Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Info] Status Updates
RE: [OOC][Info] Status Updates
I haven't responded because the last week I have been finishing a trial contract to try to get a job, getting threatened to have a defamation lawsuit against me.  Then instead of a lawsuit they filed internal complaints against me by two different people; I wrote one counter-complaint, accusing the other side of at least four criminal acts, including a felony.  And my best friend came to visit from Holland.

The spoons thing is interesting.  The TL;DR of it is that people with some kind of disability only have so many activity tokens ("spoons"), and anything you want to do consumes one of these.  Most people are time limited, but people with disabilities have additional limits, beyond which they are not okay.  The thing is, I'm like this too.  I can do most things without limits, but to me social interaction is very tiring, often physically.

So all of those things above turned out to be really good, but they still consume spoons.  Even the lawsuit thing.  Because at some point I came to the realization that this is what it's like to be a woman, and what all of the #MeToo is about.  Being exploited for no real reason, then when I simply try to tell the truth about what happened, people with money and power intimidate me into silence.  Of course, I'm almost 40 years old so it's not really living like women do, to experience it the first time at this age.  But it's enough to provide empathy; it's enough to be able to write the situation with experience.  The situation is not resolved, but I think maybe... maybe I can write Utena fic now. Achievement unlocked, I guess.

I understand BA's desire to get feedback, but the thing is, it takes a whole spoon to do so for me.  It's not like just reading or watching TV, it's needing to react, and give feedback.  And because we've had issues in feedback in the past, I can't just dash off what I'm thinking -- I have to think carefully to put in terms that won't make you defensive.  I have to be careful what I say, because my normal mode of blunt communication is ineffective with you, and you deserve better.  It's also not passive reading either, because in reading I always have to consider the implications on what my own writing would be, which makes my mind wander and thus reading much slower.

In any case giving feedback takes a social interaction token, and guess what, for the past week I have been all the fuck out of 'em.  I tried reading it last week, I really did.  All I could manage was one question on Discord, and I forgot most of it beyond a vague sense of the story being okay.  Sorry.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I knew about everything else... except for the friend visiting from Holland.

Yeah.  That'd be about where the scale goes "DING!" for me, too.

For me, my spoons are typically used up by anxiety triggers.  For example, a delivery I make goes wrong for some reason - like I accidentally give out the wrong order to the wrong customer.  Even if the customer is very kind and understanding of the situation, that still uses up a spoon for me.  I legitimately feel terrible for not providing perfect service.

But if a customer is upset about how I messed up?  That can use up two, three, or even four spoons depending on 1) How badly I actually fucked up, and 2) How irate the customer is.

I know you might be thinking, "But what about when you do good and get praised for it?"  Well.  Because of how I was raised, being praised like that hardly registers - by the standards I was raised under, I've merely achieved the "bare minimum".  I mean, sure.  It strokes the ego alright.  But that might as well be nothing but raw cotton fibers fluffed up with hot air.  One little mistake on my part can put a lit match to it and then *POOF!* there goes my day and I feel like utter crap.

Before I was on antidepressants, I had very few spoons to keep in reserve.  In fact, more often than not, I was out of spoons before I ever even woke up for the day.  But then I went on antidepressants and suddenly I had a lot more spoons to make use of.

But let me reveal this, just to put it into perspective how bad it is for me.

I'm taking 450mg of Bupropion (aka Wellbutrin) in three 150mg time-released pills.

This is the absolute most that is considered a safe prescription.

But there's also a kicker thrown in as well.

My psychologist noticed that I had been on Mirtazapine (aka Remeron) in order to help moderate my sleep cycle.

She said to keep taking it.

Now, Mirtazapine is pretty safe stuff.  Someone can take as much as 1000mg in a single dose and the worst it'll do is knock you right the fuck out.  But it has a very interesting reaction when combined with Bupropion.

Essentially?  It retards your liver's ability to metabolize the Bupropion, creating a multiplicative effect.

Now.  Let this sink in for a minute.

I'm at the maximum safe dose of Bupropion a doctor can prescribe.

And she has me taking another antidepressant that effectively multiplies that "safe dosage" several times over.

And some days?  It's still not enough.

Just imagine how bad it is for me when I forget to take my meds - particularly when Bupropion is absolutely infamous for its come-down.  I've experienced it a few times already, and let me tell you, the only thing that kept me from seriously considering something ill-advised was that I knew it was just because I was coming down from Bupropion.

So, forgetting a single dose?  I might as well have just used up as many as ten spoons.  I can still function, but only just barely, and those little, every day mistakes hit me like a Mack Truck.

So yeah.  While it's not Lupus or some other autoimmune disorder, the spoon theory still applies.  And it is such a very precarious situation for me, because I am so very prone to making mistakes like forgetting to take my meds or getting my prescriptions renewed.

(And before anyone worries about me revealing such information about myself?  What the hell are they gonna do?  Point at me and laugh?  Let them.  I'd love to see the look on their face when I reply: "Har-dee-har you chuckle-fuck.  You should probably be on meds too if trying to get my goat is how you get your jollies."  And it's not like I'm going to have a career anytime soon where my mental health could possibly pose an issue.)
To stretch this analogy past the breaking point, I've just had a couple of my "spoons" filled at work with things where I have no choice but to give a fork. So I'll be less-able that usual to work on TNB for a couple of weeks.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Well, in that case I think it's safe to say that we can all use some time off to focus on more important things. Stay safe and sane out there, folks.
All right, folks.

I've had enough.

What happens from here on out depends on you guys.  But I can't do this anymore.  I'm getting too emotionally invested in this, and that isn't healthy for me right now.  In other words, the problem isn't that I don't care anymore, but that I care too much.

I mean that.  I care too much about this damn thing for my own good.

This won't be the end, but like I said, what happens from here on out depends on you guys.

You guys say Ben's a Mary Sue?  That there's nobody that doesn't hate him?  Fine.  He can be the Big Bad instead.

You think I'm fucking around?  I'm not.

But for now?

I'm gonna go and find my diphenhydramine and take the maximum safe dose.  Because instead of screwing around with this shit, I need to be fucking sleeping.  I've literally been burning myself out working on Less Than, and then all this fucking pushback with the SWA thing happens...

Yeah.  I'm just tired.  And I need to walk away for a while.