Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Is America
This Is America
I'm not going to put this video into a post so that people can simply click on it to watch the video.

I'm not even going to link to the video directly.

Yeah, it's that kind of video. I want people to click at least twice to watch it, so you can't say you weren't warned.

Here's an article about the video, which has a link to the video:
This Is America
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: This Is America
I get why people consider it offensive, but it seems to me to be at least as much a commentary on US culture (guns and African descended minorities in particular) as it's an artistic expression.
RE: This Is America
I did not find it offensive. What I did find is that the imagery is densely packed with information. Certainly rewards 5 or six viewings. Actually the song didn't add much IMO.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg