds! 
There are ways around Posse Comitatus, like being 5 feet on the Mexican side of the border, but what it apparently is going to be is the border state's National Guard units to secure the border.

As far as the military budget being used to build the wall, arguably its doable as a national security issue. That said, the fact is the entire budget is 700 Billion and the wall is planned at 20 billion. I think even the Marines can afford to spare their share of that to secure the border. Gods know the dragging Air Force can.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

(04-03-2018, 10:20 PM)Rajvik Wrote: There are ways around Posse Comitatus, like being 5 feet on the Mexican side of the border, ...

Would that not count as an invasion of Mexico?

Teddy Roosevelt would be proud.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(04-04-2018, 08:18 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 10:20 PM)Rajvik Wrote: There are ways around Posse Comitatus, like being 5 feet on the Mexican side of the border, ...

Would that not count as an invasion of Mexico?

Teddy Roosevelt would be proud.

And won't be the last time we do so for various reasons up to and including the drug transport issue. However, I have a solution that will solve everyone's issues,  

annex everything south to either the Panama Canal or the Darian swamp and put the wall there. Everyone in central America is now a US citizen and the US has the legal ability to cut the cartels to pieces while cleaning up places like Juarez.

Note, this suggestion is semi sarcastic. It could work but no one would ever go for it because for as many people that live south of the US border that want to come to this country probably twice as many more probably don't.  BA. Probably knows about the Reconquista, I don't know how anyone who spends any amount of time in the southwest US wouldn't,  but that group specifically wants to take back the "Spanish" possessions for Mexico.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd